Author Topic: tau 2 adjustments  (Read 2828 times)

Offline johnelotTopic starter

• Contributor
tau 2 adjustments
« on: October 18, 2021, 08:47:39 am »
i just got a scope with a tau 336 core in it , but the gain seems a little low or the dde maybe is set low , on the mode where hotter shows red , things need to be red hot to be red but other units i have seen will show red at body temp, reading threads on here , i pulled it apart and it looks like if i take the rear board off i will be left with the basic tau core - i am asking - if i connect to this with the gui i downloaded and adjust the gain or dde , will it do that and will it remember that when i re-fit it ?   i cant expect a perfect answer but any thoughts would be helpfull , thanks .  the scope only has a basic brightness control on the buttons .i include some pics
behind the first board i think is the tau 50 pin plug that i will use 

Offline svgurus

• Regular Contributor
Re: tau 2 adjustments
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 12:16:46 am »
what brand/model of scope?) case looks like tau with compact shutter, original 50pin connector is under that green board. dont short-circuit something on board while attaching VPC or self-made cables) low contrast of picture is usually because of low gain being set, default gain is high/auto - maybe low was set ho hide some defects. funny to say but i didnt try putting my cores back in devices but you should be fine)

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 06:17:15 pm »
its the atn thor 336 (the original one that seem to be well respected )so i think its a tau2 , it does not have a shutter as it needs the cap over to manual calibrate it .i have downloaded the flir gui and asked for a price on the basic vpc to plug it from a shop but no answer yet - might have to send to usa for one.  i dont know the best place to get one in uk , thanks for the reply

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 06:54:21 pm »
The core itself just has a serial link to control it (would be over USB 2 using the standard analog output VPC), so getting control should be as easy as breaking it out, using a serial to USB adapter, and starting the GUI.  It will also remember commands given, but if the initialization of the other hardware in your scope is giving the core commands, it could quite easily just overwrite whatever you set and go back to normal for it, since it would control the core just as easily.

You may be able to get the more visible highlighting results from either locking the autoranging to a specific place (if you have the option), or selecting a higher contrast palate for the visualization.  I don't know if the scope has environment input options, but messing with those could also be worth a try.

Since the core itself is export restricted if higher than 9Hz framerate, it may be trickier to get the VPC from the US, it's probably best to go through a local vendor to make sure there are no issues.  Not that I think the VPC itself is restricted, but as it's an accessory to something that is, it may count as restricted to an online vendor.

Offline svgurus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 09:01:14 pm »
its the atn thor 336 (the original one that seem to be well respected )so i think its a tau2 , it does not have a shutter as it needs the cap over to manual calibrate it .i have downloaded the flir gui and asked for a price on the basic vpc to plug it from a shop but no answer yet - might have to send to usa for one.  i dont know the best place to get one in uk , thanks for the reply
Never seen shutterless tau, but my compact from scout looks similar) you are 100% sure yours is 336?) Atn makes new imagers with 384 resolution and hdmi output, they are not tau, hopefully they are not some other manufacturers cores with same case\50pin) saw pictures of Guide cores very similar to regular-shutter Tau

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 09:52:14 pm »
i dont think it will be "shutterless " but that they maybe left the shutter out or switched it off as the lens must be coverd to calibrate it , yes it is the 336 as its the earlier one just before they started to use the 384 type.
i think they were made by another company in the usa and bought by atn or atn bought the company, i dont know .
as DaJMasta said the atn hardware might just overwrite my adjustments but i will give it a try if i can get hold of a vpn

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 09:05:08 am »
i sent for the vpc module to plug in the back of the tau - if i ever get it i will update

Offline hitechtalent

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 12:01:39 am »
Hello,

Did you ever obtain the VPC board?

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 07:15:45 pm »
yes i got the vpc and have been adjusting the tau in the scope - it holds the settings , which is good but every time i make a minor adjustment i have to re-assemble the scope to try it - when i connected it to the software i found it had no dde (was on 17 and that seems to be where dde starts)  and it was on default preset .
i tried the other presets like low scene contrast, indoors, outdoors etc. but went back to the default as for a riflescope that seems best - not so much background but a smooth image and animals stand out very well , i did increase the dde to 25 , no doubt i will have it to bits again to try to "improve" it more but its a bit of a fiddle to dismantle it every time

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf