Author Topic: The TI bug is biting - second camera - ISG Talisman Wasp  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Robert763Topic starter

• Super Contributor
The TI bug is biting - second camera - ISG Talisman Wasp
« on: March 06, 2021, 03:53:54 pm »
Having first owned a TIC about twenty five years ago, I've not had one for about 10 years. Following buying a cheap but only partially working Thermovison 110 late last year, the bug has bitten. I just bought a ISG Talisman Wasp on ebay. It is ex airport fire service so not too beat-up and is complete with case and a couple of batteries. The price was right too, my offer was accepted  :) I'll post pictures when it arrives. It will be my first BST sensor camera. It will be nice to have standard video output too. It's probably NTSC but I can deal with that.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: The TI bug is biting - second camera - ISG Talisman Wasp
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 04:12:40 pm »
I have a number of Talisman Wasps in the garage so may be able to help with parts if needed. The battery is a standard ICOM handheld radio battery so easy to obtain or source a charger, if required. The batteries are also easily opened (screws used) in order to fit new cells.

Fraser
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 04:37:55 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 04:18:30 pm »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 04:20:10 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 06:37:11 pm »
Hi Fraser,
Thanks for the reply. I'd spotted that the batteries appeared to be Icom units, but good to have confirmation. I had an IC2E handheld transceiver in the 1980's
The unit comes with two batteries and a charger.
I had seen your earlier thread on the Wasp and also information on the sensor engine on your website.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 03:59:16 pm »
The Wasp arrived OK
A quick check and all appears OK.
Quick screen grab of me but from too close for proper focus.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 05:50:17 pm »
Not bad.

You may have a good number of dead pixels that have not been caught in the dead pixel map though. Not surprising considering the use these cameras see though. It could just be just noise ‘sparklies’ in your frame capture though.

Fraser
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 08:42:32 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 07:36:24 pm »
I don't see any fixed bright or dark pixels, I think it is just noise. I need to look into the RS232 port next. I have some of the JST connectors, just need to find the right one. I know there is software out there.
It came complete with the proper "peli" case, 3 good batteries ad the charge. Not bad for £200

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 08:42:42 pm »
 :-+

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 11:55:16 am »
I don't see any fixed bright or dark pixels, I think it is just noise. I need to look into the RS232 port next. I have some of the JST connectors, just need to find the right one. I know there is software out there.
It came complete with the proper "peli" case, 3 good batteries ad the charge. Not bad for £200

Looking at the two just off your nose, these could be motor commutation noise - a white followed by black a few lines later.  Easy to check, just touch the wheel or wobble the camera and see if they move.

Bill

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 08:14:40 pm »
I dug out a plug to fit the configuration connector, it's a 6 pin Hirose HR10A (not sure why I said JST before). I can't find any cnnection infornation though. When researching before buying the camera I was sure I saw a reference to the configuration software. I now beginning to doubt myself as I can't find anything.

Does anyone have any information on using the the configuration connector on the ISG Talisman with BST engine?

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 11:37:32 pm »
If Talisman is anything like Argus 2, the 'BST control' RS232 is likely to be a separate entity to the 'camera control' RS232.  I am not aware of any ISG 'camera' control software in public.

The 'BST' one for the later Raytheon core (205D) is public.  Which PCB you have will depend on the date of your camera.

Does the BST control PCB have a multiturn pot on it and edge connector as Frasers' images ?
If so that is the 'old' (200A) PCB, and while I am sure it probably also had RS232, that was only for Raytheon use, not customers.

The 'new' 205D PCB has no pot and a connector at both ends with RS232 on it for the software that is 'out there'.  I can look out the pinout later this week on an Argus camera.

I'd suspect the 200A pinout was the same though, so may be worth trying.

Bill

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf