Author Topic: Digital Zoom FLIR T620 Question  (Read 834 times)

Offline emd802Topic starter

Digital Zoom FLIR T620 Question
« on: February 21, 2019, 03:58:10 pm »
Does anyone know how the digital zoom feature on the FLIR T620 works within the software.  From what I can tell, the "zoomed" in image that is saved and displayed in FLIR Tools has gone through some sort of image processing to sharpen up the spatial resolution of the image.  The raw image saved out in .CSV format is much coarser than what is seen in FLIR Tools.

Offline railrun

• Regular Contributor
Re: Digital Zoom FLIR T620 Question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 06:07:28 pm »
Please upload a normal and a zoomed-in picture. Thanks

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Digital Zoom FLIR T620 Question
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 06:32:32 pm »
In my experience the industrial FLIR cameras that I have used always enhance the zoomed image. That is to say they take the reduced number of physical pixels in the zoomed image and interpolate them back up to the cameras full resolution. I did some tests on my PM695 switching between using a close up lens at 6" distance and a digital zoomed image from a greater distance without the close up lens. The FOV was approximately the same in both cases. I was surprised that I initially could not see the normally lower resolution, more pixelated, zoomed image. Both the close up lens and digital zoomed images looked similar. The reason was the zoomed image had been interpolated using a decent algorithm and actually looked very good.

In addition, many FLIR industrial thermal cameras offer constantly variable zoom instead of just stepped X2, X4, X8 zoom. The Interpolation algorithm must be pretty sophisticated to cope with captured image to display resolution mismatches.

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 10:32:49 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf