Author Topic: Thermal cameras and the sun  (Read 3812 times)

Offline sam1275Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Thermal cameras and the sun
« on: March 07, 2017, 07:40:46 pm »
Hello.
So out of curious, I want (and wanted) to know if thermal camera will be damaged by sun, and I read this:
https://www.ifsecglobal.com/are-thermal-cameras-damaged-by-solar-radiation/
It says VoX is immune to solar damage, while BST and A-Si are not, is it true?
Thanks.

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
Re: Thermal cameras and the sun
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 06:05:01 pm »
Hi Sam,

That may be true of older ASi, but the current ULIS products are no worse than a VOx.
Can't recall a problem with BST which, as it is a ceramic block not a silicon / vanadium wafer, should be a lot better anyway.

All show temporary effects, and a lot of cameras will close the iris / calibration flag when turned off just in case.

regards
Bill

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 08:32:32 pm »
Thank you Bill!
Block the IR when not working is a good idea that I even thought before, but none of my camera does that  :-//
Sam

Offline mahony

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 01:12:08 pm »
I already 'tested' my TE-Q1+ against the sun - accidentely actually - and it seems to handle it without any issues. Altough I have to say the sun was already quite low and not the clearest day - not sure how it would handle a clear summers day noon sun? Anyone got definate info about the TE detector? I quess it is A-Si but found no confirmation up to now.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 07:13:21 pm »
I already 'tested' my TE-Q1+ against the sun - accidentely actually - and it seems to handle it without any issues. Altough I have to say the sun was already quite low and not the clearest day - not sure how it would handle a clear summers day noon sun? Anyone got definate info about the TE detector? I quess it is A-Si but found no confirmation up to now.
http://www.systemplus.fr/reverse-costing-reports/thermal-expert-infrared-camera-for-smartphones/
Seems it's a VoX titanium oxide sensor.

Thermal-app is a A-Si:
http://www.systemplus.fr/reverse-costing-reports/opgal-therm-app-infrared-camera-ulis-ir-microbolometer/
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:19:22 am by sam1275 »

The following users thanked this post: joe-c

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 07:54:58 pm »

http://www.systemplus.fr/reverse-costing-reports/thermal-expert-infrared-camera-for-smartphones/
Seems it's a VoX.

Report suggests i3 are producing a Ti-Ox to avoid the Honeywell patents/licenses now concentrated in the few US players.

Bill

Offline mahony

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 08:50:23 am »
Interesting! Didn't find that one recently - thanks for the info.
The TE manual says avoid exposure to sun and other high intensity targets (very hot sources, lasers, ...) - so it seems like they are not in general considered 'sun safe'.  :-\

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 10:21:38 am »

Seems it's a VoX.

Report suggests i3 are producing a Ti-Ox to avoid the Honeywell patents/licenses now concentrated in the few US players.

Bill
Thank you Bill, I've never heard that sensor material before. How's TI-OX different from VoX? Compare by performance or other specs?

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 01:44:14 pm »

Bill
Thank you Bill, I've never heard that sensor material before. How's TI-OX different from VoX? Compare by performance or other specs?

Some more information:
http://www.google.com/patents/US7442933

The spec on the i3 detector and system look comparable with current VOx / A-Si (in NEtD etc) but we do not know how easy or difficult it is to drive in a camera. 

Part of me thinks that if Ti-Ox was that good, it would have come out in the 1990's with the US rifle-sight programmes that gave us VOx and the US A-Si cores.  If nothing else it sounds more process-friendly than VOx

regards
Bill

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 02:42:43 pm »
Thank you very much Bill!

Offline mahony

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 07:54:35 pm »
Thanks Bill for the Infos!

Regarding performance i3 states 50mK using the F/1.0 lens - what I have seen so far it seems to be (at least on my camera - doing some statistics on evenly illuminated NUCed frames) more like 60-80mK but still quite good for the price they ask.

Offline joe-c

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 08:19:08 pm »
Interesting information here. thanks.

btw... i asked the TE Support a while ago about the "sun Safe". they told me a few seconds are not a problem.
but a longer exposure will damage the detector.

Freeware Thermal Analysis Software: ThermoVision_Joe-C
Some Thermal cameras: Kameras

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 11:09:31 pm »
Regarding performance i3 states 50mK using the F/1.0 lens - what I have seen so far it seems to be (at least on my camera - doing some statistics on evenly illuminated NUCed frames) more like 60-80mK but still quite good for the price they ask.

No-one ever said that the detector is being run in the manner that gives you the NETD of 50mK.  That mode might well be incompatible with producing a working camera.

No one ever said that the externally presented image or image data has the same noise as the sensor.

:-X  :-X

Bill
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 11:22:12 pm by Bill W »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf