Author Topic: Thermal Imaging Gallery II  (Read 57860 times)

Offline mahony

• Regular Contributor
Re: Thermal Imaging Gallery II
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2020, 10:36:33 am »
Today: micro panorama town from 22 frames captured free hand.
Camera: DIY based on Lepton3 (from dead FOne Gen2) and Teensy 3.6
Lens: Lepton3 standard 50°ish
Processing:
- raw to png
- 2x upscale w/ IrfanView
- stitching w/ ICE
- brigthness/contrast w/ IrfanView and 0.5x downsampling

I initially stitched w/o upscaling which resulted in some errors and also some loss in image sharpness/contrast. Upscaling seems to really help with this - so might be worth trying especially on low res imagery.

I attached the used original size png-images just in case someone wants to play with this.

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2020, 08:06:11 pm »
old test footage that I am currently working on for a small video.

shown here is a bumblebee hovering. Those bees are isolated naturally but need to warm up for flight.

MIRICLE 110K-35 with 32 mm f/1 lens on close focus. recorded the analog out into PAL resolution and working in Resolve at qPAL (1440x1152).

Custom palette I made in Resolve using the RGB splitter (alt+y) and very carefully doing just the Y curves for all the channels. I am learning new methods and getting more control - this is just linear gamma tho. I also added the inverted version of the palette, as I like to see both ways for different views. I have seen this palette before but don't recall the origin or name.

Offline alex871

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2020, 02:01:44 pm »
Hti 301 with xinfrared app (night)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 02:03:34 pm by alex871 »

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2020, 11:38:51 am »
Subject: Cheap 3-output USB charger that runs rather hot: thermal, visible and X-Ray composite image.

Image hue and saturation taken from thermal image; lightness taken from an average of the visible and X-Ray. Other combinations are possible and can result in some really wacky-looking images.

Thermal image - 640x480 from FLIR SC-660

Visible image - from FLIR SC-660's (rather poor) visible camera

X-Ray - Scanmax cabinet, microfocus tube at 35kV (highest it'll do), 4Mpix solid-state sensor (I invite you to look at the full resolution X-Ray - here's a small snippet at full res; the full image is 2340x2368, slightly more than a 4k screen)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 10:20:25 am by Ultrapurple »
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

The following users thanked this post: DaneLaw, Durrfred

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2020, 11:58:21 am »
Alternate version, using just thermal and (positive) X-Ray:

Earlier version (from 2015) using a different X-Ray setup (IIRC, 55kV) and a Therm-App camera, no visible image:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 09:57:43 am by Ultrapurple »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2020, 07:43:19 pm »
Toronto police cracking down on illegal car racing
(video may have a leading ad)

https://www.cp24.com/video?clipId=2019891&jwsource=cl
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: DaneLaw

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2020, 10:07:27 am »
@Bud - Interesting though that video is (and some of the pictures are such superb resolution and low noise I'd sell my granny for the camera), I'm not sure that it belongs in the 'your thermal images' gallery - it's more the sort of thing for the thermal imaging in mainstream media thread. Unless of course you filmed it in your day job...

Just my $0.03 (adjusted for inflation). Anyone's welcome to tell me I'm wrong, and I'll listen.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 10:09:07 am by Ultrapurple »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2020, 02:01:59 pm »
Right, should be in the mainstream media thread, mods please move - thank you.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2020, 07:19:13 pm »
Patio of a pub in a small English village, early lunchtime.

Camera: Seek Reveal Pro FF, 320x240 native

Three images put together with Microsoft Image Composite Editor (ICE).

Version 1: using images straight from camera, composited in ICE, resized 2x in Paint Shop Pro  (PSP), 'one step noise removal', 'sharpen more'

Version 2: same images, resized 2x in PSP, composited in ICE, back to PSP for 'one step noise removal', 'sharpen more'

I'm interested to note that the Version 2 image is subjectively much better than the Version 1. I've felt for some time that it was probably a good idea to increase the size of images before compositing; these two samples indicate I may have been right.

The third image, a montage of four similar shots of a dog at the same pub, show the importance of picking your palette. I generally like to work in black and white for thermal images. The B&W image of the dog is easy to recognise, but it's far harder to identify the subject in the other images, even when you know it's a dog. (Images re-sized 2x in PSP then put together as one; no other major processing).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 07:21:59 pm by Ultrapurple »

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2020, 08:26:29 pm »
Just got a CAT S62 phone with a built in Flir sensor, This is one of the first pictures taken with it, nine month old puppy sleeping. Never had a thermal camera before and did not realise that you could get phones with them built in until I saw Big Clive with one some time ago, waited until they released the S62 though as it was supposed to be a considerable improvement on the earlier versions. So far I am impressed with both the phone and the thermal camera.

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2020, 08:12:24 am »
Interesting to compare the dog images from the CAT S62 with those from the Seek Reveal Pro FF, particularly the greyscale one.

Offline Durrfred

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2020, 01:39:52 am »
Absolutely stunning!

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2020, 10:05:50 am »
I wonder if that image from the S62 is out of focus. Here's one from my upgraded E40. No resolution increase, just straight out of the camera. (Viewed in Flir Tools, gets it an automatic upgrade to 640x480).

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2020, 03:27:07 pm »
It is a very hairy puppy, a radiator has sharp edges so must be the fur.

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2020, 04:04:42 pm »
Re CAT S62: There isa Lepton 3.5 in side and that has a shitty lens. It is fixed focus so somehwere between 85cm and 5m. However there are other issues with it's implementation - VividIR is a really crude sharpening algorithm that FLIR employs and doesn't give any details about. It sometimes gives better images, but often only hides the issues with such a low resolution core. the further issue is that no matter what image you shoot, thermal only, MSX, alpha... you will get upscaled to VGA resolution (while you are an 16th of that). And it is the blurry type of upscaling that makes this very useless past "detecting something", if you manage to see if between the 7hz. It is not any noteable improvement over the CAT S60 with a Lepton 2.5 from just the experience. The further issue is that 3rd party apps like ThermalCamera+ By George Friedrich isn't supported for the newer leptons anymore (CAT S62 or even FLIR One Pro(which the CAT S62 has integrated)). Otherwise the phone is baller I am just sad about the wasted space for none exsisting bottons, no headphone jack and grounded screen corners for what ever reason ever.

But to keep this on topic, this is a gallery so I will post something. Here is an image shot with a real VGA core(MIRICLE 307K-25) and 32mm f/1 lens. It's captured via analog out and saved with a ImmersionRC PowerPlay. As this is monochrome with AGC within like center 70% and <2000kbps the quality is awful and I am seeing interlacing artifacts all over the place. The image is edited directly within Windows Photos as I am still working on the correct project settings to get the footage working in Resolve.

self portrait

Offline Simon1983

« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2020, 11:17:10 pm »
Seek Shot Pro
320x240 not edited (straight from camera)

Hi there,
just got a Seek Shot Pro and tried it out. As I also read in this forum, I also found the images very noisy at low spans. At 20°C or more span I find the images quite good. Even I think the Shot Pro has fixed focus, it seems to sometimes have trouble taking sharp images (especially the stove in the last picture). Still, I'm pretty happy with the device.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:18:46 pm by Simon1983 »
Greetings from Germany

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2020, 07:59:08 am »
just got a Seek Shot Pro ... it seems to sometimes have trouble taking sharp images (especially the stove in the last picture).

Thermal is often like that: sharp edges can be really hard to achieve.

There are so many factors working against one in terms of achieving good picture quality (compared to a mid-range cellphone visible image).

1 - resolution - this is a big issue: you just don't have many pixels, and they are all (necessarily) processed nearly to death in order to get a usable image. A mid-range 320x240 camera has 0.077 megapixels but no self-respecting cellphone boasts anything less than 10 megapixels - that's a factor of 130 times more resolution.

2 - lens quality - whilst it is possible to create optically perfect lenses at LWIR, it can be horribly expensive. Commodity thermal cameras use the simpler lens designs (eg fewer elements) and are often constructed with cheaper, lower performance materials produced to lower precision. That all helps to keep the device affordable. One of the lenses I have for my FLIR SC-660 lists at about the same price as a small car (and it's not all down to what I call "FLIR Tax"). Also, thermal camera lenses are normally as large-aperture as possible, within the cost constraints, which means the depth of field is limited. For fixed-focus cameras the manufacturer sets the lens up for roughly the hyperfocal distance and hopes for the best.

3 - wide frequency range - this is a subtle corollary to (2) and, in effect, means you have no chance of getting sharp images: typical LWIR cameras respond to a wavelength range of 7µm to 14µm, a 2:1 range. It is simply impossible for a simple lens to bring all of those wavelengths into sharp focus at the same time. The best you can hope for is that your subject will emit the majority of its energy in a moderately narrow range, but the nature of blackbody radiation (which we're looking at) means that's unlikely to happen. (In visible light lenses you get 'chromatic aberration', perhaps most often noticed as purple fringing on edges. These days even phone cameras have pretty well-designed multi-element lenses that minimise the effect, but applying the same level of complexity to a thermal camera lens is difficult-to-impossible, not least because there is no LWIR equivalent of the subtly different glass types used in visible lenses).

4 - processing - touched on in (1), but you really do need to understand that thermal imaging sensors are a very different beast from visible light cameras; adjacent pixels on a thermal sensor can have wildly different characteristics. These are mapped individually (pixel by pixel, sensor by sensor) by the manufacturer and for each sensor an individualised 'non-uniformity correction' data set is created - basically a big table of data that describes the offsets, non-linearities, drift characteristics and scaling differences of each individual pixel. Every pixel in every frame from a thermal sensor has its output tweaked according to the corresponding data points in the NUC table. And then there's noise reduction: thermal sensors are noisy, not least because they are responding to infinitesimally tiny variations in temperature. If you have a visible light camera with adjustable ISO, imagine running it at its highest ISO setting all the time: that's essentially how a thermal camera lives its life. For any given sensor type the only practical way to reduce its actual noise level is to use a larger-aperture lens. I have germanium lenses as wide as f/0.75; my widest photographic lens is f/1.4 and I believe the widest aperture 35mm camera lens in common production is f/0.95 (Nikon 58mm). Stanley Kubrick famously used one-third of the world's supply of ultra-wide aperture f/0.7 lenses (Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm) during the filming of Barry Lyndon - but I digress...

Sorry I've warbled on so much (and I've probably missed some important stuff) but hopefully this goes some way to explain some of what's going on. Reading back over what I've written I realise there's a lot more that could be said - for example, I mentioned the hyperfocal distance in (2), whereas it usually isn't appropriate to focus a thermal lens there because the low resolution of the sensor means that anything further than a certain distance will be too small for the sensor to detect, so it makes sense to focus a little nearer than hyperfocal ... and so it goes on.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:27:40 pm by Ultrapurple »

The following users thanked this post: DaneLaw, metaentity

Offline Simon1983

« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2020, 01:15:09 pm »
@ultrapurple: Thanks a lot for the detailed info's; some I knew a bit of, but a lot of was new. Came to thermography by owning a CAT S60. I'm still learning. Like with the Shot Pro, at first I was shocked about the calibration frequency of nearly every two seconds. The longer it runs, the longer the interval gets.

I just bought the Seek for my hobby (electronics). Before I looked in both thermal imaging gallery's but didn't find a lot about the Seek Shot series. So I just wanted to contribute and show other hobbyists that have a small budget what they could expect from this device.
Greetings from Germany

Offline bap2703

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2020, 05:53:07 pm »
@Ultrapurple

You forgot to add that thermal cameras (microbolometer type) are SLOW.
I feel that they are designed to deliver a VIDEO output around 25~60 images/second.
Hence they can capture a some motion blur.
Also when your eyes and brain look at a video stream that might look fine.
Take a still frame from that and it would look way worse than you thought.

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2020, 06:23:09 pm »
@Ultrapurple

You forgot to add that thermal cameras (microbolometer type) are SLOW.

No I didn't forget that. They are not as slow as you suggest. The frame rate is determined primarily by the readout hardware (ROIC) and back-end processing.

The ultimate limiting factor is probably the thermal time constant of each pixel. Many microbolometer datasheets publish this figure - for instance in the Ulis Pico384 Gen2 it is quoted as <10ms, meaning that the microbolometers would be happy at ~100 frames per second. Other parts of the sensor limit the practical output to of this device 60fps. But exactly this sensor is used in several <9Hz thermal cameras: like I said, it's the back end that primarily sets the speed.

There are a number of microbolometer-based thermal cameras that operate in the hundreds of frames per second range. FLIR offers a LWIR camera that runs 1280x1024 resolution at 180Hz (the X8500sc SLS) and also other thermal cameras that quote 29,000 frames per second. But we won't see any of those at hobbyist prices anytime soon.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:27:48 pm by Ultrapurple »

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2020, 10:21:08 am »
Domestic hot water radiator before and after bleeding out air.

Images made with Seek Reveal Pro FF.

The following users thanked this post: frenky

Offline bap2703

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2020, 05:58:38 pm »
Ultrapurple: the time constant is exactly like your first order lowpass filter bandwith. Sure nothing prevents you from working at higher frequency, you just lose signal.

That flir camera is called "SLS" because it's not using microbolometers but photodiodes.
Photodiodes are much sensitive and faster because there's only one fast process involved: photons are converted instantly to electrons-hole pairs that you just collect to count them.

The following users thanked this post: Ultrapurple

Offline AkiTaiyo

• Contributor
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2020, 10:34:12 am »
Hot gas from a small candle.
And a Nixie Clock..

Industrial 384x288 8-14um camera.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 10:45:36 am by AkiTaiyo »

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2021, 12:09:28 pm »
Therm-App Pro (640x480, Ulis 17µm), 19mm f/1.1, ThermViewer driver software, black hot, no post-processing.

My left arm three days after receiving my first Oxford AstraZeneca Covid-19 inoculation. Note that the temperature difference is only a fraction of a degree or so; it's nowhere near as dramatic as it looks. The camera is just pretty sensitive.

It is instructive to compare this with a 'flu jab from five or so years ago, taken with a regular Therm-App.

I showed this older image to the person giving the Covid-19 jabs and was told that it was my body's T-cells rushing to my defence against the invaders.

I should add that I've recently updated my phone from a 2016 high-end model to a 2020 high-end model (I tend to buy last year's flagship in very-good-used condition, saving myself a fortune compared to this-year's-flagship-on-a-contract). The difference in usability with ThermViewer and the Therm-App Pro is startling. Whereas the Exynos 8890-based 2016 phone struggled with the necessary processing and often dropped and/or corrupted frames, the newer Exynos 900-based device delivers silky-smooth images and video. It just reminds me what a darn good camera the Therm-App Pro is and makes me sad that Opgal no longer make them.

(Addendum: I quickly got used to the genetically modified aerial that grew on the side of my head to let the Bill Gates vaccine chip communicate with the secret Microsoft satellite. And as an unexpected bonus, I now have amazingly fast Wi-Fi).

Edit 2 March 2021: In the light of Facebook coming down hard on people who spread anti-vaccine messages, I want to make it perfectly clear (for the benefit of the hard-of-understanding) that my 'addendum' above was humour.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 02:07:19 pm by Ultrapurple »

The following users thanked this post: Ambassador

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2021, 12:57:57 pm »
Moonshot with a 150mm f/1 Lens in a MIRICLE 110K.
The lens has been disassembled and I am freely holding the front element and the rear focusing group.

It's not collimated or in focus, but it shows that I'm aiming for. There have been better captures of the moon posted before me. This is a very artistic take and also a personal milestone. It's a custom palette I designed for this very image as I submitted it for a "golden ratio" photography challenge. Blue is cold. And the non uniform sky is caused by me holding this in my hands at the rear.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf