Author Topic: Thermal Imaging Gallery II  (Read 57639 times)

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Thermal Imaging Gallery II
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 09:55:15 pm »
Chaos Communication Camp 2019, Fairy Dust (the rocket)

Camera: Autoliv NV2 on Raspberry Pi
Postprocessing: GIMP, some remapping

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2019, 08:04:08 am »
Which is which?

One of these images is a black hot thermal, the other is a B&W visible light image. To the trained eye it'll be fairly obvious which is which but I wonder whether the casual observer will immediately be able to do so.

No inference should be taken from the relative sizes of the images; I did some scaling to make the objects appear roughly the same size. Both images are crops from the middle of a larger image. The thermal camera recorded a span of about 30°C so it wasn't exactly a noisy image, however the visible light camera frankly isn't that good and was struggling a bit.

Device used: FLIR SC-660 thermal and built-in visible light camera. Both images fairly similarly processed from in-camera JPG using Paint Shop Pro X.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 12:38:45 pm by Ultrapurple »
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2019, 02:11:48 pm »
TE-Q1
Overcast dawn with thin fog
Even though it makes a lot of sense it always catches me off guard how uniformly warm the world out there tends to be.

Offline Conure

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2019, 02:45:37 pm »
TE-Q1
Overcast dawn with thin fog
Even though it makes a lot of sense it always catches me off guard how uniformly warm the world out there tends to be.
Only under the mentionend conditions. ;) I was surprised how much effect fog had in spreading out the temperature. There was no clear line between forest and sky.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2019, 03:02:58 pm »
Only under the mentionend conditions. ;) I was surprised how much effect fog had in spreading out the temperature. There was no clear line between forest and sky.
It doesn't seem much different from a street on a hot summer night. Everything is almost the exact same temperature with the sky sometimes being the exception. I suspect the same street in the winter time looks much different.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2019, 06:35:33 pm »
I've always said black hot is as close as you'll get to visible light in black and white. The above comparison proves that pretty well. The bottom image is easily identified as the thermal but only because of the "blushing" on the door showing a temperature differential and the IR reflection on the latch hasp. The "cold" screw heads stick out also. I'm thinking they may be reflecting the sky.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 06:40:32 pm by eKretz »

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2019, 09:56:44 am »
My new toy (Ender 3 Pro).  :scared:

Offline bap2703

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2019, 02:11:01 pm »
Molen lava printing :D

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 07:36:23 pm »
Hehe, it's really hard to get focused image because bed is moving back and front all the time.  :o

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 08:17:10 pm »
For a second I thought I uploaded those 3d printing pics.... got an e40 a couple weeks ago and was testing it out looking at the same benchy print on mine!  But I've got a prusa, and I didn't upload any of the videos cause I was test printing with polycarbonate and was running into Y axis crash issues that were stopping the video every so often  :-DD

Maybe next time!  I haven't seen a great long-term temperature differential with many layers of print, but that first molten hot layer looks great coming out of the nozzle.

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2019, 03:25:43 pm »
Barbecue at cooking temperature, peaking around 800°C.

FLIR SC-660, standard lens. Off-camera JPG, plus radiometric TIFF extracted with Exiftool and adjusted to taste in Paint Shop Pro.

The scene was hot enough that the sensor suffered temporary burn-in, however the automatic NUC quickly sorted that out. I think this is the first time I've used the camera on its 2000°C range.

I did try pointing my Therm-App at the same target but it simply couldn't cope: it virtually whited out and there was no detail in the hot bits. No surprise there, as the Therm-App isn't rated for anything like that sort of temperature.

The first image below is the full radiometric JPG: I'd be interested to see what anyone else can do with it, for example changing the linearity and/or employing a pretty palette.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 07:31:29 am by Ultrapurple »

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2019, 11:53:15 am »
Yoda 3-D printing it is.

Seen at the UK National Physical Laboratory Open Day in May 2019. Still image from video.

Camera setup: Therm-App Pro, stock driver app, 640x480x25, post-processed to 1280x960 by Video Enhancer 2; frame extracted by VLC Media Player. Minimal post-capture processing.

Visible light (DSLR) photo for comparison.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 12:12:46 pm by Ultrapurple »

Offline frogg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2019, 05:09:38 pm »
Lime SDR Mini

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2019, 05:16:17 pm »
Camera?

Offline frogg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2019, 11:27:27 pm »
Sorry, ye olde FLIR T300

The following users thanked this post: Ultrapurple

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2019, 12:04:49 pm »
Writing (a lot of) data to a 512GB Kingston SD card with a cheap USB 3.0 card read/writer.

Therm-App Pro with ThermViewer for 1280x960 originals, stack of ~20 images in Registax 6, minor processing and crop in Paint Shop Pro X.

If you turn the image upside down you can just about read "Kingston" on the card in the dark (hot) section nearest the reader and "512GB [C10 symbol]" in the middle. And if you squint hard enough, there's a USB 'trident' logo in the light blue rectangle on the USB 3 (extension lead) socket.

The second image is an uncropped and unprocessed original, straight off the camera. Although stacking ~20 images like this reduced the noise, there wasn't actually much noise in the image to start with.

Edit: Added X-Ray of the card. Image quality isn't all I'd hoped it to be, but I'll see what I can do to get a clearer shot of it in due course. The main issue is that my X-Ray system is set up for objects much larger than a SD card - think more in terms of X-Raying a DSLR, with generous margins all around - and the optical system will need slight adjustment to focus in on a closer area. I know I'm at completely the wrong end of the spectrum here for the thermal imaging forum, but hey...

Edit II: Added somewhat higher resolution X-Ray made with microfocus source. I'm still working out how to use the machine (I don't have a sensor plate for it) but already the images are, I think, arguably better than the Scanmax can manage.

Edit III: Added another X-Ray of the same SD card made with a Faxitron 20 microfocus cabinet system. The difference in clarity is like night and day. I expect to get even better images in due course once I've found my way round the machine a bit, calibrated it and so forth, but that's not exactly a thermal imaging topic!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 11:21:38 am by Ultrapurple »

The following users thanked this post: martin1454

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2019, 03:24:00 pm »
While my project reached more dead ends. I am currently planning a temporary solution, more about it in October. Here a picture of the camera operating shot with my phone. Hot to the touch. Uncalibrated measurements of 42° peak.

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2019, 12:41:01 pm »
Linear power supply (Palstar PS-50) control board thermal and, from a different angle, visible.

Therm-App Pro, superresolution to 1280x960 in ThermViewer, some very crude focus stacking in Paint Shop Pro.

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2019, 08:31:51 am »
Effect of different palettes.

(click image for Flickr page or download full size 2617 x 1980 5MB PNG original here)

Here is the same thermal image taken with the camera set with four different palettes: clockwise from top left are Iron, Black Hot, Rainbow and White Hot.

It's often said that Black Hot (top right) is the closest you'll see in the thermal spectrum to a black and white visible light image. The car is very dark grey and the sky (reflected in the windscreen) was clear (=cold) so that certainly holds true here.

All of the original images were made with a Therm-App Pro 640x480x25Hz thermal camera with 19mm lens, ThermViewer driver software (which provides superresolution to 1280x960), then Paint Shop Pro just to blur out the registration plate (which showed up incredibly clearly) and composite the four images. They were saved as PNG from the camera and haven't been compressed.

You may just be able to make out my driving spectacles, which I left on the bonnet whilst I took these images. They let me see a sparrow at 1000 feet but are absolutely useless at anything approaching arm's length. My arms aren't long enough to hold the Therm-App far enough away!

Taken at a motorway services car park near the England-Scotland border on a fine, sunny late September day. (My passengers had wanted to stop for a comfort break and, apparently, there was a queue - so I had a few minutes spare).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 08:39:40 am by Ultrapurple »

Offline mahony

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2019, 07:09:55 pm »
Long time no update, but today I took out my pano-gear again for some testing (after some software mods).
Not a very interesting new scenery but we had a pretty sunny an warm day which made for some nice imagery.

Subject: Town
Camera: Thermal Expert TE-V1
Lens: Ophir 100mm f/1.6
Image processing: huge panorama via Microsofts ICE from 400 shots plus 8x stacking per frame - roughly 27MPixel in total

2048px pre-view - full resolution may be downloaded from flickr:
sunny_day_panorama by Toni Zettl, auf Flickr

Attached is a ~800x600 crop at 100%.

The following users thanked this post: frenky, bap2703

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2019, 08:41:02 pm »
Alright, let's keep this alive. While my cameras are far from field ready. I do need to keep myself motivated. Here is a self portrait I did during some testing for a monthly photography competition. It is shot on a MIRICLE 110K 25um pixel camera with a 32mm f/1 lens. I captured the composite out via a USB frame grabber and saved a few stills as .bmp then change that to .jpg and used Palette Generator and applied the FLIR iron palette ripped from a Lepton image. I will include the greyscale image as well so you can the what of a perceived different it makes.

the top right is the FCC flag partially stuck again - that requires a simple fix... or I switch lenses altogether.

Offline All Seeing Eye

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2019, 03:19:21 am »
Dog
HT-301
13mm
384X288

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2019, 10:25:01 am »
@Vipitis - nice to see you! That's a pretty decent image; I just wonder if the focus is slightly off or whether it's an artifact of the convoluted path you had to follow in order to get an image on the computer?

@All Seeing Eye - very nice! I'm amazed that the sci-fi world doesn't pick up on the 'hot eyes' look that we so often see: it looks so malevolent...

Offline RBsonic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2019, 06:06:35 am »
Subject: DC-DC XL4016
Camera: HT-301
Lens: 13mm

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

Offline RBsonic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2019, 06:09:43 am »