Author Topic: Thermal Imaging Gallery  (Read 115824 times)

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Thermal Imaging Gallery
« Reply #375 on: May 20, 2019, 02:28:02 pm »
atm 15 post present on page15 and +10 that are not present, so total 25 + 1 with this..(26)
and other pages seems to tumble at 25 post to a new page.
If this post doesn't make page16 then its not valid. 

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #376 on: May 20, 2019, 04:13:10 pm »
Looks like it's working right now. Not sure if that's consistent...

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
« Reply #377 on: May 20, 2019, 04:59:08 pm »
Liberation Square and St Helier Harbour, Jersey, seen from the 5th floor of the Pomme d'Or hotel.

Therm-App Pro, 35mm f/1.2, Thermviewer, Microsoft Image Composite Editor, Paint Shop Pro X. Made from about 130 individual 1280x960 images.

Click the image to see more details and gain access to the very high resolution original (9176x4362 pixels).

(Many thanks to everyone who put up 'ghost' posts to make the Gallery page work again).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 07:27:19 am by Ultrapurple »
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

The following users thanked this post: DaneLaw

Offline Conure

• Contributor
« Reply #378 on: May 20, 2019, 06:37:02 pm »
Liberation Square and St Helier Harbour, Jersey, seen from the 5th floor of the Pomme d'Or hotel.

Therm-App Pro, 35mm f/1.2, Thermviewer, Microsoft Image Composite Editor, Paint Shop Pro X. Made from about 130 individual 1280x960 images.

Click the image to see more details and gain access to the very high resolution original (9176x4362 pixels).

(Many thanks to everyone who put up 'ghost' posts to make the Gallery page work again).
Holy batsh*t cr*p how can you get such a perfect noise free image!!  :scared: Is that really the quality of therm-app pro? It's funny that the better quality an IR cameras has, the more similar it looks to an optical camera.

Edit:
Btw is it using black hot color palette and taken after sunset?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 06:41:43 pm by Conure »

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #379 on: May 20, 2019, 07:28:24 pm »

Holy batsh*t cr*p how can you get such a perfect noise free image!!  :scared: Is that really the quality of therm-app pro? It's funny that the better quality an IR cameras has, the more similar it looks to an optical camera.
Considering the original image sizes vs. combined image size vs. total number of shots, it looks like there is on the average order of magnitude 4x stacking available for each pixel. That is 2x noise reduction (statistically, not necessarily so for each and every pixel, random chances and stuff; and depends on how the individual shots happen to be aligned/overlap each other).
Then the image shown here (not the huge combined original image) compresses plenty of original pixels into each pixel seen in the smaller image here, reducing the noise much much more. Do check the full size original at 1:1 "zoom", there is plenty noise left still.
The flickr description also clarifies the "black hot image".
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 07:35:18 pm by bugi »

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #380 on: May 21, 2019, 05:48:40 am »
Black hot images are about the closest in appearance you'll get to a black and white image taken with a visible light camera.

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #381 on: May 21, 2019, 07:42:14 am »
Considering the original image sizes vs. combined image size vs. total number of shots, it looks like there is on the average order of magnitude 4x stacking available for each pixel. That is 2x noise reduction (statistically, not necessarily so for each and every pixel, random chances and stuff; and depends on how the individual shots happen to be aligned/overlap each other).
Then the image shown here (not the huge combined original image) compresses plenty of original pixels into each pixel seen in the smaller image here, reducing the noise much much more. Do check the full size original at 1:1 "zoom", there is plenty noise left still.
The flickr description also clarifies the "black hot image".

True to a certain extent, in an ideal world, however as far as I know Microsoft Image Composite Editor doesn't stack images for noise reduction (it's designed for visible light sensors where noise isn't such a problem) although it's possible there has been a bit of noise reduction as some kind of collateral gain from the stitching process.

You are of course right about the other points. Even a very noisy image can look usable when downsized by a factor of 10 or more.

For comparative purposes, I have attached a straight-off-the-camera shot of the square taken with a 13mm f/1 lens (which vignettes quite badly so ignore the corner and edge focus) and a straight-off-the-camera 35mm f/1.2 shot from the series that made up the composite image. Both made with a Therm-App Pro (640x480) and Thermviewer software; no other editing apart from using Paint Shop Pro to convert from PNG to JPG.

I'm pretty sure the focus was slightly off for the 35mm image  :-\ If I go back I'll have to make sure I tweak it better!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 07:48:06 am by Ultrapurple »

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #382 on: May 21, 2019, 08:02:08 am »
There is also an ultra-ultrawide shot from the same vantage point. The stitching isn't perfect but I haven't bothered to go back to do anything about it because I really wasn't terribly impressed with the image.

In order to make it fit the 1MB rule I've had to downsample it from the original ~18,000 x 5,750 (>100Mpix) to "just" ~6,000 x 1,900 (~10Mpix) and dial up the JPG compression.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:03:53 am by Ultrapurple »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #383 on: May 21, 2019, 01:32:57 pm »
This page also seems to do the cut-off thing again.

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #384 on: May 24, 2019, 07:51:29 pm »
Testing thread.    :box:  :popcorn:

Subject: New Water heater from Phillips to see how much detail there is up close of a black silkscreen-print on top of the water-heater-aluhousing.
Camera: Seek Pro FF [IOS on Ipad2018 in native seeks own in-house low-res recording feature]
Lens: Seek native' no third-party attachments"

Subject:An old UV face-light for UV-process applications
Camera: Seek Pro FF [IOS on Ipad2018 in native seeks own in-house low-res recording feature]
Lens: Seek native' no third party-attachments

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #385 on: April 08, 2021, 04:29:05 pm »
Did this thermal imaging thread die, or subsidized by another.??. took a brief glance at the first 3 pages on the frontpage and nothing stands out
- same with the search phrase Thermal Imaging gallery..
Usually quite helpful these imaging threads, to see the ideal results people can achieve with their thermal gear, both new and old.

In regards to the topic, and showing pictures, as I'm necrohumping this Thermal Gallery..
I'm still rolling with my old Seek Pro FF (18Hz) from 2017 though do look to take the step-up for the best 384x288 (25Hz or above) alternative here in 2Q 2021, though still unsure about the thermal gain, going from 76.8k (320x240) to 110.6k pix. (384x288).. VGA resolution still demands to much money, as far as I can tell.
Seek Pro Compact FF (fast Frame) with a DIY lens-array of ZnSe + Ge & Ai, shot on IpadOS.

Potatoes from hot owen

SH72

UR65

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:42:01 pm by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #386 on: April 08, 2021, 06:40:50 pm »
This is a thread on a public forum, dude.  Nobody owes you anything. Everyone's contribution is appreciated, including your's.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #387 on: April 08, 2021, 06:45:07 pm »

Those are some amazing shots with a Seek Pro @DaneLaw,  were they made by some kind of panorama technique? - and focus stacking?

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #388 on: April 08, 2021, 07:00:22 pm »
Did this thermal imaging thread die, or subsidized by another.??. took a brief glance at the first 3 pages on the frontpage and nothing stands out
Usually quite helpful these imaging threads, to see the ideal results people can achieve with their thermal gear, both new and old.

Irrc, this Thermal imaging gallery became 'broken' and nobody was able to post to it. This resulted in...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/thermal-imaging-gallery-ii/

Your post seems to indicate that thread has fixed itself again - I guess people just stopped trying and continued in the other one.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #389 on: April 09, 2021, 12:07:33 am »

Irrc, this Thermal imaging gallery became 'broken' and nobody was able to post to it. This resulted in...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/thermal-imaging-gallery-ii/

Your post seems to indicate that thread has fixed itself again - I guess people just stopped trying and continued in the other one.
Yep, I recall it now, even notice own testing above (Im getting old) ...can also see Dave tested it after likely a fix at #358 (previous page) ..After all some stunning footage shots in this thread, not least the stunning high res-stitching from UltraPurple, and also recall outstanding DIY Astro shots of the moon, thx for the link.

Those are some amazing shots with a Seek Pro @DaneLaw,  were they made by some kind of panorama technique? - and focus stacking?
Thx  :), No picture stacking or multiple stitching, though some of them are with multiple lenses..(some of the cheapest kind from Aliexpress and eBay) US-ZnSe, CN-ZnSe, GaAs & Ge.. ranging from 7US to a tad under 20US with numerous different focal lengths.
I have put some Velcro thread on the Seek Pro (pictured below) and for multiple lenses.. I use a foam-tube, I then can put on the seek-front and still be able to turn the focuswheel.(useally one of these two approaches I use for macroshots)

On some of them, I used,focus-sharpening with an aspect of Ai  :bullshit:, but its a balancing act, as you often need to mask certain things, so it aint get manhandled to hard, as certain details will otherwise be removed without masking
Here is a before and after example.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 12:40:00 am by DaneLaw »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #390 on: April 09, 2021, 11:56:56 am »
[...]
Thx  :), No picture stacking or multiple stitching, though some of them are with multiple lenses..(some of the cheapest kind from Aliexpress and eBay) US-ZnSe, CN-ZnSe, GaAs & Ge.. ranging from 7US to a tad under 20US with numerous different focal lengths.
[...]

I'm just amazed at how clear / noise free the images are compared to the Seek Compact XR which I have here.   -  Do the images really look this good straight out of the camera?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #391 on: April 09, 2021, 01:23:51 pm »
Interesting and nice results  :-+ I have a stash of 2-4" ZnSe lens from a Laser build that is stalled at present. 3D printer time for an adapter or two for some playing.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline camila

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #392 on: April 09, 2021, 01:30:37 pm »
Can I know where have you purchased the Camera and cost of it

Offline IwuzBornanerd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #393 on: April 09, 2021, 09:13:09 pm »
[...]
[...]

I'm just amazed at how clear / noise free the images are compared to the Seek Compact XR which I have here.   -  Do the images really look this good straight out of the camera?

Even a Seek can produce clean looking images with a wide temperature span and the typical super-smooth palette.

As an example, here is an image produced by the Seek app with the white hot palette autoranged:
1209598-0

Then the same palette applied to a narrower temperature range (this looks more "Seekish"):
1209600-1

And finally one with a distinct-color palette autoranged (extra noisy):
1209602-2

These were all produced from the temperature data in the same Seek tiff file.  In order to judge how noisy the camera is you need to see gray scale images with only about 3 degrees C span black-to-white (in my opinion).

I do like the effect of the focus-sharpening, though.  :-+

And I see the in-line image thing isn't working right here...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 09:16:26 pm by IwuzBornanerd »
I am not opposed to exercise, unless it is an exercise in futility.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #394 on: April 09, 2021, 09:59:50 pm »
[...]
[...]

Even a Seek can produce clean looking images with a wide temperature span and the typical super-smooth palette.

As an example, here is an image produced by the Seek app with the white hot palette autoranged:
(Attachment Link)

Then the same palette applied to a narrower temperature range (this looks more "Seekish"):
(Attachment Link)

And finally one with a distinct-color palette autoranged (extra noisy):
(Attachment Link)

These were all produced from the temperature data in the same Seek tiff file.  In order to judge how noisy the camera is you need to see gray scale images with only about 3 degrees C span black-to-white (in my opinion).

I do like the effect of the focus-sharpening, though.  :-+

And I see the in-line image thing isn't working right here...

Your pictures look more like what comes out of my camera.

Somehow, @DaneLaw's pictures are completely noise free, with very sharp details...  I suspect he owns a very high end camera and is just too modest to tell us what it is!   :D

For example this picture posted by him has a resolution of 800x600, which is quite a bit better than what the Seek Compact Pro is capable of (320 x 240)...   Come on @DaneLaw, tell us what you are doing!  :D

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:06:51 pm by SilverSolder »

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #395 on: April 10, 2021, 06:48:22 pm »
Can I know where have you purchased the Camera and cost of it
If it's mine.
Then I got it from eBay on an auction back in late 2017 or early 2018 (It doesn't look like your cant go past 2019 in old account-purchase on eBay so I can't link to the "listing" also to put below info into perspective)
It was a seller from the USA, that I notice had numerous for sale' with no minimum price, and keep putting a new one up every time one auction was done, so I finally took the plunge, and got it for a tad over 300USD (it was listed as new Seek Pro iOS) but nothing else, not even the info that, it in fact, was a Fast Frame version (18Hz (FPS) not the standard 9Hz)

After I had won the auction the seller then contacted me and asked that I paid him directly  :scared: usually a red flag, but often it is just a tactic to circumvent massive eBay fees that are in play...but in general I had not a huge problem with it, as it still would be Paypal and my auction winning price was quite a bit lower then what the other ones had been going for (2017/2018), so the seller had an obvious motive to fx cancel and then put it up again and get a significantly higher closing price, and not least as I also wanted the seller to do something for me, and label the parcel at sub 12 USD, as otherwise, the price would elevate with another +50% after danish tolltax, + handling fee, + another 25% danish VAT of the total sum.
and in the past, I also got way better protection by having to go through PayPal dispute than fx using eBay support and their awfull-buyer-protection. that I'm not a fan of, even though one's payment is done by Paypal inside eBay... same with the time' that is like 3 months inside eBay and 6 months with direct Paypal, so circumvent the eBay-chain for the purchase, was okay by me.

But in general, there were quite a few red flags, and concluded that there was a huge risk' that the seller was a scammer, and likely not in the USA' as I could not validate his very Russian or east European name and the housing details in the USA, that he provided, same with the email.
But after I had talked with Paypal Denmark and mentioning all the red flags' I concluded that I had no risk whatsoever to go through with the transfer to his PayPal address, and the funds would be locked for a certain time' and in the worst case, it would be wasted-time at my end.

The item did not arrive in the time it should (not even close) and the tracking details he provided were also very weird and could not be used at all (no info whatsoever) but a few days before the deadline for me to start a PP-dispute for the money. - The parcel with a Seek Pro iOS to my huge surprise actually arrived and with a US shipping-out address..so I just concluded that the lack of tracking simply was spared, hence cost.

I later took a closer look at some of the other things he sold with no minimum price, and I notice many expensive Bushnell rangefinders. (also completely new)..
I don't wanna label people or sellers with wrongful names, but I do recall I later wondered about that eBay sale account (now gone), - as we here in Denmark have quite big issues with credit card scams, where people from abroad, hack credit card info on people here in Denmark and they then use that credit card to purchase expensive gear, that they then sell online from online auction sites.. (but I am only speculating here, no proof what so ever, from my end, the item was perfect.)

Somehow, @DaneLaw's pictures are completely noise free, with very sharp details...  I suspect he owns a very high-end camera and is just too modest to tell us what it is!   :D

For example this picture posted by him has a resolution of 800x600, which is quite a bit better than what the Seek Compact Pro is capable of (320 x 240)...   Come on @DaneLaw, tell us what you are doing!  :D

No sadly  ;D  Im still only rolling a Seek Compact Pro FF (the only thermal camera I got) but I do finally have the funds saved so I can take the plunge for one of the better 384x288 25Hz dongles for Android, like the Hti-301 or the T3S or if there is other better alternatives??

but I am still missing an overview of which dongle is the prefered to get here in 2Q 2021 as they are both pretty much the same price, the two mentioned above.
My budget is around 500USD for a 384x288 or around 1000 USD for one with VGA resolution (480p) though thermal camera-dongles with VGA resolution at around a grand, is still not in the foreseeable future, though I am one envy puppy' when looking at some of the shots on Flickr    https://www.flickr.com/groups/therm-app-users/  (admin of that group is one of the users here on EEVblog)

The 800x600 is just an image upscale.

The setting' I use most on the Seek App, is the one with these two-circles on top of each other, as there I can lock the span with the circle button upright, and usually point at something a tad warner and hit that round button, and you even have the temperature-value running underneath for the hottest part present...
It's the "preset" I use at fx 0:55 minute into this video where I'm looking at two tiny 1.25mm (131) resistors.  (I reckon it's these)
https://www.digikey.ee/product-detail/en/susumu/RGH2012-2E-P-131-B/RGH20P130BTR-ND/1143035

My prefered palette in the Seek app is the Tyrian and then get a span-lock a tad higher' than the subject, and also what I used with the SH72 soldering iron above and this UR65 quad below..

at 0:55

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 06:54:23 pm by DaneLaw »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #396 on: April 10, 2021, 10:46:10 pm »

I'm amazed at the improvement in Compact Pro vs. Compact XR...  Maybe time for an upgrade here too! 

Offline IwuzBornanerd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #397 on: April 11, 2021, 01:30:48 am »

I'm amazed at the improvement in Compact Pro vs. Compact XR...  Maybe time for an upgrade here too!

I fear that once you have a pro in hand you will be disappointed.  Note that the scene in the video has a 20 degree C span & if you look at the 2 minute point (and others) where he has the Prism palette you will see the more typical Seek noise.  My first image above has a few degrees lower span. 

I also encourage you to review my sample images in this thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/the-seek-thermal-core-development-user-opinion-please/msg2915972/?PHPSESSID=mhvdkk76c9vkpg6338q952b7h2#msg2915972

While there may well be a variation from one unit to another, most of the Seek images I have seen posted have similar noise if you consider the temperature span.

@DaneLaw could you post a Seek TIFF file of one of your beautifully clean scenes?  If you don't already know, in order to save tiffs you have to have the "save all data" option enabled in the settings AND you have to set the view mode to the one with the square of 9 squares symbol.  The tiffs are then in the "pictures" folder instead of the "images" folder...IIRC.
I am not opposed to exercise, unless it is an exercise in futility.

Offline svgurus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #398 on: April 11, 2021, 02:19:48 am »
Save all data? Seek tiff? Is there even more secret menu to enable this?)))
I had seek compact-iphone, xr-microusb, pro-iphone, pro-typeC, proFF-iphone, seek shot pro, noise seemed equal on all of them, dont think that FF is a secret super pro grade for americans or itar-friendly contries))) Iphone models dont save tiffs in folders afaik and only save interpolated jpgs, resolution depending on iphones screen. Danelaw did some trick with "levels" to hide noises, and the scene was luckily rich it contrast, so photo with 17hz caption looks really good. 18hz photo has some large areas with low contrast and still low noise, maybe it was manipulated in post) and yes, the palette matters, black\white hot hide noise the best, rainbow\colourfulls the worst, ironbow inbetween. i found some good looking jpgs from non-ff iphone pro seek, but usually its noisy AF, see attachments))
Danelaw, 384 infiray models are step-up in regards of noise and chinese are ok with tricking customs, but you are really limited in lenses choice if you cant change the case to custom one with M25 or M24 thread(regular is M17). they stopped selling t3s with 6,8 mm lens on aliexpress so 13mm is only option( on the other hand, therm-app stopped selling all models except 384-MD so therm-app pro 640 becomes kinda unattainable dream($ Cheapest 640 alternatives are 640 flir scouts, infiray xeye6 and pulsar XP's, they cost far from 1000 used i guess. Recently got XP38 for 1800$, felt really lucky)) And even with dead pixels and thermviewer superresolution on t3s/hti-301, pulsar XP looks waay sharper. Flir is tad cheaper but has other disadvantages, xeye6 i didnt see used below 2400$(almost the shop price), either they are too good or too expensive for chinese loving hunters, so they prefered xeye3(384*288, it got a bit cheaper used, recently)

The following users thanked this post: DaneLaw

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #399 on: April 11, 2021, 02:45:19 am »
Save all data? Seek tiff? Is there even more secret menu to enable this?)))
I had seek compact-iphone, xr-microusb, pro-iphone, pro-typeC, proFF-iphone, seek shot pro, noise seemed equal on all of them, dont think that FF is a secret super pro grade for americans or itar-friendly contries))) Iphone models dont save tiffs in folders afaik and only save interpolated jpgs, resolution depending on iphones screen. Danelaw did some trick with "levels" to hide noises, and the scene was luckily rich it contrast, so photo with 17hz caption looks really good. 18hz photo has some large areas with low contrast and still low noise, maybe it was manipulated in post) and yes, the palette matters, black\white hot hide noise the best, rainbow\colourfulls the worst, ironbow inbetween. i found some good looking jpgs from non-ff iphone pro seek, but usually its noisy AF, see attachments))
Danelaw, 384 infiray models are step-up in regards of noise and chinese are ok with tricking customs, but you are really limited in lenses choice if you cant change the case to custom one with M25 or M24 thread(regular is M17). they stopped selling t3s with 6,8 mm lens on aliexpress so 13mm is only option( on the other hand, therm-app stopped selling all models except 384-MD so therm-app pro 640 becomes kinda unattainable dream($ Cheapest 640 alternatives are 640 flir scouts, infiray xeye6 and pulsar XP's, they cost far from 1000 used i guess. Recently got XP38 for 1800$, felt really lucky)) And even with dead pixels and thermviewer superresolution on t3s/hti-301, pulsar XP looks waay sharper. Flir is tad cheaper but has other disadvantages, xeye6 i didnt see used below 2400$(almost the shop price), either they are too good or too expensive for chinese loving hunters, so they prefered xeye3(384*288, it got a bit cheaper used, recently)

Awesome pictures.  The Pulsar one is good enough to be material for a poster, it is "just right" visually in so many ways!

I got the TIFF function working and did some stacks to reduce noise - it worked, but slow going.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf