Author Topic: Thermal Imaging Gallery  (Read 115821 times)

Offline elninjo888

• Contributor
Re: Thermal Imaging Gallery
« Reply #300 on: February 10, 2019, 08:56:03 pm »
Just my car and some houses.
Xtherm T3s
13mm lense

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline pauledd

• Regular Contributor
  • Riesige Gepanzerte Luftschiffe
« Reply #301 on: February 10, 2019, 09:55:51 pm »
Zeppelin and Balloon - Seek Compact Pro

human being - without Windows® - excuse my bad english

The following users thanked this post: DaneLaw

Offline mahony

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #302 on: February 16, 2019, 10:56:13 pm »
Finally a clear night again!
Around 2 weeks ago I figured the TE-V1 is perfectly suited to be mated to my small telescope. Why? Because the outer diameter of the original housing almost perfectly fits the telescope eye-piece mount.
So now we finally got some decent 650mm f/5.6 LWIR optics  :scared:

Subject: The moon at roughly 90% full
Camera: TE-V1
Lens: Skywatcher Heritage 650/130 (image 4&5) and TE 19mm f/1.0 (images 1-3)
Processing: stacking w/ Autostakkert using ~200 frames from short sequence plus Photoshop brightness/contrast/sharpening (last image) - none for the rest

Image 1: moon @19mm (plus some of the roof)
Image 2: telescope w/o eyepiece but moon visible on secondary mirror
Image 3: recording PC w/ 'operator' mirrored image
Image 4: single frame from recorded sequence (unprocessed)
Image 5: final result

The following users thanked this post: frenky, Bill W, DaneLaw, Mr. Scram, Ultrapurple, JOSM

Offline mahony

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #303 on: February 16, 2019, 11:06:16 pm »
Also got some indoor panorama test from a couple of day ago… roughly 7MPixel  ;D

Subject: Living room
Lens: Ophir 35mm f/1.4
Processing: Structured panorama from 84 images/positions (8 images averaged per position), custom palette + stitching with Microsoft ICE

Offline elninjo888

• Contributor
« Reply #304 on: February 16, 2019, 11:09:02 pm »
indeed very nice results  :-+

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
« Reply #305 on: February 17, 2019, 12:45:46 am »
@mahony Congratulations! Your moon images are a joy to behold.

You may be aware i tried some moon shots with a comparable setup some years ago: your results blow mine out of orbit. Perhaps I may revisit the moon as a subject one day when my spare time situation (and health) improve.
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #306 on: February 17, 2019, 12:49:35 am »
@pauledd very nice pair of subjects - a good catch. Where were they filmed?

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #307 on: February 17, 2019, 01:45:41 am »
Just wow and thank you.

I have been dreaming of getting a shot of the moon since 9th April 2017, the first time I captured me looking up with my thermal camera. I joined this forum just to talk of the thought of Thermal Astrophotography. I have spent hours if no days looking for information on the internet on research projects with daylight infrared satellite tracking, meteors; reap up on different scopes and instruments that operate in the LWIR spectrum. I found two papers that looked at the moon, but not taking a real photo of it. I spent countless hours in the cold outside taking timelapse of the moon rising and clouds passing by. I spent weeks talking to people about optics, telescopes and lenses. I became fairly active in this forum and check it multiple times a day and post on here deep I the night (it's 2.27am right now). I got to my passion for thermal camera art and spent days looking for projects and more days to contact artist and find out about names and websites. I made contacts to build my own little auxiliary lens to get closer to the moon. I calculated and modeled a mirror telescope that would give me the perfect framing. I am planning to chose a university course in EE and CS to work on thermal imaging(if any of you got ideas for internships worldwide to work with thermal cameras for 6-9 months before that - let me know btw!). It took me a year untill I saw the first proofs of my dream with Ultrapurple having made shots of the moon rubberbanding his ThermApp to a small newtonian telescope and rubber banding a few thermal lenses together with some tape and plastic bottles to build a refractor to spark my interest further. I saw the first real image of the moon with some detail in focus and knew it was possible.

Now you come in with an even better camera and lot's of effort to produce this stunning image. I thank you bringing that rush back and confirming my hopes. Giving me an example to show people it is possible. I will continue to work. Just earlier today I started to modify my own lens to fix the Vignettierung a little by recentering it. I also got the thought that a shortening the focus mechanism on both sides will give me better infinity focus, so that is under way. Tomorrow I am going to a photo meetup for large format analog photography shooting some architecture, I will bring thermal camera and lens because I can only shoot two plates.
Is there any place for a high quality version of the image?
Do you think more is possible? Did you see anything else at f/5.6 through the scope? Some stars maybe a right nebula like M42 in Orion? (It is supposed to be bright in IR, but I have found zero shots of it in LWIR, some from a orbiting space telescope and narrowband 12.3microns in the gallery I posted some time ago) maybe other planets like Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn? They will be tiny but maybe worth a try and they are rather bright.
Sun is risky and will burn your sensor, maybe a special filter to only pass LWIR and reduce the heat in some way can make that possible.

Keep it up!

This is a gallery so here are some shots of mine from today.

Camera: CAT S60 -> 80*60 Lepton
Lens: DIY build -> auxiliary 19mm, 2nd gen.
Software: ThermalCamera+ by George Friedrich

Subjects: the saddle of a Brompton bike, old lady walking past the fence, a strange shutter error I got for the first time with a nice pattern.
Bonus shot: friend with scarf as a study

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #308 on: February 17, 2019, 06:15:50 pm »
Okay, at said photo meetup we had interesting discussions and tried our best with some large format shots of architecture. While mine are probably blurry due to 3s exposure time and some shake and wind - I managed to shoot on Thermal as well. The results are great, we found a really good subject and the sun was just setting. I am feeling like I am getting better with this. I still need more planing and a tripod mount would help. Shooting a few images of the same tile could also be use for stacking before hand.

This is a 4x3 panorama cropped a little. No level adjustments here pure balckhot palette with delta span or 6-7°C IIRC - that is with using the unmeasured modified 2nd gen lens.
Camera still is CAT S60 running ThermalCamera+
stitching in ICE
Subject is a building called "Wolkenbügel" in Düsseldorf if you want to look it up!

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #309 on: February 17, 2019, 09:02:46 pm »
Is that a suspension bridge in the left side foreground?! Interesting looking building.

Offline pauledd

• Regular Contributor
  • Riesige Gepanzerte Luftschiffe
« Reply #310 on: February 19, 2019, 05:08:04 pm »
human being - without Windows® - excuse my bad english

Offline frenkyTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #311 on: February 23, 2019, 07:54:57 pm »
Sandwich toaster
T.E. Q1+
Upscaled with waifu2x

Offline Tfin

« Reply #312 on: February 26, 2019, 02:23:23 am »
New here, amazed at the quality that can be pulled out of the compact pro with ThermoVision.  Still working on tuning in the temperature.

Camera: Seek Compact Pro
Software: ThermoVision Joe (Awesome Job Joe!)

Offline mahony

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #313 on: February 26, 2019, 08:38:50 pm »
Hi Vipitis,
I did not except that much feedback on the images - altough I was impressed what is possible even from the 'small' aperture (LWIR-wise ;)). I did not try any other subject as I just did a quick test before sneaking to bed … The moon is some very bright source - I think I have seen around 80K difference to the background or more with calibrated lenses. I assume all other subjects apart from the sun may not produce usable contrast. But I will try if I find time again. If you got any inputs wants worth a try: I am open to suggestions.

Actually the same might even be possible with the Lepton core you got in your phone - I got two of them pulled from 'dead' FLIR One G2's. Removing the lens is possible and attaching it to some (maybe small) telescope should be very do-able. Probably a small 300mm one like this 70€ piece: https://www.amazon.de/Unbekannt-Skywatcher-Dobson-Teleskop-Heritage/dp/B0098QKLTW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1551210904&sr=8-10&keywords=teleskop+skywatcher (I got the big brother of it).

Small warning if experimenting on Leptons without the lens: be sure not to get any dust into it as there are bond-wires exposed. I somehow killed one line on the core i did a little more experimenting this might be related to this issue. The core still works fine but I have to fix this line in software  ::)

@Ultrapurple: I think you did some really good shot with your setup - the telescope was just a lucky finding and done very quickly (~1 hour all in). Wish you the best for your health AND spare time.  :-+
By the way: your mirror lens should give some really nice images too!

Back to topic - some pictures! As I am pretty short on time at the moment I have to dig out some 'older stuff'.

Subject: TE-V1 detector / FPA (corners of the FPA actually)
Lens: Ophir 14mm f/1.2
Processing: none, but focusing quite close AND pointing the camera to some cell phone screen (glass/mirror/anything highly reflective)

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #314 on: February 27, 2019, 09:42:08 am »
@mahony - those are very nice images of the inside of the sensor! Much better than my effort with a Therm-App. Have you more than one camera so you can use one to look at the other one scanning?

Thanks for your kind words. I'm pleased to say I'm more or less in good health again, though spare time is at a premium (as always). But just to show I haven't sold my cameras and gone off in a huff, below is an image from this morning of a Geiger counter that I recently acquired. (Why? Well, why not; also, someone I know is about to have some nuclear medical treatment so the first time I see him I'll dress myself in a hazmat suit and carry the Geiger counter prominently). Image made rather hurriedly with a Therm-App Pro (640x480), ThermViewer driver software and a bit of final tweaking in Paint Shop Pro. There was very little thermal contrast apart from that one transistor and resistor. Most of the bright bits are reflections in metal of the nearest hot thing. Me.

I have done a little playing around with the big lens (including taking it apart) but I have yet to achieve a clear, well focused image from it. That's probably because I understand its minimum focus distance is 20m, rather longer than any open part of my home, and I haven't really had a chance to try it in the great outdoors; although my neighbours are fairly tolerant they might wonder what on earth I was doing pointing a dustbin-size lens at their houses... Fortunately I have occasional access to a large, private outdoor area so when I next get the chance (and the weather is kind) I will continue my experiments. I've been told that it requires an additional lens at the back before it'll produce a clear image, so we'll see what I can find from my meagre collection of germanium oddities. One day, one day...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 02:00:42 pm by Ultrapurple »

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2019, 05:30:27 pm »
Ooh that trick to image the scanning is quite cool! Just hauled out a couple of cameras and sure enough I can see it too. I had it at a higher frequency (a few Hz); one camera was probably set to PAL and the other NTSC, which would give results in line with what I saw.
Agreed that mahony has some nice pics of a FPA - will need to have a go myself once I get around to making a proper mount for the close-up lens I got via the "is this lens any good" thread.

As for your massive lens, if you manage to find some specific info about the required supplementary lens (e.g. diameter, focal length) and don't have a suitable part in your collection, PM me and I can check mine.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:55:05 pm by Hydron »

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #316 on: March 02, 2019, 06:58:34 pm »
Ooh that trick to image the scanning is quite cool!

Err, I'm not sure that 'cool' is the operative term ... oh, I see what you mean! Thanks ;)

I am away from home at the moment and don't have access to the reference  but I think Fraser told me it was a plano-concave lens that's required. Thank you for your kind offer of help - once I have had a proper chance to play I may well take you up on it.

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #317 on: March 02, 2019, 08:45:53 pm »
While I am in between buying a real camera myself, and there are some crazy scope/lens listings on eBay as well... I am still playing with my current setup to get around the low resolution. The plan to modify the lens has slowed down again. An idea I am exploring right now is to compose multiple images into one. Not like a stitched panorama but more like a collage. The first one I would like to share is a 2x2 of portraits I shot with my camera and lens, I lowered the gamma setting a little to have a more appealing gain. I also edited this with some automatic filters and sliders on my phone after putting the collage together. I went for a look of an older iron palette, I can't remember exactly where I saw it - but it resonated with me... the low resolution and this kind of palette work, potentionally because I looked at many thermal images already. Notice that the individual images are also cropped into 1x1 aspect ratio - this hides the vignetting and makes the close up shots less apparent.

I will keep bringing my lens and camera with me and just get shooting. But deciding on a "real" camera can't be soon enough.

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2019, 09:39:39 pm »
Interesting work as always, Vipitis - some good ideas there. It's amazing how  'humanising' a pair of spectacles can be in a thermal image: perhaps because, generally, the eyes on human faces blend into the rest of the nose and forehead in a thermal image but spectacles, which we are also very used to seeing, give us back a shape we are familiar with.

I suspect there would be some interesting research to be had in the area.

On a completely unrelated note, I had a chance to play with my thermal camera today for the first time in a while. I will try to post more later if there's anything usable.

(Made with Therm-App Pro 640x480 25Hz, 35mm f/1.2 lens, ThermViewer driver software, converted to an animated GIF using an app on my phone).

Edit 2019-03-26: Flickr has finally made available my rather ropey colour thermal video of birds stuffing their beaks on a swinging feeder (see third photo below - a still from the short video.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 02:50:43 pm by Ultrapurple »

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #319 on: March 03, 2019, 09:42:41 am »
Amazing shots in this thread since last visit 4 months ago.. :popcorn:  but also a lot of "ohh damn I need one of those so bad" envy-moments  (been lazing it this winter with different wavelengths... that is usually my hobby-cyclus. - quadcopter in the summer & spring outdoors and laser equiptment and the fascination of massless particles in the winter and general electronic from a noob learning standpoint where YT often are ones learning source  :palm:

Subject: Cheap 1 USD Heating device from China
Thermal: Seek Pro Fast FRame.
attachement: 8 USD cheap ZnSe lens 5CM FL. (only YT video)
Device: Ipad 2018 recorded with Seek's own native recording feature and no filter or picture-enhancement all barebone.

Tried to check the crosshair cursor and how accurate it is, according to the edge of the heatsource.
Item is a 1USD eyelash-heater from China.
there is 1.2mm from tip to tip.

Not to shabby. not least at 1:17 seems spot on. (handheld)

-----

//
(The above is supposed to be an animated GIF but it doesn't seem to be working, at least not on my phone. I will try to fix it when I have access to a computer again).
If you host "gif" on imgur it seems to work..
at least it did for me previously in the thread.  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/thermal-imaging-gallery/msg1685327/#msg1685327
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 04:19:33 pm by DaneLaw »

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
« Reply #320 on: March 03, 2019, 11:07:49 pm »
@DaneLaw - thanks for the tip on  GIF  hosting. I managed another way, via Flickr, but it works out much the same.

Interestingly, the animated GIF of the sensor scanning is hosted here on EEVblog in another post. But, I suspect working with a phone is always going to be a bit more hit-and-miss than a desktop (or laptop) computer.

Your images are lovely, combining lasers with thermal imaging: definitely both fave subjects of mine.

I'd love to get a CO2 laser and see what its beam looks like to a LWIR camera. Not in terms of beam profiling (which I recognise is an important field) - rather,  just making the invisible beam visible.

(Evil, evil, evil thought: I wonder if a cat would chase the little red spot of burning carpet and whether it would learn to do so before or after losing a few whiskers and parts of its tail...? I can't stress strongly enough, PLEASE DON'T try anything like this for real!).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:54:44 am by Ultrapurple »

Offline guazan

• Contributor
« Reply #321 on: March 07, 2019, 08:14:07 pm »
someone who has a TE-M1 to put pictures and videos thanks.

Offline frenkyTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #322 on: March 11, 2019, 09:42:27 am »
Coffee
T.E. Q1+

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline guazan

• Contributor
« Reply #323 on: March 23, 2019, 06:50:06 pm »