Author Topic: Thermal video camera to monitor rack-mount computer server - possibly USB-based?  (Read 1387 times)

Offline victorhooiTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi,

I need to do some analysis of thermals for some rack-mount computer servers under load.

Essentially, I need to power on the server, and run some load tests - and ideally capture a video of the thermal either inside the chassis, or for the front/rear cooling vents during the test.

I've looked at something fairly cheap like the FLIR E4 - however, this only takes still images, not videos.

Is there anything that can either record video itself, or that can connect to a PC/Mac to record thermal video files?

(Not sure what a thermal video file would be like - but can you embed point temperature data somehow over time?)

Thanks,
Victor

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
there are higher end cameras that allow you to capture radiometric video. In a way shooting 30 images a second. Those radiometric video can later be analyzed in software. Such capabilities are limited and not found on entry level cameras. There are some efforts on modding then I to mid range FLIR models.

Ask yourself if you need 30 data points a second of if a timelapses with lower intervals works as well.

Lower end cameras can capture video but in a mpeg format that holds no data, just what is displayed.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
The cheap and cheerful method would be to use any thermal camera that can display the required number of measurement spots on a display, be it its own or a phone, and then set up a camcorder recording the displayed image. Before cheap Digital DVR’s and camcorders became available we used to monitor equipment fault indicators using CCTV cameras and video recorders ! It all, depends on the budget.

In some cases, it makes economic sense to rent, or borrow a high end thermal camera with all the capabilities needed for the intended tests.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
I'd say stills is exactly what you want - think of the thermal mass of the parts you're looking at and the speed at which they heat up - I'd expect 1s intervals or so would be fine time resolution for such a test.  That said, there are certainly options that do video - generally you'll find 9Hz on the cheaper end (no ITAR or other country equivalent export restrictions) and often they will offer composite video output (easily capturable with a USB capture device), some can do local storage, and then at higher price points you can find higher framerates.

• Contributor
Stills could also potentially work, I guess.

You're probably right in that stills every 30 seconds etc might even be fine - I'm assuming this computer isn't going to heat up *that* quickly...

So it'd be a still image, with colours for temperatures, and some kind of radiometric data in a separate file that can be read somehow?

Tripod mount, and USB connectivity to a computer then?

If the budget is around $1000-2000 - what are the good value options here?

Offline Cat

• Regular Contributor
If the budget is around $1000-2000 - what are the good value options here?
Maybe you can ask Theolean from this thread if he found a suitable imager:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/thermal-camera-below-1000-with-streaming
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a cat.

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
The more recent bolometer fire service cameras now coming onto the second hand market may be worth a look if only from ease of obtaining them cheaply.

These generally have a single spot temperature and temperature linked colour with analogue video out.  Some will have hot/cold tracking.
Some have inbuilt video recording, but usually of the image rather than full temperature data.
Some can be triggered to take an image through 'virtual buttons' on the customer software.

Even without temperature data, the colours in the recorded video can be mapped across to temperature.

Note that older cameras (eg Argus3 and similar vintage ISG etc) had a stand-alone spot temperature sensor, so the video is not linked to temperature it merely has an overlay of the readout.

I do not have any such available personally at present.

Bill

• Contributor
I had a look at https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/thermal-camera-below-1000-with-streaming/ - the Flir A20 and A40 are mentioned. The A40 is quite nice, but very pricey (Used is $3000 - $5000...youch).

Hi Bill - Do you have any search terms for looking for the bolometer fire service cameras you mentioned?

Any specific models that I could keep an eye out for?

Is eBay a good site to check for these, or are there others?

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
Seek + JoeC Software?
I connected my Seek XR with a MicroUSB female to USB-C male adapter  -> USB-C female to male extension cable -> USB-C female to USB-A male -> PC

With JoeC software streaming is possible.

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS

Hi Bill - Do you have any search terms for looking for the bolometer fire service cameras you mentioned?
Any specific models that I could keep an eye out for?
Is eBay a good site to check for these, or are there others?

eBay is the most likely source, as for models:
e2v Argus4 - analogue out limited to P7150 and P7130/A versions.  All can do rtsp streaming via the battery pins.
ISG K-1000, Elite, had analogue out.
I am less sure of the details of the MSA / Bullard models with analogue out, probably most as they had analogue video transmitter / recorder accessories.

Have not seen many e2v MiTIC / P / T on eBay yet, but those have internal video recording
Product list with original new prices:
https://www.tequipment.net/argus/discontinued-products1/#/argus/discontinued-products1/?pg=3

Most of the FLIR monocular handhelds also give analogue out (H series etc), again early models may be starting to appear on the secondhand market now.

Bill

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf