Author Topic: Uni-t UTi260B  (Read 15463 times)

Offline discrete

Uni-t UTi260B
« on: November 15, 2020, 12:37:19 am »
Hi Guys,

I need something for occasional home use (building insulation, electric/electronic devices, PCBs). This one ticks many boxes, but there are no reviews or mention of it anywhere:

https://www.uni-trend.com/html/product/NewProducts/UTi%20industrial%20Series/UTi260B.html

- 256x192 IR pixels with some visible light blending modes
- 25 Hz!
- USB C connectivity with PC side software
- Suspiciously cheap at around USD300

EDIT: The more I look at the options, the more this one looks like a no-brainer. What am I missing? Would a Seek or HTi phone module be a better option?

Thanks for any thoughts on this!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 12:35:09 pm by discrete »

Offline Fux

Re: Uni-t UTi260B
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 11:17:31 am »
Hi,

sounds really good according to the technical data.
I would have the same usecases.
There is discount code for Banggood available: BGherra. So you can get it for USD 280.
Sounds like a good Christmas present (for myself :-)

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 12:34:17 pm »
Just ensure that the 256x192 pixels are physical pixels and not the result of interpolation.

I have seen a description of the camera that states “80x60 to 256x192” for the IR resolution. That read as interpolation or an electronic zoom function. Such is an unusual way to describe the resolution unless it meant there were several different models with differing resolution.

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 04:29:25 pm by Fraser »
Cogito, ergo sum

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 01:24:19 pm »
UTi-260B would appear to have been replaced by the UTi-260K so the discontinued model may be available at a good price, as noted by the OP.

https://www.uni-trend.com/html/product/NewProducts/UTi165/

https://www.uni-trend.com/html/product/NewProducts/UTi165/UTi260K.html

I have not found any useful information to suggest interpolation is used on the cameras microbolometer but upscaling will be needed to fit the 320 x 240 pixel LCD display.

With thermal imaging cameras, you tend to get what you pay for unless heavily discounted for some reason. If a camera looks too cheap compared to similar offerings from other manufacturers, there is often a dirty little secret waiting to be exposed  ;D Interpolation of a low resolution FPA is one such ‘trick’ to catch the unwary buyer. The word “resolution” actually means nothing unless defined as physical or processed.

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:27:00 pm by Fraser »
Cogito, ergo sum

Offline Unix5566

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 01:30:09 pm »
i tend to buy this model too, atm i use the Seek Thermal Compact with the Hti Xintai Apps for more Options

so does the Uti260B hast the 256x192 Sensor Resolution?

On Banggood i fount this chart

[attach=1]

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:32:35 pm by Unix5566 »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 01:33:42 pm »
For info, the UTi-260K sells for around $700 which is more like what I would expect for the stated resolution.

Fraser
Cogito, ergo sum

Offline Unix5566

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 01:37:48 pm »
but if you consider that thermal imagers that released this year got much better in price and resolution... if you search on Ali for the Hikvision H10 you get 160x120 @25Hz for 240€
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:40:06 pm by Unix5566 »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 01:41:30 pm »
Unix5566,

It is not easy to find out except to ask UNI-T what the physical resolution of the microbolometer is. Manufacturers sometime obscure that information deliberately.

The UNI-T camera range appears similar to others that offer different resolutions at different price points. They normally use a single microbolometer across the whole range but either artificially reduce the resolution in the lower cost cameras or use the opposite technique and create higher resolution models using interpolation.

At first glance the UNI-T UTi-260b does appear to be an ‘honest’ resolution of 256x192 pixels and I can find no evidence of interpolation being used to deceive the buyer. My earlier comment regarding the “80x60 to 256x192” resolution may be explained as a description of the complete range of cameras in this series. They offer 80x60 up to 256x192 pixels resolution, depending upon the model purchased.

This seems a very good price for a 256x192 pixel self contained thermal camera. It might be wise to buy from a source that accepts returns though as some thermal cameras disappoint once received.

Fraser
Cogito, ergo sum

Offline Unix5566

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 01:43:52 pm »
in the BG Q&A's i found this

Version K is aimed towards measuing fever in people (Limited range around 30ºC but increased accuracy ±0.5ºC).
Version B is for industrial use, the accuracy is lower but allows for a vast measurement range

so the older K Version had a better sensitivity... sadly China is right now the only place to get this device

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 01:46:14 pm »
Cogito, ergo sum

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 01:54:05 pm »
Unix5566,

China is currently in the midst of a frantic challenge to produce accurate “fever screening” thermal cameras. It was an edict from the Chinese Government that thermal camera manufacturers focus on fever screening technology. The problem is that most/all thermal cameras are not accurate enough for the task when configured for general use. The error is commonly stated as +-2C or 2%, whichever is greater. The Chinese Government requires an accuracy of 0.3% for fever screening cameras. The best way to achieve such accuracy is to reduce the range over which the thermal camera provides measurements and very carefully calibrate the camera. That combined with lock-in thermography using a temperature reference in the FOV meets the desired accuracy specifications.

A fever screening camera may not be that useful for general use if it does not have wider measurement capability as well. Some cameras have general and medical modes to meet the needs of a more varied customer base.

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:58:50 pm by Fraser »
Cogito, ergo sum

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 01:57:05 pm »
Try finding the H10 on Hikvision’s web site  ;)

It looks to be an obsolete model so some may be available at a discount.

Fraser
Cogito, ergo sum

Offline discrete

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 02:10:57 pm »
Thanks Fraser, Fux!

Good to know about the resolution trickery. I guess these could also be b-grade sensors, with high dead-pixels count or similar?

On the Uni-t site, the 260B is also under 'new products', but in the 'industrial series' category.
The 260K seems to be targeted to fever scanning as Unix5566 mentioned, so I am hoping the price premium is mostly due to the increased sensitivity and the current demand.

I pulled the trigger on that Banggood deal. I do not have anything to compare it with, but hopefully I can give some feedback in a month or two.  :D

Offline Unix5566

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 02:15:20 pm »
what to loose  :-// i mean even if it may disappoints it will be easy to resell it on eBay or else

i think i will give it a try too

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 02:21:38 pm »
Discrete,

It does look like a good deal  :-+

I hope it performs well for you.

Regarding the quality of microbolometers used...... whilst it is true that science grade microbolometers are of the highest quality with the minimum of dead pixels, most general use microbolometers are still of very good quality with 99.6% or 99.8% pixels within specification. Many microbolometers are far better than that specification. I am not sure that microbolometer makers actually release FPA’s with high dead pixel counts. The acceptance testing criteria for a thermal imaging FPA is pretty specific and tight. This is good news for buyers of the technology.

Now that China is producing its own microbolometers, we may see a change in the production acceptance criteria for cheaper cameras, but that is not something I know about.

Enjoy your camera  :-+

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 02:37:43 pm by Fraser »
Cogito, ergo sum

The following users thanked this post: discrete

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 02:36:08 pm »
Unix5566

:-+
Cogito, ergo sum

Offline bap2703

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2020, 07:50:34 am »
Fraser: can you even know how many dead pixels are in a sensor?
I mean, after all the corrections it's pretty hard to notice them.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 03:33:47 pm »
bap2703,

It is difficult for a user to establish how many non functioning pixels are present on a thermal sensor FPA for the reason that you detail. All FPA’s will contain pixels that are either faulty or produce an output that falls outside of the acceptable specification. The image data from the ROIC is normally RAW and subsequent image processing stages create the Non Uniformity Correction and Flat Field Correction tables that both capture ‘out of specification’ pixels and try to correct other pixel outputs to achieve a good Flat Field output. The dead pixel map is created by the NUC ‘calibration’ process carried out at the factory. Any pixel that produces an unacceptable pixel output value is marked as ‘Dead’.

Once the Dead Pixel map has been produced the image processing stages of the camera do their best to disguise those pixels from the users view. This is relatively easy in most cases as the values of surrounding pixels may be used to create an average value to replace that of the dead pixel position in the array. Life becomes a little more challenging when a cluster of dead pixels or a dead column is detected. A cluster can cause a dead spot in the image displayed that cannot be concealed by the image processing and a dead column can be a challenge to hide from the human brain that sees pixel correlation and recreates the defective line in some cases. For these reasons a thermal FPA sensor specification normally states that the FPA shall not contain more than a certain number of pixels in a cluster and adjacent to each other. Dead Columns may also be a reason to reject an FPA.

Whilst dead pixel concealment is very effective, in applications where EVERY pixel output is being analysed, such as in some science applications, it is important for the user to know which pixels are not truly active and their data should be discounted from the results. This is limited to science applications though and not really an issue with general camera use.

If a camera is received and it is displaying dead pixels on its display..... it has suffered pixel failures since original calibration and should be sent for a new NUC and dead pixel map creation. Dead pixels are not truly a “Fault” in terms of a camera containing them..... they are a fact of life that the image processing system is designed to cope with.

So how can you find out how many dead pixels your cameras FPA actually contains ?

It is not that easy to discover the dead pixel count without entering the cameras engineering modes or accessing the dead pixel map. A dead pixel map often exists as an image file containing all the pixels present on the FPA but highlighting those that are market based. The image processing stages read the dead pixel locations out of the image file. Gaining access to the dead pixel map is not a simple task on many cameras unless access can be gained to the operating system and configuration files.

It may be possible to detect pixels that are bing disguised by image processing by sweeping a thin IR source wire across the FOV and analysing the image output for deformations in the imaged line. Not something I have ever done and a purely theoretical process. There is normally no need to analyse the dead pixel content of an FPA unless an issue arises in the cameras correction process or damage is suspected, such as laser induced pixel distortion etc.

Most manufacturers of microbolometers clearly state the percentage of functional pixels expected to exist on a production FPA. This is generally 99.6% or 99.8% as I have already stated. Many microbolometers provide far more functional pixels as tests on the E4 and it’s dead pixel map image showed. The service mode on many cameras tells you how many pixels are marked as bad. The service modes can sometimes provide the option to carry out a fresh NUC process and create a new dead pixel map to correct pixels that have drifted badly or failed in use. Thankfully most FPA’s work their whole life with the original NUC table and dead pixel map created at the time of production.

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 09:50:44 pm by Fraser »
Cogito, ergo sum

Offline Bill W

• Frequent Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 04:26:50 pm »

If a camera is received and it is displaying dead pixels on its display.....

You are likely to get displays with dead pixels too, commonly fixed on ones at that.  Those of course cannot be fixed, or maybe some black paint......   :-DD

It may be possible to detect pixels that are being disguised by image processing by sweeping a thi IR source wire across the FOV and analysing the image output for deformations in the imaged line. Not something I have ever done and a purely theoretical process.

This does indeed work, with any good edge.  How easily does depend on the replacement system being used.  A Raytheon BST does a simple 'copy next' so produces horizontal lines, some tend to copy down/right, some will do an average of the good neighbours.

What might be surprising was that a 320x240 (76k pixels) gives a perfectly acceptable image with over 1000 dead as long as they are scattered.
These were caused by assembly misadventure, not from the supplier like it.  One where the cross check between supplier test data ( say 10 dead) and final camera test (8 bit overflow error) came in useful.

Bill

The following users thanked this post: Fraser

Offline ir.ukrm

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 08:26:48 am »
How many dead pixels are there in E4?

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 01:55:36 pm »
I've pulled the trigger on this one and it arrived today (shipping was very fast).
A 16GB microSD card and an USB cable was included in the package as well beyond a brief but reasonable manual.
I don't have much experience with this kind of cameras, so far I've used only a Mestek IR01C to check PCBs or building insulation mistakes. This naturally will make it a lot easier.
Thus my expected use of the camera is pretty much the same as of the OP's.

It probably won't see much scientific usage so should there be any pixel errors it's not my concern (the display has none, and sensor pixel fault is hard to detect as probably similar interpolating algorithms are used as with photography cameras so I don't know if it has one).

The boot time is around 20s (mostly there is a progress bar) and the switching between the low and high gain takes also around 20-25s (there is no progress bar here). High gain is -15-150C, low gain 150-550C.
I suspect that the refresh rate is not reaching the spec (or because it's < it's not even close to it) and there is also some lag if I move the camera but for my use it's OK.
Sometimes there is some clicking noise that can be heard in silent environment.
It drains battery quite fast (or I've played a lot with it without noticing) but it seems to be charging when it's used while connected to USB as well (or at least battery indicator is stepping).

I can't say much about accuracy as I don't have anything similar to compare but it agrees with my other measurement methods (temperature probe of DMM included as well).

In overall I feel it will cover my use cases and I like it.
I have no doubt though that for more money there are better cameras but at this price point I have probably nothing to complain about.

Attached 2 photos (both high gain mode; I had to convert them to JPG as BMP does not seem to work). One from my laptop and second one is the towel dryer in our bathroom.
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 02:24:41 pm by edigi »

The following users thanked this post: Driver, DaneLaw, ZD

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2020, 02:00:03 pm »
That is very respectable imaging at that price point  :-+

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 02:02:33 pm by Fraser »
Cogito, ergo sum

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2020, 02:22:26 pm »
This camera looks to use the iRay Tiny1 imaging engine.....

http://www.infiray.com/tiny1.html

iRay are a big player in thermal imagining equipment manufacture in China  :-+

Fraser
Cogito, ergo sum

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2020, 02:24:34 pm »
Looking around at other thermal cameras that use the iRay Tiny1 imaging engine, you have got a camera at a very good price  :-+

Fraser
Cogito, ergo sum

The following users thanked this post: technogreek, jiang_thermal imaging

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2020, 04:29:32 pm »
Probably you're right, spec-wise it's a good match.

I've checked the link and it occurred to me very soon what's the clicking noise: Aperture (or is diaphragm the correct word?) change.
I don't know if it's common with all such cameras but the purpose is the very same as with photo cameras: The amount of light can be controlled so good sensitivity can be kept without over driving the sensor in case of strong light (heat) source.
I just did not expect it to be used also here.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 05:58:26 pm »
It is the mechanically operated Flat Field Correction (FFC) flag being activated to correct for pixel drift in the sensor array. Most microbolometer based cameras have them but some manage to avoid using an FFC flag by using compensation tables and maths. Some high temperature cameras do have a calibrated diaphragm that is brought into the optical path to assist the microbolometer in coping with the high levels of energy present in high temperature situations. Not a common item on budget cameras however.

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 06:04:00 pm by Fraser »
Cogito, ergo sum

The following users thanked this post: edigi, rernexy

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2020, 06:48:42 pm »
Thank you, I think I've learned something also in this area today.

Is guess FFC is somewhat comparable to dark noise (current) extraction of astro cameras but it tries to do a pixel sensitivity calibration at the same time, doesn't it?
I've made a quick check of the acronym but to me it's not obvious how the uniformity of pixel sensitivity is achieved.
Is some reference object placed very briefly in front or the sensor? is that then the clicking noise?

UPDATE: I've checked the clicking noise once more: It's roughly periodic with a 5-6s period (maybe it also depends on a lot of factors like ambient temperature etc.) and after the click the LCD update freezes for roughly 0.5s. This frequent correction is crazy but I couldn't find a way in the manual to make it less frequent.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 03:51:24 pm by edigi »

Offline chofroa

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2020, 11:11:03 am »
Hello,

. is there, in the caracteristics of this camera, any one(s) that would make it inappropriate or less appropriate for a home inspection ?
https://www.uni-trend.com/html/product/NewProducts/UTi%20industrial%20Series/UTi260B.html
Specifications
Model        UTi260B
Certifications    CE/RoHS
Temperature range      -15~550℃
IR resolution        256x192 pixel
Field of view (FOV)    56°x 42°
Thermal sensitivity (NETD)    50mk
Spatial resolution (IFOV)    3.8mrad
Frame rate        25Hz
Measurement accuracy    ±2℃ or ±2% whichever is greater
Palettes        7
Emissivity    Adjustable (0.01-1)
Focus        Focus free
Display modes     Thermal, blending, visible, PIP
Display       2.8”LCD
ROI (eliminates interference)    √

. what could be the distance min and max from the target to measure ?

thanks !

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2020, 11:40:58 am »
From the provided specification, the UTI-260B will be OK for personal home inspection purposes. It is not up to the standard expected for commercial home energy audits and building inspections though.

The unit has a relatively wide 56 degree horizontal field of view which suits both interior and close range exterior building inspection. Minimum focus distance from the fixed focus lens will be around 1 metre and it will provide reasonable focus all the way to infinity. Practical measurement distance is likely to be limited by the resolution as the pixel size ‘on-target’ gets larger the further away you get. The IFOV is 3.8mrad so you can use that to see how large a measurement pixel is on the target at a particular distance.

This camera appears to be a reasonable ‘general use’ budget product that will meet the less demanding users needs. I would place it in a similar category to the Seek Thermal Dongles and Reveal series in terms of market segment. In terms of price, it looks to be value for money but you do get what you pay fir so expectations needs to be managed.

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:11:35 pm by Fraser »
Cogito, ergo sum

The following users thanked this post: technogreek

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2020, 12:06:25 pm »
edigi

The FFC event is used by the core to recalibrate its temperature measurement system and to maintain a relatively flat field output from the pixels. It is some times called “touch-up” as the FFC trims the pixel gains to maintain a nice even output for a given input across the whole sensor array. Without the FFC event or a replacement mathematical correction, the image can degrade due to pixel drift and measurement accuracy is also degraded.
The FFC flag acts as a thermally flat scene in front of the microbolometer against which the image processing and measurement systems calibrate. The period between FFC events is dependant upon several factors including the manufacturers preference for the intended use. An FFC event is normally periodic, as set in the cameras configuration but may be instigated at will be the user or when the cameras ambient temperature changes significantly.

When a microbolometer based thermal camera is first switched on, the microbolometer die begins to warm up to normal operating temperature and stabilises at a point of equilibrium that is often in the range 30C to 34C. During the warming up period that can last up to 2 minutes, the FFC events occur more regularly as the camera self calibrates to compensate for the temperature rise in the microbolometer. Once the camera has warmed up to operating temperature the frequency of FFC events drops back to the period set by the manufacturer for ‘maintain accuracy and flat field’ purposes. The period is chosen based upon the manufacturers experience of the microbolometers behaviour during environmental testing at the design stage. As stated, a common FFC event interval is 2 minutes but some cameras permit this interval to be changed or even switched off altogether for video recordings etc.

In the case of the Seek Thermal thermal imaging cores, we saw a very regular FFC event but the duration is very short. SEEK Thermal are regularly applying the FFC event to maintain their microbolometers flat field and accuracy. It could be that the microbolometer is somewhat thermally unstable or it may be a way to maintain image quality on the 12um pixel based tiny microbolometer. It would seem that the Imaging core in the UTi-260B behaves in a similar way. It is unlikely that the FFC event period can be changed on this budget camera. This may just be something that must be tolerated as part of owning an inexpensive thermal camera. There is no such thing as a free lunch in life ;)

Fraser

« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:20:16 pm by Fraser »
Cogito, ergo sum

The following users thanked this post: rernexy

Offline chofroa

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2020, 01:48:46 pm »
thank you very much Fraser,

It is not up to the standard expected for commercial home energy audits and building inspections though.

may I ask you what caracteristics/numbers you would mainly look for ?

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2020, 01:56:38 pm »
This article should answer your questions.

https://irinfo.org/04-01-2014-warner/

Fraser
Cogito, ergo sum

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
Cogito, ergo sum

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2020, 02:07:45 pm »
Cogito, ergo sum

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
Cogito, ergo sum

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2020, 02:12:22 pm »
Cogito, ergo sum

Offline chofroa

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2020, 02:35:15 pm »
thanks, I go reading :)

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2020, 03:04:24 pm »
I've made a quick series of my GPSDO (serial socket as main subject) from approx. 15, 10 and 5cm distance to show how close distance photos look like.

Even 10 minutes after switch on clicking is as frequent as 10 sec.
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:07:05 pm by edigi »

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline discrete

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2020, 10:18:13 pm »
Got my unit in yesterday.

+ It works about as well as expected and nothing to complain about the basic design or user interface.
+ The resolution is high enough to not need the visible light camera image mixing. This is fortunate, because the visible light image has some lag and does a snail trail when panning.
+ The PC app is basic but responsive. You can have a live mirror of the imager's screen, or play around on the recorded images to get point readings.
- Initially I had one or two startup- hiccups and it even reverted to Chinese once. These problems went away once I fully charged the battery. But it hints to flaky power management or a bad/missing cap somewhere.
- It seems to be held together with screws, but the screws are hidden below glued rubber inserts. So will be tricky to swap out the battery when eventually needed.
- Unfortunately my unit developed a kind of 'hot spot' after the first few uses. It was fine in the morning and when I used it again in the afternoon I had this:

[attach=1]

Of course it is somewhat exaggerated in that 'flat' image that spans only 2 C, but when you know it is there you can see it on most images.

Here is a span of 10 C:

[attach=2]

And with a different palette:

[attach=3]

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 10:24:16 pm by discrete »

The following users thanked this post: rernexy

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2020, 12:06:06 am »
that is not a hot pixel or line. It seems like some debris on either lens or sensor. Or a wrong correction, because it is actually warmer.

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2020, 07:33:16 pm »
I would like to get this thermal camera but my only use (almost) is looking at circuit boards and inside instruments looking for hot components

so can somebody confirm if this camera is suitable with acceptable resolution (I mean differentiating between closely spaced components)?

can someone post some thermal pictures of a circuit board at various distances, please?

thanks

Offline discrete

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2020, 02:51:32 am »
This is at 10-12 cm from the top board. Focus is not great, but it does a reasonable job.
Three of the 7 available palettes, visible images also included for comparison.

There is an option to mix the visible and IR image in steps of 25% opacity, but image offset makes it kind of useless at short range.

The following users thanked this post: analogRF

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2020, 07:11:51 am »
RPi4. Those components next to the USB-C plug are 3-5mm ones.
All pictures are probably taken closer than the min distance spec of the camera (0.25m).

So while it can be used to check PCBs to a certain extent it's far from ideal.
If you need to check small SMD components (like 0805 or even 0612) and you use the camera almost exclusively for this look for a camera that has adjustable focus. Fixed focus cameras like this result in blurred images if you move it too close to the PCB (that is required as it does not have very good spatial resolution).

I don't know if special macro lens could improve this. I'd be also definitely interested to try one if someone could recommend such reasonable priced variant that works also with this fixed focus camera (I can 3D print, so mounting would not be an issue).

Note: I always have to convert the camera images to jpg as the forum engine does not seem to like bmp.

The following users thanked this post: analogRF

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2020, 09:15:27 am »
This is at 10-12 cm from the top board. Focus is not great, but it does a reasonable job.
Based on tech specs "Focus: Focus free" it has fixed focus lens.
Perhaps lens are mounted on plastic screw so you could screw them out more to get closer focus.

There is always an option of mounting cheap ZnSe lens with focal length between 50mm and 100mm in front of existing lens to get sharp focus at close range.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=znse+lens&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=znse+100mm
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 09:19:28 am by frenky »

The following users thanked this post: edigi

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2020, 01:34:19 pm »
RPi4. Those components next to the USB-C plug are 3-5mm ones.
All pictures are probably taken closer than the min distance spec of the camera (0.25m).

So while it can be used to check PCBs to a certain extent it's far from ideal.
If you need to check small SMD components (like 0805 or even 0612) and you use the camera almost exclusively for this look for a camera that has adjustable focus. Fixed focus cameras like this result in blurred images if you move it too close to the PCB (that is required as it does not have very good spatial resolution).

I don't know if special macro lens could improve this. I'd be also definitely interested to try one if someone could recommend such reasonable priced variant that works also with this fixed focus camera (I can 3D print, so mounting would not be an issue).

Note: I always have to convert the camera images to jpg as the forum engine does not seem to like bmp.

still  it's not that bad. how does it look like if you do look at the board at 25cm?
variable focus thermal cameras are way beyond anything I can pay :-(
even this one is not so cheap unless you have more than one application for it so i'm still undecided  :-//

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2020, 03:03:11 pm »
how does it look like if you do look at the board at 25cm?

The spatial resolution (IFOV) of this camera is 3.8mrad as per data sheet. That means that around 25cm each pixel corresponds to roughly 1mm (unless I've miscalculated it), so although the picture will be slightly less blurry (the transition is continuous) you won't get more detail (actually less; and also as hotspots are smeared a bit, so lower temperate will be measured as in reality or when you move the camera closer).
If you check my earlier photo of the keyboard of my laptop that's was made from around 25cm distance.

I plan to make a try with the ZnSe lens proposed above (unfortunately any shipping takes ages and is totally unreliable nowadays so it won't happen anytime soon).

The following users thanked this post: analogRF, technogreek

Offline picazzo

Re: Uni-t UTi260B problem
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2020, 04:24:31 pm »
Hello, I bought a uni-t uti260b thermal camera, but for some time the video and photos still show two points in the same place (marked) that falsify the measurements are quite large, about 5 mm in diameter. What can it be, thank you.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2020, 07:22:54 pm »
Those appear to be caused by contamination of the microbolometer window with specs of dirt.

This could be caused by poor build area hygiene or rubbish inside the cores casing that moved onto the microbolometer in transit. Accessing the microbolometer to inspect it may not be a simple task depending upon how the OEM constructed it and whether any screws are hidden under labels etc.

If you can access the microbolometer you will likely need to remove the lens by unscrewing it and look at the microbolometer window under magnification. Cleaning the window must be done with great care and in some cores, such as the Seek Thermal types, the FFC flag sits across the microbolometer window when the camera is off.

If you can send the camera back for an exchange, I recommend that you take that path.

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:30:16 pm by Fraser »
Cogito, ergo sum

The following users thanked this post: picazzo

Offline picazzo

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2020, 07:46:07 pm »
Thank you for the answer, unfortunately it will be difficult, although the price was a bargain, I noticed it only after some time. Generally, the housing is dust-proof and impact-resistant, but there is dust in it, can it be lightly blown with compressed air from a sufficient distance?

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2020, 08:14:08 pm »
You could try unscrewing the lens assembly with a suitable tool. The lens is normally a threaded mount and may be locked in position with some epoxy. This is why it is best to dismantle the camera to inspect the core construction before trying to remove the lens. If the lens can be removed it may be possible to clean the microbolometer window with an air duster or even direct cleaning using an appropriate technique and tools. Great care is needed though. Also make sure the focus setting of the camera is noted and correctly set once the lens is refitted.

Fraser
Cogito, ergo sum

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2021, 12:24:14 pm »
I've promised an update with the ZnSe lens when I receive it and I've received it (D is 20mm and FL 63.5mm).
I've quickly designed a holder for the lens that can be pushed on the front of the camera and 3D printed it.

There is no question about that I can get more details with it now and such lens easily worth the extra US $10 investment (printing was virtually free). It's also clear that it cannot compete with the variable focus cameras but it's good enough for me (maybe it could be still enhanced, I don't know...). The attached pictures show my earlier subjects so the improvement can be compared.
Note: The lens attached the camera it can be used only for close distance as things further away get blurry with it, so you have to decide which distance to use.
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3][attachimg=4][attachurl=5]

I try to attach the STL file as well so if you wish you can try (print) it as well.
Notes for the printing: I've used black PLA as it was pulled to the extruder already but probably there are other materials better suited for this (I also have red filament that would probably look better on the cam). As I don't have soluble support capable printer I had to simplify my initial (fancier) design so that it can be printed without any support printing switched on (I've tried with support but it was very hard to remove the support). Instead however a generous amount of brim has to be used for good adhesion.

update: lens must be glued to the holder.
[attachurl=5]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 01:14:21 pm by edigi »

The following users thanked this post: analogRF, doppelgrau, Tugo

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2021, 12:50:25 pm »
Note that the ZnSe lenses come in Planar-Convex and Bi-Convex. With Planar Convex you may get a better image quality but you would need to experiment with which surface (Flat or Convex) faces the item under observation. With my commercial Meniscus close-up lenses the concave side faces the object under observation but users of Planar Convex ZnSe lenses report that they get best results with the convex side facing the target.

The ZnSe supplemental lens is just like placing reading spectacles on your camera. It provides close focus but you lose distance imaging and there is a definite small depth of field over which good focus is available. The camera may need to be held on a tripod for best focus stability.

There are different qualities of ZnSe lens. Some are designed for use on cameras and in labs. They cost a lot of money. The cheaper ZnSe and GaAs lenses we buy from Asia are intended for use in CO2 laser systems and are of variable quality. There is a standard lens type that is the cheapest and an ‘HQ’ lens that is said to be better optical quality. The HQ lens is a bit more expensive but still not a bad price. Expect to pay $30 to $50 for one. Neither type of CO2 laser lens is actually designed for use on a thermal camera and the manufacturers advise that the lenses are for non critical optical applications where some distortion is acceptable. It is a happy coincidence that the CO2 operating wavelength falls within the LWIR band and so the CO2 laser lenses are AR coated to work at LWIR. Whilst they work well as a close-up lens in our application, do not expect the very highest optical performance from them. Often centre focus is good, whilst edge focus is degraded somewhat. For their cost, these lenses cannot be beaten however :)

If you want better close-up optics for your camera, there are commercial supplemental lenses for FLIR and FLUKE cameras but these high quality lenses cost more than your camera :( I have managed to buy some used close-up lenses at reasonable prices on eBay however.

Also.... remember that adding a supplemental lens to your camera does effect the measurement accuracy. The readings will be slightly low with a ZnSe lens fitted. You can test this by imaging a surface of known temperature with and without the ZnSe lens fitted. Temperature measurements should be carried out with the target area in focus.

Fraser
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 01:03:19 pm by Fraser »
Cogito, ergo sum

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2021, 11:23:28 pm »
I did a review on this camera a little while ago, in case it is of help:

Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics & Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline Santi-hr

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2021, 11:35:23 pm »
Hello,

If you want to extract the thermal data from the .bmp files you can use my python script. At the bottom of the readme I show my findings about the embedded data structure:
https://github.com/Santi-hr/UNI-T-Thermal-Utilities

Also, I have made a video review for those who are considering purchasing it. In my opinion it is a good camera in terms of value/price, although not for precision professional use.
Beware, the video is in Spanish (with English subs):

The following users thanked this post: ralphrmartin, chemary, Cliff Matthews, MiDi

Offline Turbo_slug

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2021, 09:08:15 pm »
Hello,

If you want to extract the thermal data from the .bmp files you can use my python script. At the bottom of the readme I show my findings about the embedded data structure:
https://github.com/Santi-hr/UNI-T-Thermal-Utilities

Also, I have made a video review for those who are considering purchasing it. In my opinion it is a good camera in terms of value/price, although not for precision professional use.
Beware, the video is in Spanish (with English subs):

Great review.

Has anyone tried the analysis software with images taken in low gain mode?  I find the software gets the temperatures all wrong.

Also, does anyone find it annoying that the camera's temperature tracking mode dont allow for only high or low points to be tracked?  Sometimes I don't want to see both on the screen.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 09:19:34 pm by Turbo_slug »

Offline JimM

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2021, 09:09:31 pm »
Santi-hr,
Thanks for the information on the UNI-T bmp file format on GitHub. It is well documented. One thing I don't understand though, how do you get temperatures from the thermal data in the file ? The thermal data is 1 byte per pixel. So you have a range of 0 to 255 (unsigned) or -128 to 127 if it's considered signed. How are these values converted to temperatures?

Thanks again,
Jim

Offline yhjiang

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2021, 02:25:40 am »
That is true that Uni-t use iray sensor. Iray is leading manufacuturer of infrared sensor, and making big progress in the thermal imaging finished products.

Offline Santi-hr

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2021, 10:23:17 am »
Has anyone tried the analysis software with images taken in low gain mode?  I find the software gets the temperatures all wrong.

As far as I understand, the temperature range of the camera is split in two. When in low gain only the temperatures between 150ºC and 550ºC are measured with precision, so with that gain any temperature lower than 150ºC can not be really used.

Santi-hr,
Thanks for the information on the UNI-T bmp file format on GitHub. It is well documented. One thing I don't understand though, how do you get temperatures from the thermal data in the file ? The thermal data is 1 byte per pixel. So you have a range of 0 to 255 (unsigned) or -128 to 127 if it's considered signed. How are these values converted to temperatures?

Thanks again,
Jim

What I found is that it is an unsigned byte, with only values between 0 and 254 used. As the array matches the bmp image and no calibration parameters can be found I discarded that these are radiometric values. Currently I just apply a linear interpolation between the minimum and maximum temperatures embbeded on the file. I could try to use the three point measurements to verify that the python outputs the same temperatures for those points.

Edit: I checked with the Uni-T software and it seem it does what I do. Also that this encoding messes up the temperatures when there are extreme temperatures on screen. For example, in the attached image my hand has almost the same bright color as the flame from a small torch, so coverting back the temperature returns about 140ºC. However, the same point with an on screen mesaurement is more precise, 30ºC. So, in conclusion, extracting the temperatures is possible but we have to take them with a grain of salt (The larger the diference the larger the error in the temperatures between).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 07:59:10 pm by Santi-hr »

Offline JimM

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2021, 07:28:31 pm »
Santi-hr,
Ok I see. Very straight forward way to get temperatures. (Especially compared to the complex way you have to use for Flir JPEG radiometric images).

Jim

Offline Turbo_slug

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2021, 06:18:39 am »

As far as I understand, the temperature range of the camera is split in two. When in low gain only the temperatures between 150ºC and 550ºC are measured with precision, so with that gain any temperature lower than 150ºC can not be really used.

I'm aware of that, but that's not what I'm referring to.  I recorded some images of my bbq grill using low gain mode.  If I use the analysis software to measure the same points measured by the camera, I get a totally different value.  All measurement points were between 150c to 550c.

Offline Santi-hr

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2021, 11:34:59 am »

I'm aware of that, but that's not what I'm referring to.  I recorded some images of my bbq grill using low gain mode.  If I use the analysis software to measure the same points measured by the camera, I get a totally different value.  All measurement points were between 150c to 550c.

Yes, just yesterday I realized that because of how uni-t is storing the "thermal data" on the files it is messing the temperatures when there is a large temperature range. It does not matter the gain selection. Right now, the only way to get accurate measurements is to use the in-camera points.
It seems that they are sorting all the temperatures on screen and setting the linear colorbar on top, so even when there are large differences the gradients can still be seen. For example, if some point is at 500ºC and the rest at 100ºC, the whole image should be on the lower part of the colorbar, but this is not the case.
If I manage to improve the extraction I will let you know.

Offline charlesrg

• Contributor
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2021, 11:42:25 pm »
Would you guys suggest using an UNI T 260B for home electronics ? checking on mosfet temperatures and possible wiring faults ?

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2021, 03:22:10 pm »
Good review just posted. We can hope Uni-T was listening because the software issues need fixing.

The following users thanked this post: voltlog

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2021, 03:35:56 pm »
I cannot recall ever finding a firmware update for my Uni-T meters or oscilloscopes so do not hold your breath waiting for a firmware update to be released by them for this camera  :(

The true OEM of the camera may produce a new firmware so it is worth looking for OEM updates. Whether the update works on the UNi-T branded camera is another matter. Sadly my experience has often been that these budget products are released with a firmware that is ‘good enough’ and then the company moves onto to the next products development without looking back to fix problems with ‘under cooked’ firmware on previous products. I have had conversations with design teams who admit that a product has clear faults in the design of firmware but the management want to recover the investment quickly so it gets shipped and people buy it.... the management are happy if it sells and care little about bugs in firmware or missing features. Sadly I see a bit of that attitude in Seek Thermal products  :(

Fraser
Cogito, ergo sum

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2021, 07:38:44 am »
I was planning to buy a flir one pro this year for general household use and for looking at  thermal characteristics of PCBs but now that I've found this thread i believe that UTi260b is better than flir one pro in all aspects! Plus it is much cheaper!

I am not a professional, but rather a hobbyist, so big money for flir cameras is not justified and will not be paid back by my job. It is purely for enjoyment and personal use! ;)
Does anyone have experience with flir one pro in order to compare?
I also believe that battery runtime will be much higher since flir one states one hour runtime, in theory... which will be even smaller in real life.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 07:41:05 am by Brexei »

Offline voltlog

• Regular Contributor
    • VoltLog
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2021, 02:29:45 pm »
My review linked above shows a comparison with a Flir ONE gen 3.

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2021, 09:30:02 pm »
Great review!
So the only drawbacks seem to be the poor ir and visible image blending and the inability to record video.
But you can record video if you connect it to your phone, right? Then it is more or less OK.
Given the possibility of having a problematic sample, like some people have mentioned here, which site would you recommend for buying? Which one is the safest?
I am going to pull the trigger on this camera soon. I'm excited! :)

Offline DaneLaw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2021, 05:33:05 pm »
Looks surprisingly decent for a self-contained rugged unit, at that sub 300USD mark with around 50k pixels.
Though the option at 280USD from Banggood.. is out of stock, though with a soon arrival notice, but those sokn arrival notices, can stand like that for ages.
On Aliexpress and likewise, it seems to start around +310USD.

- if the 280USD from fall 2020 will be the case when they perhaps get stock again, is difficult to guess, I doubt it' as the overall prices have elevated quite a bit here in 2021 and the latest entry on Banggood coupon-register/database shows 327USD with the same coupon, that in fall 2020 was synonym with the 280USD..
The 310USD from the likes of AliE and other small indidividuel Chinawholesalers is likely as low as it gets here in 2Q 2021..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 06:24:02 pm by DaneLaw »

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2021, 03:46:44 pm »
Well, compared to flir one pro, which costs an equivalent price of about 450-500 $ here in Greece, it is cheap!
As i said, i was initially thinking about the flir one pro but it costs too much for what it offers. Plus i do not like some things, like the small battery life, the micro usb connector which is prone to damage if you exert some force etc. I have read the entire topic and seen all reviews of Uti260b so i believe it is better in almost all aspects and will be good for most non professional users that do not require calibrated measurements.
So if i understand correctly you can record video if you connect it to your phone, right? Then it is OK. No serious drawbacks apart from ir and visible image blending...

Offline Santi-hr

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2021, 10:09:17 pm »
Well, compared to flir one pro, which costs an equivalent price of about 450-500 $ here in Greece, it is cheap!
As i said, i was initially thinking about the flir one pro but it costs too much for what it offers. Plus i do not like some things, like the small battery life, the micro usb connector which is prone to damage if you exert some force etc. I have read the entire topic and seen all reviews of Uti260b so i believe it is better in almost all aspects and will be good for most non professional users that do not require calibrated measurements.
So if i understand correctly you can record video if you connect it to your phone, right? Then it is OK. No serious drawbacks apart from ir and visible image blending...

Yes, you can record videos using a phone with an OTG cable or with a computer, using a different application than the default "Camera" in Windows. Although when streaming the framerate drops significantly (See 16:49, 17:04 or 17:43 on my video for some examples).
For non professional users I think this camera is quite good for its price. The image blending is crap, but the thermal image has enough resolution to make out what part of the image you are looking at. I only use the thermal or some times ROI, but I try to avoid the blending mode.

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2021, 01:44:26 pm »
Living in the northest part of Europe i would like to ask any fellow European citizen if he (she) knows the best way for shipping such an item from China and avoid customs. I have received numerous small items in the past, but this one is big!
I will probably buy frrom Aliexpress, since it appears to be the cheapest and i would like to pay with paypal for safety.
Does anyone have experience with customs in Europe? How can i avoid it?
Thanks

Offline Djsajmy

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2021, 06:48:46 am »
I was also looking for the 260B but you can only get one from China to Europe...
With VAT and import fees its around 400€ from Aliexpress or Banggood.

I'm surprised that there is non from any resellers in Europe.

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2021, 09:54:00 am »
Doing a research i found that if you order from Banggood and choose the "Priority Direct Mail" shipping method it gets delivered to Amsterdam at first, with a small customs fee already paid by Banggood (hence the higher postage cost) and then it gets delivered to your county, free of charge and originating from the EU, so no customs.

Haven't tested this yet, but many people say it works perfectly!

I will not order from China, because as you said it will be at least 100 Euros more, plus delays at the customs. I've also heard that they will ask you for the paypal transaction proof in order to determine what you really paid and not trust the seller any more. So, no way to trick them any more.

Only small items can pass through customs if they did not cost much.

Offline erikbrenn

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2021, 08:55:06 pm »
Hi all,

I got my camera today and so far I'm impressed by it. 

A few people have mentioned that it's not possible to capture video with it. I'm not sure what they meant but I have no problems adding the thermal stream as a video capture feed in OBS :)  However it doesn't work via an USB hub, it has to be connected directly to your computer. I have tested with two different USB3 hubs and it doesn't work.  I just ordered a 3m USB3 cable to address that (the included cable is cheapish and 2m long)

Cheers,
Erik
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:57:58 pm by erikbrenn »

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2021, 04:27:39 pm »
I got my camera today and so far I'm impressed by it. 

Cool! Do you have any sample images from circuits? I found the video reviews a bit lacking in practical examples, like looking for a short circuit.

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2021, 07:31:36 am »
I ordered it yesterday from Aliexpress. There was an option to ship from Chech republic, so i will not mess with customs at all. It was a bit more expensive than ordering from China, but well worth the hassle. Price was about 340 usd, shipping included, so pretty nice.
It is supposed to arrive in 10 days... :)

Offline optotester

• Contributor
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2021, 06:39:39 am »
Note that the manufacturer of the microbolometer is now selling a similar model on its own.

C200 for 267€ https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005002198790263.html?spm=a2g0w.12010612.8148356.4.5bc626a9BOht7h
C210 for 306€ https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005001994852160.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.528e6c37t3Dvrt

According to InfiRay, main difference is that C210 is normally for China market and is UVC compliant so it can be easily used as a camera when connected to PC (+ it is delivered with a storage pouch).

I went for C210, I hope I will not regret this choice.

Offline johnf30

« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2021, 05:30:09 pm »
Does anyone know if this can be used as a webcam on Linux?

Offline logocar3

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2021, 07:46:28 am »
Uuuu nice find!

But I only see C200 and C200 Pro on their product page... Is the C200 Pro the same product as C210? Even if I go to the Chinese page there is no C210...

Offline optotester

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2021, 11:13:17 am »
According to the support team on Youtube, C200 and C210 only differ by the presence of UVC. But after asking by email, I was told C200 and C210 are identical now. So if I had to reorder, I would go for the cheapest option.

C200 Pro is not being sold on Aliexpress.

Offline logocar3

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2021, 10:57:23 am »
So the C200 also supports UVC? This would be amazing, hoping that on Aliexpress is the updated version of c200 :)

I sent 1 email and sent the same content via the form on their website and got no response yet... to which address did you send an email?

Offline optotester

• Contributor
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2021, 11:36:55 am »
You can contact them at :
 InfiRay . CS (at) iraytek . com
(remove spaces and replace « at »)

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2021, 03:59:30 pm »
I ordered it yesterday from Aliexpress. There was an option to ship from Chech republic, so i will not mess with customs at all. It was a bit more expensive than ordering from China, but well worth the hassle. Price was about 340 usd, shipping included, so pretty nice.
It is supposed to arrive in 10 days... :)

Update:

It is more than 20 days now and it seems that the seller shipped it from China! I had chosen shipping from Czech Republic and paid more, but he sent it from China and it will now go through customs! :(
I have already started a dispute and wait till the shipping guarantee period ends...
It is strange because other people reported that they got it from Czech Republic in less than 10 days. So it seemed like a legit store with lots of positive feedback.
I do not know how this will end, so better be careful if somebody else needs to buy from within the EU.

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2021, 08:58:44 am »
Which cheap ZnSe lens would you suggest for close ups? (small pcbs for example)?

I have found this seller on ebay (now that's a long link!):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173879531148?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item287c07168c:g:xroAAOSwHqNcuAYy&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACgBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkSG%252BOFgrj2Yvbvmrj2TAdM%252F%252BtrrI8vuMjJtVOBHMV1yQWukltxSE2h9z7KuF6hkGSGxR4TwX71WgHclBuSzSgY4FkuVN390dErZgzJ1HT2sf2ggFzx3qkSaTb4i0vt4HXYK1NUb82P5mQuIGNdGakepZ7Ia1hRD%252F%252FpX4PhuQslpNIWWG7Wn3eDGH8pxb%252FOF%252BwX1ZgktDBjZ14eJslHyoPIeCzerD%252F7H59MOBKV7xjfONoc0xT1B3KwsrnBF6Ja39Fm2h4MYrqQFDglzEMHaeDxu2yj8Kzq3h0v9uGfZbVQ7gPPIAdydBZ0nb1ewDD%252BXxsblsCK7%252Bm39NDKdlE4pulKTkueHH5GVBHJaM7B%252FJqpnTKEGoBkRS4ToChCMsEX4VwInr5fPecK%252BjkE%252BF%252F1UDh1Z6fqLUDEYDtitw0VDZx4IpA0eEeOL2KC8mC%252BjhvpM9nm5YItD4VntXvnjH%252B7Qwus2ITb0ViADHpIT7syX%252BIvgZrkZG74zt5%252FkxjP6tmfZSied0qY%252BJbL5c9Os94vSAI4zYtQF%252BO6%252FNNpDWp2pOzU2FuzRE1yKh%252FaTTtXhylnQ%252F8F4OERmqAOvF31tcSUCB6EDuBYWrRAv2RjawI6ivDPmkHoBm8sEVkZfKtoP09T5Io3jCapLTkErk1J2aHU9T2BB707Pxp9wMLuj4imz54qj9UofIctks8x540zQQs5qXz35Bxm55CTtNWAlRJ9Al2S8tRlg3BV%252FcpNVnvQnHI2A7eL11%252FuKIrX24yW1zhz5oevzkdojsZ3wzx6vIckHBX3sisZNfKvpslCnYhVrQi2J4%253D%7Ccksum%3A173879531148bdc50592813f4ef398b9ce4c90bc3c3a%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

It seems that all diameters are selling for similar price! Would getting a larger diameter lens improve quality, because light will be deflecting only at the center and not the edges, where most lenses are problematic? I remember that this holds true for optical lenses, but i am not sure for IR.

Also, what is the most suitable focal length for closeups of pcbs? 50mm or 76 mm?

Offline logocar3

« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2021, 10:15:31 am »
OK, I got to the technical department of the Infiray about different items, after quite some problems to reach them. The specs of differnet models are as following:

C200: 256*192, -20℃~550℃, FOV56°, battery life 11h.
C200 PRO: 256*192, -20℃~550℃, FOV56°, battery life 15h, Support automatic alarm snapshot. support realtime online data transfering to PC (UVC).
C210: same as C200 Pro, but C210 only selling in Internet shop.

@Brexei ask for refund, Aliexpress is usually nice and many times refund fuckups :D

Offline c1400700226

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2021, 09:18:53 am »
Well I just bought an UTi220A Pro, it's an rebranded UTi260b with swapped color of the shell plastic and rubber. Price is about 273 USD. After some initial test I am shocked by how poor the design is.. It uses Type-C port, but doesn't work with Type-C to Type-C cable.. The captured image turned out to be just screenshot.. There is no way to manually set temp range, no way to get the raw sensor data, no way to record clean video, all I have is to see where is hotter or cooler on this TN display with awful viewing angle... And the software looks like a homework of an newbie programmer, it even contains some miscopied folders inside the installer.. And in order to review captured images the device must be connected, there is no way to open images saved on computer..
Overall I would say it's more like a child toy with a thermal camera, other than a professional thermal imaging tool... I am new to thermal imaging, ever read the manual of FLIR T1020 and was surprised by the functionality of a thermal camera, so I thought the UNI-T would have similar features but just worse image quality, however... I should've read the UNI-T manual before purchasing... And I broke the screw cap on the handle due to curiosity, so no way to return it now.. Anyway, the thermal resolution seems to be good, it's a pretty advantage isn't it😂 Well this isn't a very pleasing start like always, a lot more to learn haha

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2021, 05:56:11 pm »

@Brexei ask for refund, Aliexpress is usually nice and many times refund fuckups :D

Well, the 25 days guarantee delivery time has long passed and aliexpress gave me a full refund. I am going to wait some more time and see if it is totally lost or it arrives from China. Thankfully i got a refund so no worries.
It might not be as accurate and professional as a flir but keep in mind that a flir with a similar resolution costs more than 1000 euros! So non-professional users would never be able to buy such a tool.

Offline fr0zzen

« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2021, 07:51:01 am »
I have bought Infiray C200. And want to use it as video camera. From what I see on youtube it is the same as UTI260B - same firmware same button layout - maybe c200 has faster frame rate.
My version of C200 has option in settings USB video or USB disk. When i connect camera to my pc via usb C to usb A wich is provided by infiray - windows 10 recognizes USB device connected. Using zadig-2.5 program i find usb UVC camera and install usb drivers. Then I'm trying to use ThermoVision_JoeC_V1.10.0. But i'm lost there - need help. I found a post on ThermoVision_JoeC_V1.10.0 that UTI260B is supported camera, so c200 should be also supported.
I tried all functions but without any luck.  ???
Can anyone guide my how to use c200 with thermo vision app?
Can anyone give me link to infiray software for pictures analysis?
"Help Me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're My Only Hope"  :)

Offline Santi-hr

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2021, 07:25:21 pm »
From what I have seen online, the C200 does save radiometric information, not like the UTi260b that only stores a grayscale image. So probably what Joe-c implemented does not work for this new camera. It seems that Infiray started from UNI-T firmware and updated it.

Offline c1400700226

« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2021, 11:58:03 am »
From what I have seen online, the C200 does save radiometric information, not like the UTi260b that only stores a grayscale image. So probably what Joe-c implemented does not work for this new camera. It seems that Infiray started from UNI-T firmware and updated it.

Hi, I just found your script may have a little bug, the images which have lable on the edge may show one line of residual, I opened an issue on github, could you please check? Thanks in advance.

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2021, 02:38:35 pm »
Finally, my UTi260B has arrived! (from China and not Europe, as i had ordered it from...). It has been a very long time since i received a full refund and i am lucky that i did so. I will explain.

The unit is a very nice piece of equipment for home users and it is value for money. The resolution is nice and you do not have to use the optical image at all (but is saves an optical image as well as the thermal when you press the trigger). It is precise, fast and does almost everything a home user would ask. The price is also fair for what you get. If you are a professional and would like more features and precise calibrated measurements you can get a Flir for three times the money. But for the average non-pro user it is perfect!

BUT: After a couple of days mine also developed a hot spot at the bottom!! I remember someone here mentioned that he had a hotspot too and people replied that it could be due to dust in the sensor. Well, maybe it is not... Mine is OK when it starts up cold, but develops the hotspot as it warms up!

[attach=1]
[attach=2]

It does not matter if i move it around or not. Hotspot always appears. Sometimes it might be a cold spot. So, i believe that it is a deficiency in some sensors, or improper factory testing, and it is the risk you take for such a low price.

However, i suggest that potential buyers test their meter for a few days before declaring it 'received' and miss the refund, if something like this appears.

Other than that it performs perfectly nice. Clicking (and pausing for half a second) for calibration is done frequently when it starts up, but gradually becomes rare when temperature inside the unit is stabilized. I am very happy with the overall performance and user experience. But i am happy i got a refund because now it is way too late to fill in any claim from the seller.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2021, 04:43:53 pm »
The first thing I note on both your images is the temperature span. Anything near 1C temperature span will challenge any thermal camera when it comes to a low noise thermally flat image. I can see the area of temperature difference in the first image as well as the second. It may well be due to pixel drift or poor NUC but it could also be due to a localised temperature difference in the vicinity of the microbolometer. Such would normally cause a warmer area only. The FFC shutter event will normally reduce or remove small temperature deviations across the microbolometer. Does the area become less apparent after an FFC event ?

If you have a temperature span of 10C does the area still appear different to the rest of the display ? If not, your camera is behaving pretty well for it’s price point.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 04:48:44 pm by Fraser »
Cogito, ergo sum

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2021, 06:24:12 am »
Well, there might be an element (resistor?) near the bottom of the microbolometer that becomes hot and affects the image. I took a thermal image of my house inner wall to better illustrate this phenomenon, so the temperature span is really small.

It does not improve when FFC happens, unfortunately. The only way to remove this is by looking at an image with a span above 6-7 degrees. So, yes a span of 10 degrees will not have this effect any more (it is not visible). Apart from this the camera is an excellent performer for the money! And did i mention that the battery lasts for ever? You can play for 3-4 hours and still there is battery left over! :)

Offline Bill W

• Frequent Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2021, 11:21:10 am »
Well, there might be an element (resistor?) near the bottom of the microbolometer that becomes hot and affects the image.

While there is an ADC somewhere that gets warm, as Fraser says the shutter NUC event should clear that.

I'd be more inclined to think that there is some kind of reflection or error in the flag design so it is not fully blanking or maybe not fully clearing from the sensor field of view.

Bill

The following users thanked this post: Fraser

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2021, 12:01:23 pm »
The IRay Tiny1 is a miniature imaging core and it could well be that the FFC shutter is operating in very confined conditions, leading to the shutter issues that you mention Bill :-+ Your explanation sounds highly plausible.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 12:03:40 pm by Fraser »
Cogito, ergo sum

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2021, 07:38:24 pm »
I performed some more tests...

When completely cold the phenomenon does not appear at all! Even for a temperature span of 1 C. As it warms up it gets more and more evident.

Second, if you measure something that spans 5 degrees, but it is cooler than 30 C then it appears. If you have the same span but you measure something that is at 40 C then it does not appear! So i think it might be some hot spot near the microbolometer which is not properly compensated by the shutter event due to poor construction. Or, as you said, it could be that the shutter is not uniform and there is a cold spot at the bottom.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 07:41:27 pm by Brexei »

Offline Guessologist

« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2021, 04:18:56 am »
Hi all, just registered to say thanks for helping me make an informed decision around which thermal camera to purchase after reading this thread, and to add another data point. Had a FLIR One Pro that I had to return due to some crud under the front lens element showing up on the images, so decided to take a punt on a Chinese device if the QC is going to be iffy anyway with the name brands. Went with Ebay over AliExpress for a bit more buyer protection, but in AU the import charges kill the value of the 260B somewhat and choices are more limited. I ended up going with the Ziboo ST9450A+ which is as far as I can tell identical to the 260b / C200, for around AUD$400 delivered. Arrived from China this morning, in about 10 days. Came with a case, charging cable, 16gb micro sd card and a thumb drive with the PC software. Works perfectly by the looks so far, but does not have a PC video menu option.

As an aside the HTI website had the ST9450A+ listed for a while at about AUD$450 delivered on behalf of one of their partner companies, apparently to get the name out there quickly.

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2021, 08:42:20 am »
I have  received a InfiRay C200 which I bought after reading the posts on this thread.

The camera is fine, but there is no menu for setting the USB and I cannot connect to the computer by USB, contrary to what was stated  by fr0zzen in this thread. Maybe due to a different software release.  I have asked about it but had no answer yet.
It comes from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001599665046.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dWFN8Wr
I see that now  they are no longer selling the C200 but the C210 and advertise for the USB connection and PC software. I am not very happy as my order was less than one month ago ( June 11).

I have also designed a small holder for a 20 mm ZnSe lens. This is great for PCB. The 3D files are here : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4901923

The lens come from
https://cloudray.aliexpress.com/store/group/CO2-Lens-Mirror/1513187_508197391.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.pcShopHead_5999282.1_1

Below are the pictures
- without lens

- with 63.5 mm focal USA CVD lens

- with 50.8 mm focal China PVD lens
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 09:01:17 am by JacquesBBB »

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2021, 04:25:30 pm »
Here is the answer  from UNI-T

C200 has been discontinued. C210 is an upgraded version. C210 can communicate with PC now. C200 cannot be upgraded. Sorry

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf