Author Topic: Uni-t UTi260B  (Read 110244 times)

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Uni-t UTi260B
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2020, 08:14:08 pm »
You could try unscrewing the lens assembly with a suitable tool. The lens is normally a threaded mount and may be locked in position with some epoxy. This is why it is best to dismantle the camera to inspect the core construction before trying to remove the lens. If the lens can be removed it may be possible to clean the microbolometer window with an air duster or even direct cleaning using an appropriate technique and tools. Great care is needed though. Also make sure the focus setting of the camera is noted and correctly set once the lens is refitted.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2021, 12:24:14 pm »
I've promised an update with the ZnSe lens when I receive it and I've received it (D is 20mm and FL 63.5mm).
I've quickly designed a holder for the lens that can be pushed on the front of the camera and 3D printed it.

There is no question about that I can get more details with it now and such lens easily worth the extra US $10 investment (printing was virtually free). It's also clear that it cannot compete with the variable focus cameras but it's good enough for me (maybe it could be still enhanced, I don't know...). The attached pictures show my earlier subjects so the improvement can be compared.
Note: The lens attached the camera it can be used only for close distance as things further away get blurry with it, so you have to decide which distance to use.
* lensholder.zip (3.09 kB - downloaded 411 times.)

I try to attach the STL file as well so if you wish you can try (print) it as well.
Notes for the printing: I've used black PLA as it was pulled to the extruder already but probably there are other materials better suited for this (I also have red filament that would probably look better on the cam). As I don't have soluble support capable printer I had to simplify my initial (fancier) design so that it can be printed without any support printing switched on (I've tried with support but it was very hard to remove the support). Instead however a generous amount of brim has to be used for good adhesion.

update: lens must be glued to the holder.
* lensholder.zip (3.09 kB - downloaded 411 times.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 01:14:21 pm by edigi »

The following users thanked this post: analogRF, doppelgrau, Tugo, AlexP.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2021, 12:50:25 pm »
Note that the ZnSe lenses come in Planar-Convex and Bi-Convex. With Planar Convex you may get a better image quality but you would need to experiment with which surface (Flat or Convex) faces the item under observation. With my commercial Meniscus close-up lenses the concave side faces the object under observation but users of Planar Convex ZnSe lenses report that they get best results with the convex side facing the target.

The ZnSe supplemental lens is just like placing reading spectacles on your camera. It provides close focus but you lose distance imaging and there is a definite small depth of field over which good focus is available. The camera may need to be held on a tripod for best focus stability.

There are different qualities of ZnSe lens. Some are designed for use on cameras and in labs. They cost a lot of money. The cheaper ZnSe and GaAs lenses we buy from Asia are intended for use in CO2 laser systems and are of variable quality. There is a standard lens type that is the cheapest and an ‘HQ’ lens that is said to be better optical quality. The HQ lens is a bit more expensive but still not a bad price. Expect to pay $30 to $50 for one. Neither type of CO2 laser lens is actually designed for use on a thermal camera and the manufacturers advise that the lenses are for non critical optical applications where some distortion is acceptable. It is a happy coincidence that the CO2 operating wavelength falls within the LWIR band and so the CO2 laser lenses are AR coated to work at LWIR. Whilst they work well as a close-up lens in our application, do not expect the very highest optical performance from them. Often centre focus is good, whilst edge focus is degraded somewhat. For their cost, these lenses cannot be beaten however :)

If you want better close-up optics for your camera, there are commercial supplemental lenses for FLIR and FLUKE cameras but these high quality lenses cost more than your camera :( I have managed to buy some used close-up lenses at reasonable prices on eBay however.

Also.... remember that adding a supplemental lens to your camera does effect the measurement accuracy. The readings will be slightly low with a ZnSe lens fitted. You can test this by imaging a surface of known temperature with and without the ZnSe lens fitted. Temperature measurements should be carried out with the target area in focus.

Fraser
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 01:03:19 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: jorgemef, BmaxTom

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2021, 11:23:28 pm »
I did a review on this camera a little while ago, in case it is of help:

Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline Santi-hr

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2021, 11:35:23 pm »
Hello,

If you want to extract the thermal data from the .bmp files you can use my python script. At the bottom of the readme I show my findings about the embedded data structure:
https://github.com/Santi-hr/UNI-T-Thermal-Utilities

Also, I have made a video review for those who are considering purchasing it. In my opinion it is a good camera in terms of value/price, although not for precision professional use.
Beware, the video is in Spanish (with English subs):

The following users thanked this post: ralphrmartin, chemary, SilverSolder, Cliff Matthews, MiDi, raquenaengineering

Offline Turbo_slug

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2021, 09:08:15 pm »
Hello,

If you want to extract the thermal data from the .bmp files you can use my python script. At the bottom of the readme I show my findings about the embedded data structure:
https://github.com/Santi-hr/UNI-T-Thermal-Utilities

Also, I have made a video review for those who are considering purchasing it. In my opinion it is a good camera in terms of value/price, although not for precision professional use.
Beware, the video is in Spanish (with English subs):

Great review.

Has anyone tried the analysis software with images taken in low gain mode?  I find the software gets the temperatures all wrong.

Also, does anyone find it annoying that the camera's temperature tracking mode dont allow for only high or low points to be tracked?  Sometimes I don't want to see both on the screen.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 09:19:34 pm by Turbo_slug »

Offline JimM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2021, 09:09:31 pm »
Santi-hr,
Thanks for the information on the UNI-T bmp file format on GitHub. It is well documented. One thing I don't understand though, how do you get temperatures from the thermal data in the file ? The thermal data is 1 byte per pixel. So you have a range of 0 to 255 (unsigned) or -128 to 127 if it's considered signed. How are these values converted to temperatures?

Thanks again,
Jim

Offline yhjiang

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2021, 02:25:40 am »
That is true that Uni-t use iray sensor. Iray is leading manufacuturer of infrared sensor, and making big progress in the thermal imaging finished products.

Offline Santi-hr

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2021, 10:23:17 am »
Has anyone tried the analysis software with images taken in low gain mode?  I find the software gets the temperatures all wrong.

As far as I understand, the temperature range of the camera is split in two. When in low gain only the temperatures between 150ºC and 550ºC are measured with precision, so with that gain any temperature lower than 150ºC can not be really used.

Santi-hr,
Thanks for the information on the UNI-T bmp file format on GitHub. It is well documented. One thing I don't understand though, how do you get temperatures from the thermal data in the file ? The thermal data is 1 byte per pixel. So you have a range of 0 to 255 (unsigned) or -128 to 127 if it's considered signed. How are these values converted to temperatures?

Thanks again,
Jim

What I found is that it is an unsigned byte, with only values between 0 and 254 used. As the array matches the bmp image and no calibration parameters can be found I discarded that these are radiometric values. Currently I just apply a linear interpolation between the minimum and maximum temperatures embbeded on the file. I could try to use the three point measurements to verify that the python outputs the same temperatures for those points.

Edit: I checked with the Uni-T software and it seem it does what I do. Also that this encoding messes up the temperatures when there are extreme temperatures on screen. For example, in the attached image my hand has almost the same bright color as the flame from a small torch, so coverting back the temperature returns about 140ºC. However, the same point with an on screen mesaurement is more precise, 30ºC. So, in conclusion, extracting the temperatures is possible but we have to take them with a grain of salt (The larger the diference the larger the error in the temperatures between).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 07:59:10 pm by Santi-hr »

Offline JimM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2021, 07:28:31 pm »
Santi-hr,
Ok I see. Very straight forward way to get temperatures. (Especially compared to the complex way you have to use for Flir JPEG radiometric images).

Jim

Offline Turbo_slug

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2021, 06:18:39 am »

As far as I understand, the temperature range of the camera is split in two. When in low gain only the temperatures between 150ºC and 550ºC are measured with precision, so with that gain any temperature lower than 150ºC can not be really used.

I'm aware of that, but that's not what I'm referring to.  I recorded some images of my bbq grill using low gain mode.  If I use the analysis software to measure the same points measured by the camera, I get a totally different value.  All measurement points were between 150c to 550c.

Offline Santi-hr

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2021, 11:34:59 am »

I'm aware of that, but that's not what I'm referring to.  I recorded some images of my bbq grill using low gain mode.  If I use the analysis software to measure the same points measured by the camera, I get a totally different value.  All measurement points were between 150c to 550c.

Yes, just yesterday I realized that because of how uni-t is storing the "thermal data" on the files it is messing the temperatures when there is a large temperature range. It does not matter the gain selection. Right now, the only way to get accurate measurements is to use the in-camera points.
It seems that they are sorting all the temperatures on screen and setting the linear colorbar on top, so even when there are large differences the gradients can still be seen. For example, if some point is at 500ºC and the rest at 100ºC, the whole image should be on the lower part of the colorbar, but this is not the case.
If I manage to improve the extraction I will let you know.

Offline charlesrg

• Contributor
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2021, 11:42:25 pm »
Would you guys suggest using an UNI T 260B for home electronics ? checking on mosfet temperatures and possible wiring faults ?

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2021, 03:22:10 pm »
Good review just posted. We can hope Uni-T was listening because the software issues need fixing.

The following users thanked this post: voltlog

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2021, 03:35:56 pm »
I cannot recall ever finding a firmware update for my Uni-T meters or oscilloscopes so do not hold your breath waiting for a firmware update to be released by them for this camera  :(

The true OEM of the camera may produce a new firmware so it is worth looking for OEM updates. Whether the update works on the UNi-T branded camera is another matter. Sadly my experience has often been that these budget products are released with a firmware that is ‘good enough’ and then the company moves onto to the next products development without looking back to fix problems with ‘under cooked’ firmware on previous products. I have had conversations with design teams who admit that a product has clear faults in the design of firmware but the management want to recover the investment quickly so it gets shipped and people buy it.... the management are happy if it sells and care little about bugs in firmware or missing features. Sadly I see a bit of that attitude in Seek Thermal products  :(

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2021, 07:38:44 am »
I was planning to buy a flir one pro this year for general household use and for looking at  thermal characteristics of PCBs but now that I've found this thread i believe that UTi260b is better than flir one pro in all aspects! Plus it is much cheaper!

I am not a professional, but rather a hobbyist, so big money for flir cameras is not justified and will not be paid back by my job. It is purely for enjoyment and personal use! ;)
Does anyone have experience with flir one pro in order to compare?
I also believe that battery runtime will be much higher since flir one states one hour runtime, in theory... which will be even smaller in real life.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 07:41:05 am by Brexei »

Offline voltlog

• Regular Contributor
    • VoltLog
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2021, 02:29:45 pm »
My review linked above shows a comparison with a Flir ONE gen 3.

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2021, 09:30:02 pm »
Great review!
So the only drawbacks seem to be the poor ir and visible image blending and the inability to record video.
But you can record video if you connect it to your phone, right? Then it is more or less OK.
Given the possibility of having a problematic sample, like some people have mentioned here, which site would you recommend for buying? Which one is the safest?
I am going to pull the trigger on this camera soon. I'm excited! :)

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2021, 05:33:05 pm »
Looks surprisingly decent for a self-contained rugged unit, at that sub 300USD mark with around 50k pixels.
Though the option at 280USD from Banggood.. is out of stock, though with a soon arrival notice, but those sokn arrival notices, can stand like that for ages.
On Aliexpress and likewise, it seems to start around +310USD.

- if the 280USD from fall 2020 will be the case when they perhaps get stock again, is difficult to guess, I doubt it' as the overall prices have elevated quite a bit here in 2021 and the latest entry on Banggood coupon-register/database shows 327USD with the same coupon, that in fall 2020 was synonym with the 280USD..
The 310USD from the likes of AliE and other small indidividuel Chinawholesalers is likely as low as it gets here in 2Q 2021..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 06:24:02 pm by DaneLaw »

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2021, 03:46:44 pm »
Well, compared to flir one pro, which costs an equivalent price of about 450-500 $ here in Greece, it is cheap!
As i said, i was initially thinking about the flir one pro but it costs too much for what it offers. Plus i do not like some things, like the small battery life, the micro usb connector which is prone to damage if you exert some force etc. I have read the entire topic and seen all reviews of Uti260b so i believe it is better in almost all aspects and will be good for most non professional users that do not require calibrated measurements.
So if i understand correctly you can record video if you connect it to your phone, right? Then it is OK. No serious drawbacks apart from ir and visible image blending...

Offline Santi-hr

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2021, 10:09:17 pm »
Well, compared to flir one pro, which costs an equivalent price of about 450-500 $ here in Greece, it is cheap!
As i said, i was initially thinking about the flir one pro but it costs too much for what it offers. Plus i do not like some things, like the small battery life, the micro usb connector which is prone to damage if you exert some force etc. I have read the entire topic and seen all reviews of Uti260b so i believe it is better in almost all aspects and will be good for most non professional users that do not require calibrated measurements.
So if i understand correctly you can record video if you connect it to your phone, right? Then it is OK. No serious drawbacks apart from ir and visible image blending...

Yes, you can record videos using a phone with an OTG cable or with a computer, using a different application than the default "Camera" in Windows. Although when streaming the framerate drops significantly (See 16:49, 17:04 or 17:43 on my video for some examples).
For non professional users I think this camera is quite good for its price. The image blending is crap, but the thermal image has enough resolution to make out what part of the image you are looking at. I only use the thermal or some times ROI, but I try to avoid the blending mode.

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2021, 01:44:26 pm »
Living in the northest part of Europe i would like to ask any fellow European citizen if he (she) knows the best way for shipping such an item from China and avoid customs. I have received numerous small items in the past, but this one is big!
I will probably buy frrom Aliexpress, since it appears to be the cheapest and i would like to pay with paypal for safety.
Does anyone have experience with customs in Europe? How can i avoid it?
Thanks

Offline Djsajmy

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2021, 06:48:46 am »
I was also looking for the 260B but you can only get one from China to Europe...
With VAT and import fees its around 400€ from Aliexpress or Banggood.

I'm surprised that there is non from any resellers in Europe.

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2021, 09:54:00 am »
Doing a research i found that if you order from Banggood and choose the "Priority Direct Mail" shipping method it gets delivered to Amsterdam at first, with a small customs fee already paid by Banggood (hence the higher postage cost) and then it gets delivered to your county, free of charge and originating from the EU, so no customs.

Haven't tested this yet, but many people say it works perfectly!

I will not order from China, because as you said it will be at least 100 Euros more, plus delays at the customs. I've also heard that they will ask you for the paypal transaction proof in order to determine what you really paid and not trust the seller any more. So, no way to trick them any more.

Only small items can pass through customs if they did not cost much.

Offline erikbrenn

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2021, 08:55:06 pm »
Hi all,

I got my camera today and so far I'm impressed by it. 

A few people have mentioned that it's not possible to capture video with it. I'm not sure what they meant but I have no problems adding the thermal stream as a video capture feed in OBS :)  However it doesn't work via an USB hub, it has to be connected directly to your computer. I have tested with two different USB3 hubs and it doesn't work.  I just ordered a 3m USB3 cable to address that (the included cable is cheapish and 2m long)

Cheers,
Erik
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:57:58 pm by erikbrenn »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf