Author Topic: Want to get a rugged smartphone with thermal imaging. Any recommendation?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Thermal MichaelTopic starter

Guys, I am thinking about to get a rugged smartphone with thermal imaging function. Kind of lost in all those brands and models. Any recommendation?

And will it be more convenient than a plug-in thermal camera for smartphone? Like FLIR One or InfiRay T3S.

Thank you. :)

Online M0HZH

• Regular Contributor
    • QRPblog
I use the FLIR One for the home lab, it is annoying to plug it in and fire up the software everytime and deal with the high battery drain. I would rather have a standalone camera to be honest.

The following users thanked this post: Thermal Michael

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
Any external dongle will not be rugged, but some external dongles will give you much better quality.

As far as I know there is 4 total phones with a thermal camera that I know of. All of them are Leptons. I own two of them. I cannot recommend them as thermal cameras but I can recommend them as rugged phones with a gimmick.

There might be another phone with a different core embedded, but I have not read much about it. It's from AGM and looks like it has a Seek core, which will be a much better experience due to the framerate and resolution.

Do you have anything specific you want to do with it?

Offline thermalengineer

• Contributor
  • !
At the beginning of January, I went to the CES show in las vegas and surprisingly found that there were some exhibitors (agm/infiray....) presenting their products of rugged phones with thermal imaging. I don't know too much about those two brands, my friends told me that agm new flagship use the thermal sensors from infiray.

Due to the construction and protection features of rugged phones, I tend to choose the phone because rugged phones are better for anyone living or working outdoors than a plug-in thermal camera for smartphones. :)

Offline Thermal MichaelTopic starter

That's what I am thinking about.

And to be honest, although I love FLIR very much but the resolution of FLIR One is unacceptable. They really need a updated version.

As for the thermal rugged smartphone, I never used any of them, but CAT, Blackview and AGM is kind of famous and there are some reviews available online for reference. Does anyone own any of those three above and maybe could give me some advices?

Thanks,

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
I bought a Blackview ruggedized phone specifically for use with a thermal imager. Battery life is fab, protection is pretty good, but the phone itself is largely unusable - the finger detection operates about 3mm above the screen so accurate dabbing (and dabbing when not meaning to) is a big issue. Never managed to resolve it and the phone  has been unloved and unused since about 2 weeks after I got it.

Maybe it was a one-off...

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
I own the CAT S60 and S62 and used them essentially daily since late 2016.

The S62 has been s great update and I am really happy with the device. It even got the promised Android 11 update, which CAT hasn't delivered before. It lacks a headphone jack which might be an issue for some. also you don't have any physical button on the front or below the display... Where the clearly is space to use. That's quite a disappointment. The Thermal camera+ app doesn't work which means I am almost never using the Lepton because I can't stand the blurry "up" scaling.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
I bought a Blackview ruggedized phone specifically for use with a thermal imager. Battery life is fab, protection is pretty good, but the phone itself is largely unusable - the finger detection operates about 3mm above the screen so accurate dabbing (and dabbing when not meaning to) is a big issue. Never managed to resolve it and the phone  has been unloved and unused since about 2 weeks after I got it.

Maybe it was a one-off...

My older BV 9900 Pro has been ok in use.

The problems I've had:
Very prone to random button presses when in a pocket. Literally goes crazy.
Cant update to android 10 due to fingerprint hardware driver problem.
Getting slow now.

Lack of udates is the biggest annoyance for me.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Lack of udates is the biggest annoyance for me.

Can you switch to LineageOS?

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
Not sure, but unlikely the FLIR would be supported?

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Want to get a rugged smartphone with thermal imaging. Any recommendation?
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 01:50:38 am »
Ah, sorry, didn't realise it had the thermal camera embedded.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf