Author Topic: What Macro Lens for the GuideIR PC210  (Read 1665 times)

Offline jweaver

• Contributor
What Macro Lens for the GuideIR PC210
« on: August 17, 2022, 08:39:17 am »
I currently have the a Flir ONE Gen2 (120x160) for Android which I absolutely love, except for the fact that its so annoying to use, I rarely do so.. It recently got worse when I upgraded my phone to a model that has USB-C and now I have to use an adaptor, and the Flir One now so fiddly to use..

So I have always wanted a dedicated Thermal Camera but could never justify the price.. But recently discovered the Uni-T range and after being seduced by the lower end models, decided to pay a bit more and go for the 260B (690B at Banggood).. I was about to order one and then found the review of the GuideIR PC210 and decided to take a punt on that (The quick startup time was the main reason I went for it).

So I am now getting ready for its arrival and wanted to build myself a Macro lens.. I have downloaded the holder (thanks to BmaxTom for that one) and now I need the lenses.

I see that most people use the 50.8mm FL version, so thats what I ordered.. But since there is a holder for the 101.6 lens too, I wonder if its worth making one of these as it only costs £13 for the lens.

And after all that preamble.. Here is my quesiton

What is the difference between the 50.8 and 101.6? Can the 101.6 go closer? Or will it focus further way... Is there much benefit in having both? Or does the 50.8 work pretty well for close up work?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer..

Cheers

Jon

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
Re: What Macro Lens for the GuideIR PC210
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 10:55:58 am »
The 50 gives more magnification than the 100.
Focus is OK either way - you just move it in and out subject to any constraints in the holder design.

Exactly the smae as a normal visual magnifying lens - if you can stop your eyes focussing too

Bill

Offline jweaver

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 12:29:57 pm »
Cheers.. So I got it the wrong way around.

So I think the best thing is that if I go with the 50.8, and find that its too magnified, where as the standard lens too wide.. I could go with a 101.6 later to get something in the middle.

Cheers

Jon

Offline BmaxTom

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 06:10:04 am »
I just quickly took two pictures with a 50.8mm and a 101.6mm lens.

Board dimensions 17.8mm x 35.6mm (Teensy 4.0).

« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 02:09:05 am by BmaxTom »

Offline jweaver

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 10:14:30 am »
Interesting.. Thanks for the photos.. it would have been nice to see how it looked via the default lens... But the 50.8mm is certainly a useful upgrade.. And once I have had chance to compare it to the default lens, I might get myself a 101.6 too.

Thanks again for your help

Jon

Offline jweaver

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 07:47:33 pm »
Got my lens today but am struggling with the holder.. I assume the lens goes in with its convex face pointing out.

The problem I have is that the ring holding it in just falls out.. I am not sure whether its just a friction fit, so printing it a tiny bit bigger might help... Or whether I should put a drop of super glue in to hold it?

Can you shed any light?

Jon

Offline BmaxTom

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 04:55:34 am »
Normally, the lens holder is slightly larger and is only pressed in. You can then add a little bit superglue at the end so that it doesn't fall out again if you press on the lens from the other side.

Offline jweaver

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 08:07:41 am »
Cheers.. I am going to modify the design and make it a fraction of a mm wider to see if I can get it to lock in.. If not, I will dig out the glue (and in truth, I think gluing it makes sense as it a permanent thing which doesn't need to come apart..

Cheers.

Offline jjshortcut

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 06:06:42 pm »
This weekend I also got my PC210 together with a 50.8mm lens (ordered a 101.6mm as well). However I noticed when using the macro lens the temperatures are different then when not using it. Also, when the image of the pcb get more focused the temperature increases.

This is something I do notice in your pictures as well, using a macro lens vs not using it looks like there is an actual temperature diff. of ~10 deg. c. or is this not the case?

And how accurate are the temperature readings? Today I measured an IC at ~60 deg. c. where my thermocouple only measured ~50 deg. c. Any idea of how this happens?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 06:08:22 pm by jjshortcut »

Offline BmaxTom

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 07:17:58 am »
No, I haven't noticed that the temperature with a macro lens deviates significantly. The temperature in the center is also around 40°C in all three pictures. The reason why the maximum temperature of the macro images is 50°C, is that the image was first taken without a macro lens and the choke has not yet heated up that much.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 07:26:20 am by BmaxTom »

The following users thanked this post: jjshortcut

Offline BmaxTom

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 07:34:59 am »
The thermocouple sensor not only measures the temperature of the IC, the sensor it is also influenced by the ambient temperature.

And how accurate are the temperature readings? Today I measured an IC at ~60 deg. c. where my thermocouple only measured ~50 deg. c. Any idea of how this happens?

The following users thanked this post: jjshortcut

Offline jjshortcut

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 08:30:34 am »
Aha, didn't think of that but that makes sense.. I read in the manual the device needs 5-10 minutes to heat up, I guess that might also have influenced my measurements.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

Advertise on the EEVblog Forum