Products > Thermal Imaging

where can I buy a thermal camera that can see the birds at night?

(1/4) > >>

edubz:
I just got a brand new seek compactpro and I took it out at night to see if I could find birds, but everything looks to pixelated to make anything out, basically it seems like thick bushes or vegetation along with the pixelated output from the compactpro makes it impossible to see

I wanted something like this but cant find it , its made by LMIR have you ever heard of the company it looks Chinese. they seem to have all good thermal products these days but I am new to thermal so I dont know

I will send the compact pro back. Someone recommended the HTI 301 but I looked online and saw it was another smart phone adapter but I couldn't find any footage of birds at night with it, and I think its fragile.

if I am going to spend close to $1000 and up I want something with good battery life, and I know I can see the birds and stuff like in the video.

Ultrapurple:
Birds can actually be a challenging target. Generally speaking their excellent insulation (feathers) means that they don't radiate a great deal of heat, so they merge into the background. Multi-spectral camouflage, no less.

I have a number of thermal imagers of varying capabilities and have been surprised just how hard birds can be to see in trees. Leaves can hide them particularly well. The couple of images below were taken with an expensive (>US$3000) high resolution high-end-consumer camera with a good quality, 'fast' (f/1.1) germanium lens, in winter (so there were no leaves for the birds to hide behind). In summer I rarely see birds in trees with my cameras.

Just my $0.10.

Ultrapurple:
Note how, in the second image, the birds have motion blur. That image was taken with a 25Hz thermal camera; you'd want something like a 60Hz frame rate to minimise that effect.

Ultrapurple:
And don't forget that if the video came from the manufacturer, they will have cherry-picked some particularly good footage. Just like manufacturers of cheap telescopes who print Hubble images on the box to make you think that's what you'll see.

Ultrapurple:
First picture: same tree, different winter. This time taken with a high-end science-grade camera.

Second picture: same science-grade camera; see how the birds are screened by leafless branches.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version