Author Topic: why E6 costs 3x more than TG267? (they're basically same camera)  (Read 4208 times)

Offline calelTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: why E6 costs 3x more than TG267? (they're basically same camera)
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 01:09:57 am »
Can you measure your cameras ?
Get an analogue video feed out onto a scope, display a good dozen frames, wave a soldering iron in front while it calibrates, and see how many frozen fields you get.
Argus4 cameras are 14 fields
I'd like to but first I'd have to know what you talking about  :-[ what do you mean by "fields"?

I just timed it every time the cam calibrates it takes about 1.5 seconds (so 1.5 fields if that's what you meant). I dont even need vast temp differences I switched from my hand to the window (it's relatively cold outside) and it calibrated

anyway if memory serves them BST sensors are superior to these crap microbolometers in almost every way

broader temperature range (can switch from an iceberg to a fire without need to recalibrate) and impervious to sunlight (whereas all FLIR cams have microbolometers & will be ruined if you point them too long at the sun right?)

the only advantage of microbolometers is cheaper to make but since I suspect this aint reflected in final cost of product, that's irrelevant

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2020, 12:48:04 am »

I'd like to but first I'd have to know what you talking about  :-[ what do you mean by "fields"?
A field is one scan of the video/screen, the image height plus a bit for timings.
A line is the width.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video#Number_of_frames_per_second
http://martin.hinner.info/vga/pal.html (note this is PAL 50Hz, you are likely to be dealing with NTSC 60Hz)
Best learning is to put some live analogue video on a scope and just examine what you see at various timebase and zoom settings against what you see on screen.

Anyway if memory serves them BST sensors are superior to these crap microbolometers in almost every way
broader temperature range (can switch from an iceberg to a fire without need to recalibrate) and impervious to sunlight (whereas all FLIR cams have microbolometers & will be ruined if you point them too long at the sun right?)

the only advantage of microbolometers is cheaper to make but since I suspect this aint reflected in final cost of product, that's irrelevant

I too like BST's, but the dynamic range tradeoff is just like a microbolometer, and operating a BST is simpler as it cannot measure temperature.  All the fire-use BST cameras had to have an iris (thermal throttle to some).  The BST ceramic was a lot more robust of course but many current microbolometers are now sun safe.

20 years ago a BST core cost around GBP2000 in bulk, so about GBP3000 now, before you bought a lens and the rest of the camera components.  The sensor is much less dominant now as the lower pixel pitch of microbolometers makes the dies cheaper and also reduces lens cost simply by less ingot value of germanium.  BST lenses were simpler though.

Bill

Offline calelTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2020, 03:14:18 pm »

A field is one scan of the video/screen, the image height plus a bit for timings.
A line is the width.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video#Number_of_frames_per_second
http://martin.hinner.info/vga/pal.html (note this is PAL 50Hz, you are likely to be dealing with NTSC 60Hz)
Best learning is to put some live analogue video on a scope and just examine what you see at various timebase and zoom settings against what you see on screen.
ok if you talking about using an oscilloscope (and somehow connecting my cam to...an oscilloscope? how on earth would that work? what exactly would the scope be measuring? the cam's battery's output?) that's way beyond my...scope ^^ still dont understand how this is important either

anyway as I said the calibrating takes about 1.5 seconds which is a long time (IMO)

as for sun-resistance mine is a FLIR E4 dating back to 2013 (I think) would the sun cause permanent damage to such a cam pointed directly at it, or not? (I don't mind temporary effects)

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2020, 09:48:50 pm »
ok if you talking about using an oscilloscope (and somehow connecting my cam to...an oscilloscope? how on earth would that work? what exactly would the scope be measuring? the cam's battery's output?) that's way beyond my...scope ^^ still dont understand how this is important either

anyway as I said the calibrating takes about 1.5 seconds which is a long time (IMO)

Many cameras (including the Exx series and related 'full' FLIR Tau products) have analogue video out.  Lepton ones like the TG267 do not.

You would connect the analogue video out to the scope, use video triggering if the scope has it, and see what you get for various timebase settings (10us and 2ms / div likely the most interesting).
The calibration interval can then be measured by counting how many identical fields there are when the camera calibrates (maybe at 50ms/div) as the waveform of the 'moving hot thing' is still noticeable.

Without analogue video you'd have to see if the camera displaying on another device could give a useable signal or go picking apart the video data stream.

1.5 seconds is indeed a long time, as I said the Argus4 is 14 fields (=14/60 seconds = 233ms )

Bill

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf