Author Topic: Why many thermal cameras cut frequency responding on purpose?  (Read 1076 times)

Offline nazeTopic starter

I remember Flir told me some of it's thermal cameras have filters that block energy out of it's designed range, such as those under 7um or 8um are blocked for LWIR cameras, why do they waste those energy?

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
Re: Why many thermal cameras cut frequency responding on purpose?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 03:43:38 pm »
The sensor substrate is often limited, so is the lens and coating. There is also an atmospheric window. Cameras are band limited for different applications such as optical gas imaging.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 06:05:42 pm »
Unless the sensor is cooled and the optics are suitable, the far infrared spectrum will have low signal to noise making it less useful or useless.

Maybe there are arms control requirements on this aspect of performance like for frame rate and resolution but I am not aware of them.

Offline Max Planck

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 08:34:09 pm »
I remember Flir told me some of it's thermal cameras have filters that block energy out of it's designed range, such as those under 7um or 8um are blocked for LWIR cameras, why do they waste those energy?
There is one single reason. Impact of humidity contained in the air (see its absorption spectrum).

Max

Offline bap2703

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 09:04:39 pm »
Also known as the need to feed distance and humidity to the radiometric model.

Offline cnxunuo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 01:11:28 am »
Most likely a high pass filter coating at 7/8um, is for solar protection, which is state in many many literature and brochures.

Offline Max Planck

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 03:31:13 pm »
Solar filter is a different story related to cooled MWIR cameras.

Max

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 08:00:09 pm »
Filtered LWIR cameras are the sun-safe ones. Ones that do not have a long-pass filter can be damaged by the MWIR from the sun, because MWIR wavelengths pass through germanium lenses (though less then LWIR wavelengths do). The temperature of the surface of the sun is about 5500K, and at this temperature MWIR emissions are a couple orders of magnitude stronger than LWIR emissions (more than enough to not only pass through the germanium lens, but also damage the LWIR sensor).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf