Author Topic: Why some thermal cameras can stand direct sun light while others can't?  (Read 2521 times)

Offline hokiTopic starter

Hello.
I remember most BST and A-Si cameras will suffer damages if point at the sun, but most VOx cameras won't, why?
Some product sheet list that as "built-in solar protection", so is that a kind of protect film in front of the sensor, and not the nature of different sensor technonogy? How does that protect material work?
Thanks.

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
Re: Why some thermal cameras can stand direct sun light while others can't?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 06:32:31 pm »
BST sensors were generally OK, it was a lump of ceramic bonded to a substrate so didn't get that hot.  i suppose you could melt the chopper if you tried hard enough though.

In principle all A-Si are vulnerable as it is a thin wafer of material up in a vacuum, so the sun can get that quite hot and must change pixels  permanently.  Nothing a factory recalibration won't fix though.

All sensors have a number of anti-reflection coatings on both windows and top layers, so together with any tweaks to the material itself done right that must protect A-Si enough to avoid permanent damage.  It is unlikely to be done as an additional film.

All cameras will show some minutes or more of 'burn in' from a very hot object as the sensor and underlying circuitry got hot and need to cool back down.

Someone else can talk for V-Ox, not used enough of them, but on the face of it should not be a lot better than A-Si but may be protected the same way too.  You can burn a VOx camera temporarily with block at 700°C

Bill

Offline tuzakeyiwe

I remember I saw a Raytheon A-Si camera core on both ebay and Youtube, which have a curved line of pixels that do seems to be permanently burnt, not only temporarily shifted.
I also have a blurry memory that the owner said the camera was used as a CCTV camera outdoor, then it was burned by the rasing sun in the morning.
I cannot find the source for now...

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 01:51:46 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf