Products > Vintage Computing

Any info on this old speech chip?

(1/2) > >>

jasonlbarrett:
Hello,
   I have used the General Instruments SP0256A-AL2 and I've learned that there's several variants of it out there like the -012 and -017 but I've come across an SP0256A-053 and I can't find a thing about it anywhere. I guess I could just go through and send signals and see what it says but that sounds like work. If anyone has any info or can lead me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

albert22:
The datasheet is easy to find in google
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/gi/speech/General_Instrument_-_SP0256A-AL2_datasheet_%28Radio_Shack_276-1784%29_-_Apr1984.pdf
This is the same DS that I got more than 20 years ago when I put this chip to work.
Dont expect too much of it it really sucks at speaking.

CJay:
No, it might actually be a different chip, some of the SPO256 chips were programmed with different allophones and even phrases, some were designed for use in speaking clocks for instance.

The 'sucks' is relative, at the time it was designed it was pretty awesome, I built a VIC-20 speech synthesizer with one in, one of my very first ever kit builds and it was amazing, must have been about 13 at the time.

jasonlbarrett:
Yeah, it says "SP0256A-053". I've been playing around with the AL2 version for a little while and I like how it sounds. I'm going to send some juice to it and just see what it says. I can't even find a mention of it.

albert22:
The IC that I used (shown in the photo) is marked as SPO256A-AL2  1981GI. I bought it at Radio Shack and came in a blister with the "Archer" data sheet that I linked.
It should have the same interface and then the allophones could be determined by trial and error.

--- Quote ---The 'sucks' is relative, at the time it was designed it was pretty awesome, I built a VIC-20 speech synthesizer with one in, one of my very first ever kit builds and it was amazing, must have been about 13 at the time.
--- End quote ---

That was more than 20 years ago, may be my memory is failing or I didnt implement it well enough.
I still have the board so I might give a try when time permits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version