Author Topic: Apple 1 is for sale on eBay, i am shy to tell you the price  (Read 4950 times)

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Apple 1 is for sale on eBay, i am shy to tell you the price
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 10:01:00 pm »
Yikes, I mean that's cool, but the asking price seems extremely optimistic by at least an order of magnitude but I guess we'll see.

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 10:28:42 pm »
I recall a story about someone buying an Apple 1 board for heck of a money, then flying to Woz to sign it, then selling it for X times higher price.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 10:29:56 pm »
But can it run Linux?
iratus parum formica

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 10:32:00 pm »
The one I saw was basically housed in an old suitcase and it also had a cassette deck to load programs and an acoustic coupler to "connect to the phone network". I dont remember if it had a case like this one did. It had a keyboard which may have been integrated into the board.(That might have been, it probably was the Apple II - I think the keyboard was separate on the Apple (1) They were selling the bare boards. They had a bunch of cardboward boxes within which were these boards in open antistatic bags. Even then they were way out of my price range. I was basically just a kid.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 10:33:36 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 10:36:16 pm »
But can it run Linux?

No, Linux didnt exist back then. The Apple was an 8 bit computer made with a 6502 microprocessor. It was not very powerful at all. Not even compared to an Arduino.

A modern Raspberry Pi would likely be FAR more powerful than the most powerful computer in the world back then.

Unix was in its infancy and mostly used for telephone stuff as it came out of Bell Labs.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 10:40:03 pm by cdev »

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 10:40:25 pm »
The PCB would make a facinating teardown :wtf:

But ebay? An artefact of this design importance and provenance should be in the sale room of Sotherby's. Maybe next year it will.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 11:13:04 pm »
Sold by Steve Jobs???  It must be a fake replica

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 11:21:09 pm »
The one I saw was basically housed in an old suitcase and it also had a cassette deck to load programs and an acoustic coupler to "connect to the phone network".

That sounds to be in line with Woz saying that Apple 1 was not dedigned to be a computer, it was designed to be a remote terminal to connect to computers located elsewhere.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 11:34:20 pm »
I'm suspicious of the IEC 60320 connector. In the 70's a line cord and (chassis mount) NEMA 5 was all you'd see, which is above it.
Dangerous if the incoming mains is on the IEC, as the prongs would be live. Doesn't make sense, total sacrilege for the asking price.

The PCB provisions for MC6800 are interesting too.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 01:11:23 am »
$1.5 Million and you don't even get free shipping?
!!!  :wtf:

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 01:23:37 am »
Yeah, the seller wants to make an extra buck on shipping  >:D

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 02:18:17 am »
It was designed to be a computerized "blue box". Woz and Jobs were "phone phreaks".

The one I saw was basically housed in an old suitcase and it also had a cassette deck to load programs and an acoustic coupler to "connect to the phone network".

That sounds to be in line with Woz saying that Apple 1 was not dedigned to be a computer, it was designed to be a remote terminal to connect to computers located elsewhere.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 03:34:41 am »
But can it run Linux?

No, Linux didnt exist back then. The Apple was an 8 bit computer made with a 6502 microprocessor. It was not very powerful at all. Not even compared to an Arduino.

A modern Raspberry Pi would likely be FAR more powerful than the most powerful computer in the world back then.

Unix was in its infancy and mostly used for telephone stuff as it came out of Bell Labs.

I'm pretty certain that was a joke.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 04:47:27 am »
Yeah, the seller wants to make an extra buck on shipping  >:D
The listing says no insurance on shipping the item... UPS Supersaver!? $224 :palm:
I mean at this price you'd use a real auction house with security and insurance- pay their commission for a reason, and let them ship it.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 06:12:41 am »
I'm suspicious of the IEC 60320 connector. In the 70's a line cord and (chassis mount) NEMA 5 was all you'd see, which is above it.
Dangerous if the incoming mains is on the IEC, as the prongs would be live. Doesn't make sense, total sacrilege for the asking price.

It should be noted that all the cases you see on Apple I computers are custom jobs, Apple didn't make them.

Anyway this one looks safe enough to me, the power is provided by the IEC socket with pins, the socket above it with holes provides power to the display.   The original IBM XT used the inverted IEC socket to similarly power the monitor, so the IEC socket isn't out of place.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 06:32:02 am »
I mixed up the monitor connector as the male NEMA 5 power connector for some reason.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 06:34:27 am »
Yikes, I mean that's cool, but the asking price seems extremely optimistic by at least an order of magnitude but I guess we'll see.

According to the offer history, this auction has been up since February, so it may be a while...

I don't think the seller actually expects anywhere near $1.5M, but just wanted to set an "anchor" in the potential buyers' minds. Having seen this initial number, maybe someone is stupid enough to offer $500k, thinking they would get a bargain.

Edit: It's been for sale since October 2019, and the $1.5M are already the discounted price:  ::)
https://9to5mac.com/2019/10/25/apple-1-custom-wood-case-1-75m/
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 07:04:18 am by ebastler »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 06:52:41 am »
It should be noted that all the cases you see on Apple I computers are custom jobs, Apple didn't make them.

That's right. But the Byte Shop had a small batch of wooden cases made, to be able to offer complete computers to those customers who did not want to roll their own case. And since the auction's description stresses that this is one of "less than 6 known surviving original Byte Shop KOA wood cases", it would be nice if the case were indeed in its original state.

The monitor power connector and the switch next to it do look like later additions to me, if one compares their style with the mains connector and switch just above. Edit: Here's a video of a different unit in a Byte Shop case. It has the same monitor power connector and a square fuse holder (?) next to it, although it does not have the toggle switch next to the mains jack: https://www.bonhams.com/video/24739/

Adding the holes, screws and washers to secure the transformers may not have been the brightest idea. (Given that it was only done in October 2019, just before the owner decided to sell this "historic artefact".)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 07:09:47 am by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 07:16:25 am »
Frankly, regarding the case, i did much better jobs when i was 13 years old, with a hacksaw, file and hand drill.

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 07:21:51 am »
I don't think the seller actually expects anywhere near $1.5M, but just wanted to set an "anchor" in the potential buyers' minds. Having seen this initial number, maybe someone is stupid enough to offer $500k, thinking they would get a bargain.

Actually, someone did, for another one

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/28/wozniak-built-apple-1-computer-sold-for-almost-500000-at-christies.html

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2020, 11:49:21 pm »
  Seriously, I'd like to see a spread-sheet style GRAPH:
  Price per each week, regarding that one signed machine, having The WOZ ink. Watching good housing up there in the hills rise by 300,000 $ plus, and in only a couple years. But that photo / w a little history... I'd pay it... uh, ...
  Not to divert the eye, but I liked the TV set, in the photo there.  That would be great, in a flat screen version. /// Then I could put it on top my new, $5555555 Apple I ///////

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2020, 12:24:50 am »

Well the fact that the Woz wrote and included a Basic programming language with the board did in fact make it a standalone computer. I meet both Steve's when they were touring the Bay Area showing off their creation to small groups. After talking to them for maybe 5 mins each I figured the Woz as the brains of the outfit and Jobs as a salesman type, using buzz words and slogans already.

It was a very interesting time where mainstream computer companies were very ho hum about the early microprocessors and didn't see a market for them while a zillion small start-ups were flooding the hobbyist and early adopters with offerings. Most of course didn't survive but certainly Apple rode it to  end up being a giant force these days. However I think their cellphones are what made them the force they are today, their computers are too fancy and expensive for my taste.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 12:31:42 am by retrolefty »

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2020, 01:23:47 am »
I agree that for a sale of this relevance and magnitude, this should be better handled by a reputable auction house.

That way, you would have some sort of post sale guarantee, unless it is a Banksy self-shredding painting.

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2020, 01:59:35 am »
Most of course didn't survive but certainly Apple rode it to  end up being a giant force these days. However I think their cellphones are what made them the force they are today,

There was a video from early-2000 I believe I watched recently in which Jobs seemed to have no clue about cell phones. In the video he was promoting iPod stuff and a the Apple home router. And a guy from the audience came to the microphone and said like "I want all that stuff in my cell phone", to which Jobs kind of said "cell phone companies make good cell phones, buy yourself one". The guy said kinda "yes but I am letting you know again I want all that music and everything in my cell phone". Jobs looked rejective and clueless. I wonder if that was the the guy Jobs picked up the idea from of the cell phone that has everything in it.

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2020, 02:27:18 pm »

Anyway this one looks safe enough to me, the power is provided by the IEC socket with pins, the socket above it with holes provides power to the display.

I don't understand all the fuss about the display power connector.
If you are in doubt, just send the whole thing to the 8 bit guy!
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Rasz, Cyberdragon, pizzigri

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2020, 09:59:02 pm »
You want to pay USD$1.5M for a fake?
This listing is ~7 months now, 128 bids rejected. Come on Apple fanboys, buy it
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 10:01:20 pm by floobydust »

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2021, 06:56:46 pm »
I see the eBay auction is still up, almost 1-1/2years asking same $1.5M.  A different Apple-1 just went for $400K at auction.

Offline granzeier

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2021, 08:15:13 pm »
Well, at least he's offering almost free shipping - $1.00 for expedited shipping?  :-//

It really irks me to see people who are this psychotically greedy.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2021, 08:32:43 pm »
Who sells anything of this price on eBay? Cheap and greedy. No insurance, but you pay travel expenses:
"...CC and I are available to deliver this unit at his usual fee and travel expense, and myself at travel expense should the buyer request this. Corey’s original verification videos and pictures are available on request.  This item will not be shipped by the owner as it is too valuable to risk any damage, loss or fraud."

eBay posting is showing "Shipping: $258.53 UPS Worldwide Saver" so you must live next door lol

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2021, 09:28:38 pm »
Yeah, selling stuff like that on eBay is dead stupid.
But I'm pretty sure - assuming the item actually exists, because, uh you know... - that the seller has put it on dozens of different web sites.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf