Author Topic: Apple1 prototype  (Read 4258 times)

Offline woofyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Woofys Place
Apple1 prototype
« on: August 03, 2022, 11:44:28 am »
There's half of an Apple 1 prototype board for auction here:
https://www.rrauction.com/auctions/lot-detail/345735106445006-steve-jobs-39-s-apple-1-computer-prototype/?cat=0
Current bid is over $400k.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Woofys Place
Re: Apple1 prototype
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 11:58:00 am »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 12:02:15 pm »
From time to time such prototypes show up at astounding prices (I recall a couple of threads around here that talk about that).

I never knew if one of these were actually sold for their prices, but surely the hype is enough to take it far out of reach for most people's wallets.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 12:25:03 pm »
Well if things like this https://news.artnet.com/market/maurizio-cattelan-banana-art-basel-miami-beach-1722516 sell for 120000 dollar then why not an old piece of history for so much money.

Personally I find it idiotic but that is me :)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 07:29:48 pm »
Yeah, Apple I prototypes are commonly around $1 million dollars or so.

Provided that they could prove authenticity, why not. I personally would certainly not buy that, but are they worth this price? In some way, absolutely, if you consider how seminal those were and their historical value.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 08:06:52 pm »
I will be curious to see what happens to the value of things like this once everyone who is old enough to have been around in the early PC era has died off. I have some nostalgia for the early Apple stuff and still have a IIe, but I would not want a damaged Apple I board even if it was free.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 09:06:55 pm »
I will be curious to see what happens to the value of things like this once everyone who is old enough to have been around in the early PC era has died off. I have some nostalgia for the early Apple stuff and still have a IIe, but I would not want a damaged Apple I board even if it was free.

Ford Model T vehicles produced from 1909 to 1927 have sold for as much $110,000 in the last five years, according to Classic.com. Over that period of time, Model Ts have sold for an average of $16,093. The lowest during that time sold for $3,300.  Most people from 1909 have died by now.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 10:01:37 pm »
Steve Jobs's original "Apple Computer A" prototype

Steve Job's?  :wtf: This is an insult to Woz's engineering talent.

And why authenticity of the artefact was established with some "expert" 13 page report? They could just ask Woz.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Tom45

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 10:03:47 pm »

And why authenticity of the artefact was established with some "expert" 13 page report? They could just ask Woz.

Yeah. I'd really be wary of anything like that unless it was certified by Woz himself.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 10:04:48 pm »
... it appears to have been hand-soldered by Steve Wozniak, whose unusual 'three handed' technique—wire in one hand, soldering iron in the other, and solder held in his mouth

By all of the lead-free mafia accounts Woz should have been dead by now.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 10:54:21 pm »

Ford Model T vehicles produced from 1909 to 1927 have sold for as much $110,000 in the last five years, according to Classic.com. Over that period of time, Model Ts have sold for an average of $16,093. The lowest during that time sold for $3,300.  Most people from 1909 have died by now.

It would be interesting to see what $110k buys you vs what $16k does. While I recognize the historical significance of the Model T, I personally have no interest in owning one, much like the Apple I they are just too primitive. By the 1940s cars were refined enough to be pretty usable in modern times.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 10:56:15 pm »

Woz was obviously the superior engineer, but I think without Jobs the Apple would have never been more than a footnote in the history of the PC. Woz probably would have sold a few dozen of them to other enthusiasts before getting bored and moving on to other projects. Jobs excelled at being a salesman.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 11:52:44 pm »
There's half of an Apple 1 prototype board for auction here:
https://www.rrauction.com/auctions/lot-detail/345735106445006-steve-jobs-39-s-apple-1-computer-prototype/?cat=0
Current bid is over $400k.

Uh the PC board is broken in two... missing Vregs and most of the IC's. Total garbage auction IMHO.

P.S. the complete Apple I on eBay is still asking $1,500,000 and I think it's been up for a few years now. The guy will not insure shipping it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 11:59:43 pm by floobydust »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 05:58:14 pm »
P.S. the complete Apple I on eBay is still asking $1,500,000 and I think it's been up for a few years now. The guy will not insure shipping it.

I don't blame him. Is anyone going to spend $1.5M on something and then have it shipped UPS? I would expect they'd either fly out and pick it up personally, or arrange for a specialized transport service that handles high value items. I have doubts that it will ever sell for that price but who knows.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 07:12:24 pm »

I don't blame him. Is anyone going to spend $1.5M on something and then have it shipped UPS? I would expect they'd either fly out and pick it up personally, or arrange for a specialized transport service that handles high value items. I have doubts that it will ever sell for that price but who knows.

Yeah, I don't get the point of selling that on eBay anyway. People willing to buy auction items that expensive will not buy them on eBay. There are much more dependable auction services for that kind of items, with all insurances required, qualified experts, appropriate shipping services, etc. You'd be a complete dumbass to buy that off eBay.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 07:20:57 pm »
There is fine art for sale on eBay, but with the way people scam nowadays I'd use a real auction house and pay their fees.

"Images of the prototype show a long crack down the right side of the circuit board and indications of Wozniak's 'three-handed' soldering technique evidenced "in the tight 'bubbles' formed at the soldered connections" according to RR Auction."
What is this three-handed soldering? I use one hand for the iron, other holds the wire and any spare fingers hold the solder. I never get "bubbles" - just burnt fingers :popcorn:

Oldest IC datecode 7618 so around May '76 not sure when the prototype was shown to get the first 50pcs order.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2022, 08:22:11 pm »
Provenance. Unless that PCB has a certificate of authenticity CoA witnessed by Woz or Apple - maybe echoed as a smart contract on the blockchain - it's just another busted PCB from the 1970s (plenty of these pictured on this forum). Without immutable provenance, I would value the incomplete artefact in the $1500-$2000 range. About the same as a fully functional first version CBM Pet or Pacman machine.

A collector has no interest in what it is but, what it will be worth in 10, 20, 50 year's time? Especially if they are a private equity fund investor. The value is the history, the story, the importance, the provenance. And the only expert appraiser is the soldersucking man himself.

Buyer beware.

Online oPossum

• Super Contributor
  • Very dangerous - may attack at any time
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2022, 02:12:58 am »
Hmmm

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2022, 03:54:34 pm »
Perfect match!

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2022, 04:49:58 pm »
Beautiful picture by TubeTime.  :-+
But clearly a fake, since it does not have the legendary orange capacitors.  :P

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2022, 04:54:51 pm »
Hmmm
I have to ask, if that is the missing piece, did the parts stay on the board, or did they end up on that duck billed pcb? That shard would be worth $80K?

• Frequent Contributor
    • Woofys Place
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2022, 05:40:34 pm »
If that's a fake, its well beyond my photo-shopping abilities.
Looks a good match to me.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2022, 07:08:55 pm »
If that's a fake, its well beyond my photo-shopping abilities.
Looks a good match to me.

Of course it's fake. At least it is highly unlikely that Eric Schlaepfer (TubeTime) just happened to come across the broken-off piece on last week's computer swap market... But very nice Photoshop work indeed, and a strategically placed other PCB across the difficult-to-get-right area of the fracture.  ;) 

Edit: Eric's original post is here, https://twitter.com/TubeTimeUS/status/1556804778759684097
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 06:14:44 am by ebastler »

• Frequent Contributor
    • Woofys Place
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2022, 08:41:51 am »
Ah, ok then, I hadn't seen that twitter post (don't use twitter).
Dam good photo editing though.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2022, 12:28:23 am »
Blue Sprague 39D electrolytics having date code back to late 1974 in Apple1  https://rlvintage.tech/5300uf.html
edit: Sprague Electronic Components Catalog 1980
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 12:32:32 am by floobydust »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf