Author Topic: Brand new floppy disks on sale in 2020  (Read 4539 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Brand new floppy disks on sale in 2020
« on: January 20, 2020, 03:37:02 am »
I was at the local supermarket in Lyons, ACT this weekend and noticed they were still selling brand new boxes of 1.44MB BASF/EMTEC floppy disks for AUD$7.75.

The guy at the counter had a chuckle that I got a kick out of it, although I'm assuming the disks are older than he was considering BASF haven't made floppy disks for some 20+ years.

On the shelf above they were also selling blank VHS tapes.

I'm guessing by now they are there more a novelty for the store than an actual serious shelf item. Needless to say, I was tempted to buy a few boxes. ;-)

911174-0

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Brand new floppy disks on sale in 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 03:51:38 am »
Wonder if they found a few cases of them in the back somewhere?

I still use floppy disks for my scope and a few vintage computers, not much else though.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 03:55:44 am »
I'm assuming the disks are older than he was considering BASF haven't made floppy disks for some 20+ years.
Probably they are not that old, just sold under BASF brand but produced by someone else. When BASF sold off floppy production facilities, they still continued to be sold under BASF brand.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 03:58:41 am by wraper »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 03:57:38 am »
I'm assuming the disks are older than he was considering BASF haven't made floppy disks for some 20+ years.
Probably they are not that old, just sold under BASF brand but produced by someone else.

As far as I know, Verbatim and Sony were the only ones actually manufacturing new floppy disks until recently (apart from maybe a few select no-name Chinese companies). BASF sold their magnetic disk business to Turkish company RAKS in the late 1990's.

I might buy a few boxes and see if there are any indications of a date, however I suspect they are new-old stock.

The guy at the store said they had been there that long, they have been deleted from the POS system (presumably whenever they last updated it). I'm guessing they just run it through as a manual item now.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 04:01:59 am by Halcyon »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 04:01:57 am »
Sony were the only ones actually manufacturing new floppy disks until recently
Sony is out of that business since 1998. BASF sold magnetic division to RAKS Holdings A.S. in 1996.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 04:05:22 am by Halcyon »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 04:05:30 am »
Sony were the only ones actually manufacturing new floppy disks until recently
Sony is out of that business since 1998. BASF sold magnetic division to RAKS Holdings A.S. in 1996.

Sony were still making new disks well into the 2000's. Some reports suggest up to late 2009, even as late as 2011.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 04:15:01 am »
If you will be again in that store, I suggest looking for any date code or actual manufacturer name.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 03:16:44 pm »
I'm guessing by now they are there more a novelty for the store than an actual serious shelf item.

Looking at the surrounding shelves, it seems floppies are considered a snack these days...  :popcorn:

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 04:04:33 pm »
Looks like they are below the prevailing ebay price.... be brave... buy the lot!  :)

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 07:41:34 pm »
Looks like they are below the prevailing ebay price.... be brave... buy the lot!  :)

I think there is a good reason why so many remain on the shelf ;-)

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 07:57:23 pm »

Coward  ;)

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 08:56:25 pm »

Early BASF floppies had a mixed reputation in Germany even when new. The popular quip was that the company name was an acronym for the unique feature of these floppies, the "Byte-Abweisende Schutz-Folie" -- "byte-repellent protective film".  ;)

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, tooki, I wanted a rude username

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 09:50:00 pm »
Hold on to your hats, with the popularity of retro computers they will make a fortune out of it !
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline austfox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 05:56:36 am »
What brand were the VHS tapes, and at what price?

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 09:58:21 am »
Early BASF floppies had a mixed reputation in Germany even when new. The popular quip was that the company name was an acronym for the unique feature of these floppies, the "Byte-Abweisende Schutz-Folie" -- "byte-repellent protective film".  ;)

Brilliant! :-DD

What brand were the VHS tapes, and at what price?

They were AUD$4.49 each for an E180 tape. I can't recall the brand but I think they were possibly Maxell.

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2020, 08:08:21 pm »
A shame they don't have 8 incher's or 5 1/4 hard sectored.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2020, 06:03:43 pm »
A Local internet store of surplus electronics (BGMicro) had several boxes of floppies unlabeled but the sleeve said they were Compaq. I bought a few units and found out they were 2S-DD after finding out they could only be reliably formatted with oldes OSes, as the " /4" option did not work on XP and newer.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2020, 10:25:56 pm »
I have several wrapped NOS boxes of BASF 5.25" floppies... Now I might toss them.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2020, 10:39:01 pm »
might be of interest to some of you..

iratus parum formica

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2020, 10:16:55 am »
I have several wrapped NOS boxes of BASF 5.25" floppies... Now I might toss them.

Can you toss them in my direction?

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2020, 11:18:52 pm »

Can you toss them in my direction?

PM me your address.
I can send you two unwrapped boxes but the disks look new in one of them.
My hoarding OCD forces me to hang on to the shrink-wrapped ones. One box says IBM formatted.
What kind of vintage system are you using?
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2020, 12:01:11 am »
I hate to do this to Halcyon, but if that "reversible" box contains its original disks, they are a bit rare and collectable.  They will be factory punched with two write protect notches and two index "access windows" so that they can be inserted into a single sided floppy drive in either orientation.  Nicknamed "flippies" they were only manufactured for a year or so.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2020, 01:17:46 am »
Damn, sir or madam, you know your floppies! That is indeed what they are. But that's OK, my floppy weirdness knows no bounds.

https://youtu.be/-pXLLb2alI4?list=PLfABUWdDse7ZrFxNtQapQXYRRxto4C9ZH&t=297

I really can't use all these disks. They're more like trophies at this point.

Offline daveyk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2020, 09:03:15 pm »
"BASF haven't made floppy disks for some 20+ years."

My understanding is that 3.5" floppies were last produced in 2012.  I don't know what brand, but a few years ago, I bought a bunch of boxes (from Staples of all places still had them).  There is an industrial instrument that I repair and calibrate.  Its primary method of allowing me to get a test data calibration table file off its hard drive is via a 3.5" floppy.  Also setup files. other than from the hard drive, can only be load from floppy.  The bad thing is because of some special software you can only put one setup file per disk.  It's not space, but when you save a setup, two files are saved.  Only one had a unique name, the other file is a common name (used by all setup files) and that files contains most of the unique setup parameter.  The name file is only for the directory display.  Stupid instrument software.  So, that's not a problem keeping 20 floppies for 20 setups, the big problem is keeping 20 floppies that can be read by the instrument (never an issue) and read by a USB-Floppy drive.  Those "newer" USB-FLOPPY drives are very picky to which floppies they work with.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2020, 04:23:34 pm »
A thought I just had - isn't there still maybe a (very) small market for floppy disks outside of vintage computer afficionados?

I think many older CNC machines used floppy disks to transfer machining code, and I guess some of these machines must still be used today.

Offline guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2020, 04:34:25 pm »
['']
There is an industrial instrument that I repair and calibrate.  Its primary method of allowing me to get a test data calibration table file off its hard drive is via a 3.5" floppy.
[..]
  Floppy drives almost universally (*) used the Shugart bus, so it ought to be possible to replace the hardware for which one can't find the media anymore with some emulator.  Ah, google finds such floppy emulators starting at $16.

*) all IBM PC clones, good share of CP/M machines (including the Amstrad CPC home computers), but not Apple or Commodore home computers.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2020, 07:10:26 pm »
I think many older CNC machines used floppy disks to transfer machining code, and I guess some of these machines must still be used today.

I thought older CNC machines used punched paper tape?  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf