Author Topic: Connecting a pair of Dialup Modems  (Read 13526 times)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Connecting a pair of Dialup Modems
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2018, 10:31:37 am »
On POTS caller ID is there in the central office frame for billing purposes, but sending it to the customer side is a simple bit flip in the configuration for the port in the card in the frame. Was generally here turned off unless you paid for the service, but the cellular providers turn it on for prepaid so that they get return calls off the prepaid service, otherwise no calls unless you leave a voice message, and most owners on prepaid will not call back to unknown numbers, or reply at all to no number calls. postpaid (contract) numbers they charge a fee as part of the monthly subscription cost, which is just a money making thing for them, the $1 per bill is just extra profit off the business customer, who in any case is paying off the inflated handset price anyway over a 24 or 36 month period. They just get some sop of free minutes, a small data bundle or a certain number of SMS sendings, that is almost always going to be used anyway. No operator these days here offer unlimited calls or data, though there are some grandfathered plans where you get actual value if you have a massive call volume or data use, but they do not offer that to those who can use it.

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2018, 10:58:15 am »
I’m pretty sure it’s the charging extra part that he’s calling stupid.

Yes, sorry for not being clear. It was abandoned because it was actually more costly for the telcos to not provide the service (the caller's number is transmitted by default and they had to block it for everyone not paying for it).
Thats bad marketing, they should have said " Sick of lossing a limb running accross a mine field to get home to your phone only to realize its a tele arms marketer? Well no more because: FREE CALLER ID AT SLOVAKTEL !!! A VALUE WORTH TWO LANDMINES OR 1 WEEK OF RATIONS!!! YOURS FREE!!! It doesn't cost an arm and your wooden leg. So cheap even a Chek could afford it! Nikoli chochesko and slobodon milosevich approved!!! Call now!!

Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2018, 11:06:37 am »
FREE CALLER ID AT SLOVAKTEL !!! A VALUE WORTH TWO LANDMINES OR 1 WEEK OF RATIONS!!! YOURS FREE!!! It doesn't cost an arm and your wooden leg. So cheap even a Chek could afford it! Nikoli chochesko and slobodon milosevich approved!!! Call now!!

Mixing up four Eastern European countries in just a two-line post is quite a feat...  :P

The following users thanked this post: janoc

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2018, 12:54:57 pm »
FREE CALLER ID AT SLOVAKTEL !!! A VALUE WORTH TWO LANDMINES OR 1 WEEK OF RATIONS!!! YOURS FREE!!! It doesn't cost an arm and your wooden leg. So cheap even a Chek could afford it! Nikoli chochesko and slobodon milosevich approved!!! Call now!!

Mixing up four Eastern European countries in just a two-line post is quite a feat...  :P

I can't keep up, weren't they all one country at one time? That was my joke now they are like 7 or 8 defacto countries because no one could get along. Most creative but pure evil thing I saw was a hand grenade placed in a glass jar with the spoon resting on the glass, placed on a door knob, so you open it the glass breaks and you are a victim of a forgotten war. That's almost impossible to clean up.

BTW did he get them working? We used to play doom two like this we had two phone lines in my house and two computers so all my friends would come over and just using doom you could dial out and back into to the next room. Deathmatching it was called. We were spoiled but didn't realize it. 
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2018, 01:09:53 pm »
I can't keep up, weren't they all one country at one time?

Well, the last time that this was one country was perhaps under Franz Joseph in the Austro-Hungarian empire before the WWI.

Czechoslovakia has split in 1993, Milosevic is Serbian ( FYI that's down south in Balkans, almost 1000km from Prague, former Yugoslavia) and Ceausescu ruled Romania which is (and was) a totally different country, some 600km farther east from Serbia, bordering the Black Sea ... You need to up your geography game, methinks.

That was my joke now they are like 7 or 8 defacto countries because no one could get along.

Sorry but your joke is neither funny nor correct. Only shows your ignorance. Czechoslovakia had never had anything in common (not even border) with the former Yugoslavia countries - for your information, there is still Austria and Hungary between the two regions - and about 500km straight line distance.

And many of these "defacto" countries are both EU and NATO members.

One would think that 20+ years after the events (both the fall of communism, split of Czechoslovakia and the bloody Balkan wars) people would at least know where those places are on the map. Especially given that the US (and NATO allies) has bombed Milosevic's regime in the past.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 01:19:19 pm by janoc »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2018, 01:36:35 pm »
Thanks for the great summary, Janoc. Just one additional comment: The split into Slovakia and the Czech Republic was a peaceful one; no bombs or such involved at all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissolution_of_Czechoslovakia

And now, back to modems?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 01:38:08 pm by ebastler »

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2018, 10:16:19 am »
Thanks for the great summary, Janoc. Just one additional comment: The split into Slovakia and the Czech Republic was a peaceful one; no bombs or such involved at all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissolution_of_Czechoslovakia

Yes, fortunately. People weren't happy about it (not counting the nationalists on either side) but we have managed to do it in a civilized manner. On the other hand, the nationalist fervor or the historical baggage we had between ourselves (I am Slovak) was nowhere near as bad as in the Balkans.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2018, 04:41:52 am »
coming back to original topic, stumbled today onto this quite funny video

Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf