Products > Vintage Computing

Dead Dell Latitude e5430 ?

(1/2) > >>

slbender:
Hi all,

Any known failure modes in this Dell Latitude e5430 a somewhat older laptop?

Location of service manual or a discussion on prior problems in this 54xx series would be helpful.

Thanks,

Steven

ebastler:
This site has a 60-page PDF which supposedly contains the schematics of the E5430. Within the document, the computer is called Compal LA-7901P -- which may (or may not) be the OEM platform DELL used: https://www.s-manuals.com/notebook/dell_latitude_e5430

Edit: And this site has multiple step-by-step guides for replacing various components. Should be helpful for general disassembly hints: https://www.parts-people.com/blog/category/dell-latitude-repair-manuals/latitude-e5430/

I assume you have an E5430 and have a problem with it? If so, I am rather baffled by your approach: "Forum members, please educate me about everything that might be wrong with my computer." Why don't you tell us about the symptoms first?

ebastler:
It seems to be a common problem of the E5430 that it is not starting. (And it was already common when the laptop was relatively new, so there might be a design flaw involved.) See the multiple reports e.g. here:
https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Please-help-latitude-e5430-won-t-turn-on-and-black-screen/td-p/4547830

The method described in the first reply in that thread seems to have worked for several users, according to feedback on other web pages and Youtube videos, although it is not getting a lot of love in the linked thread: Remove AC power and battery, press and hold the power button for 15 or 30 seconds. Worth a try, I think, since the effort is limited.

slbender:

--- Quote from: ebastler on May 26, 2022, 05:29:42 pm ---
I assume you have an E5430 and have a problem with it? If so, I am rather baffled by your approach: "Forum members, please educate me about everything that might be wrong with my computer." Why don't you tell us about the symptoms first?

--- End quote ---

Actually, I have three (3) of the same model Dell Latitude e5430 laptops, that I got on evil-bay last year.  The first two sets powered up fine, and I installed an SSD, new extended power battery, and installed Windows 10 properly, but e5430 #3 was simply dead - no leds, no fan, no screen, no reaction to the power supply, or power switch just - dead, dead, dead.  So that’s the story.

Maybe it’s the power input jack that is bad, I’ve heard of that type of failure, and seen similar problems on some cheaper no-name and named tablets over the years.  Since I was hoping that the other two e5430’s don’t die at some point, I was seeking to know if any “known failure modes”, have turned up, like the power input jack, or a particular 3.3 volt regulator that might tend to fail, or something else that has appeared again and again, in the Latitude e5xxx sets making them “dead”.

Steven

themadhippy:
Didnt dell use a sneaky power connector that wouldn't charge unless it was a genuine dell power supply

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version