Author Topic: Do you have US$2,500.00 to spare? HP9830A  (Read 1011 times)

Offline rsjsouzaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Do you have US$2,500.00 to spare? HP9830A
« on: April 14, 2021, 07:48:28 pm »
No relation to the seller, but this showed up in the local sales website.

If the photograph is true, it looks quite well maintained.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/sys/d/keller-historic-antique-1st-desk-top/7297667141.html

I would love to have it, but unfortunately I still didn't win the lottery (nor a Keysight giveaway prize)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Do you have US$2,500.00 to spare? HP9830A
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 02:38:09 am »
There's a bunch of post recently dredging up old "computer" memories. This one made me Google to find the first thing I ever programmed on, which was, I think, an HP calculator similar to the attached picture. My high school in Illinois had it in 1977. It had a pen plotter attached, and you could write programs to draw pictures. You saved programs on magnetic cards. I still remember the commands to move the pen up and down: FORMAT 1 UP and FORMAT 1 DOWN. 44 years ago, but I think that's correct.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
Re: Do you have US$2,500.00 to spare? HP9830A
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 03:12:09 am »
I used these when they were new, and while I have fond memories of the times I have no interest in owning one today.  The successor models with a full CRT graphics occasionally make my spending finger twitch, but I usually wake up pretty quickly when I compare the capability of that system with the fairly vanilla laptop I am typing this on.

The only thing the laptop doesn't do is generate the cool whirring sound of the tape as it searched back and forth for the record block it needed and then settled down to getting the data.  And I am sure that if I really wanted that I could find an mp3 somewhere.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf