Author Topic: Does anyone make a new terminal?  (Read 3216 times)

Offline sanmanTopic starter

• Contributor
Does anyone make a new terminal?
« on: July 06, 2021, 12:05:59 am »
I want to buy an old RS-232 terminal to use with some retro computer builds. Most of the stuff on eBay is great/vintage, but old and expensive.

Does anyone make a modern, hacker-type, terminal? Something with a modern screen, keyboard, and RS-232 port?

I realize that I might just re-purpose an old laptop, but was thinking something more retro-looking.

Thanks!

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
Re: Does anyone make a new terminal?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 12:21:40 am »
I assume you would need an RS-232 converter of some sort, and any old monitor.

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 12:26:51 am »
The main bit is a axel  ax3000/M80,dirt cheap on ebay, skip to 5 minutes for build details

« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 12:31:02 am by themadhippy »

The following users thanked this post: sanman

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 12:51:06 am »
Another approach is to get a board like this: https://geoffg.net/terminal.html  - also read about the firmware updates and alternative versions linked in the article. I don't have one but have considered getting one - it looks impressive to me.
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

The following users thanked this post: sanman, edavid

Offline fordem

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 01:48:46 am »
A new one, probably not, I haven't seen a serial terminal in probably twenty years, they were replaced by "thin clients", essentially an SBC running a terminal emulator.

Wyse was one of the better known brands of terminals, they are still around, but as a subsidiary of Dell.

Offline cruff

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 03:15:48 am »
You might be able to find some VT510 series terminals that were made more recently by Boundless, although they haven't been manufactured for some years. Here is one link that appears to have a "refurbished" one for $600, possibly without the base (like mine that just broke off when I went to look at it).

https://www.mountaintopprinters.com/digital-vt510-terminal-p-370.html

Here's another that might be cheaper. http://www.jet-starinc.com/vt510.html
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 03:17:26 am by cruff »

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 03:56:23 am »
If you are willing to accept a flat screen face instead of the smooth curve of a CRT all you need is a display, standard keyboard, a Raspberry and some carpentry.  The early generation hobby terminals were literally made in garages.  The style seemed to be driven by the fabrication skills of the vendor.  One had sheet metal skills so bent up some aluminum.  Another was a woodworker and went that way.  And the third guy had a vacuum forming oven.

If you are looking for something more professional looking like a VT-100 or Heathkit you are probably best off trying to siphon something off of one the electronics recyclers.

Offline Phil_G

• Regular Contributor
  • G4PHL
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 09:09:25 am »
Another vote for the Geoff Graham terminal, I've used it several times and its really nice, it does VGA or composite video and includes the PS2 keyboard interface.
I also use a Tandy100 which is handy, and a netbook I bought second-hand especially to act as a terminal.  The big advantage of a netbook is sending and receiving files, plus it folds up small.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 05:40:34 pm »
If you're looking for a good retro terminal, the DEC VT320 is a good example IMHO. It's like sex on a stick. And I love those amber displays.
They can be found for around $200 to $300 on average. That's not cheap, but oh my.

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 05:57:02 pm »
old >=586 laptop + Linux + minicom
old >=486 laptop  + DOS + procom
old >=386 laptop  + Minix-v2 + picocom
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline Just4Fun

• Contributor
  • It´s not my fault!
    • Projects site (on Hackaday)
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 03:29:36 pm »
I want to buy an old RS-232 terminal to use with some retro computer builds. Most of the stuff on eBay is great/vintage, but old and expensive.

May be something like this if DIY is ok for you...

All the details here: https://hackaday.io/project/176716-uterm-s

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 01:57:41 am »
If you have an old computer with CVBS video output, and get an old CVBS monitor, you might be able to easily hack together a terminal program to simulate a terminal and have a somewhat retro look.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 05:58:54 pm »
The usual solution is any personal computer with an RS-232 port running terminal software.  An old laptop even running DOS would be good.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2021, 06:07:13 pm »
And that said, if you want to make something looking vintage with new stuff, you could (as some have done) just use a RPi, a mechanical keyboard, a USB-RS232 adapter, and whatever monitor looks vintage to you (if that matters.) Of course you may need some HDMI-to-whatever interface this old monitor has. You could even mount the RPi and additional adapters inside of the monitor case, and just add a plug for the keyboard, to make that look definitely like a vintage terminal. Software-wise, you'll just need a terminal emulator - I think there are tens or hundreds of them on Linux.

Actually, if the monitor's resolution is modest (as was usually the case in those vintage terminals) and monochrome only, you could even use a microcontroller instead of a RPi, and have it generate the video signal.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2021, 06:37:01 pm »
The RPis have a composite video output, quite a few monochrome terminals back in the day used composite between the terminal section and the display.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2021, 06:46:08 pm »
The RPis have a composite video output, quite a few monochrome terminals back in the day used composite between the terminal section and the display.

Ah, I thought only the old RPis had composite video output, but apparently they have kept this feature, even on the RPi4. It goes out to the 3.5mm jack thogh? Not sure I like that a lot, but oh well. You can do it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf