Products > Vintage Computing

Dust Cover Rejuvenation

(1/4) > >>

DrG:
Bit of an odd question....

I have some old TRS-80 dust covers (see below). Is their there a "best" way to rejuvenate them? I did some searching, but found only information on stereo dust covers (which are hard plastic).

These are soft and, while probably not as soft as when they were manufactured, are not brittle. I can unravel them from there their "stuffed in a box for 40 years form (as in the second picture)".

My inclination is simply warm soapy water and towel dry or maybe even a steaming. Like I said, bit of an odd question, but I thought I would ask.

james_s:
They look like vinyl to me, or are they fabric?

DrG:

--- Quote from: james_s on December 05, 2021, 07:08:38 pm ---They look like vinyl to me, or are they fabric?

--- End quote ---

Not fabric, allthough you can see that they are sewn. Some kind of plastic - vinyl sounds good to me, but how would I know? https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=987

Here is a picture (from nightfallcrew) that looks like how I remember them when new.

james_s:
It's almost certainly vinyl. It has a fairly distinctive smell but it's difficult to describe a smell.

DrG:

--- Quote from: james_s on December 05, 2021, 07:50:20 pm ---It's almost certainly vinyl. It has a fairly distinctive smell but it's difficult to describe a smell.

--- End quote ---

I think the smell of 40 years of storage has overshadow[ed] all others. I looked in some old RS catalogs and while listed, there is nada about composition. Assuming it is vinyl, what is the Rx?

I have taken one cassette cover and washed it thoroughly in warm soapy water. Afterwards, I used a healthy amount of Fantastic cleaner and washed it again. When dry, I will take a few drops of mineral oil on a paper towel and rub it into the surface.  Will post another pic in a bit.

Sound reasonable?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version