Author Topic: What to do with an old CRT monitor?  (Read 16940 times)

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
Re: What to do with an old CRT monitor?
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 11:58:53 am »
I know a small electronics company whose CEO still used a CRT monitor up until recently. An insider told me about his CEO...

Once his beloved CRT blew, he bought a second hand low res flat monitor about 2 generations old.
His office's main printer is 7 years old inkjet that is near end of life and hundred of hours are wasted trying to fix it or waiting time for it to print.
One of the company's monitors has been on loan by an employees for almost 4 years because he is too tight to provide one.
He turns off the microwave oven in the kitchenette which saves about 5 cents on the digital clock power each year.
He buys his the cheapest multi-meters on eBay and uses soldering irons that hobbyists would even laugh at.
His employees have to bring in test equipment because he is too tight to buy the tools.
The company's main laptop is one borrowed from an employee.
His oscilloscope has a diskette drive in it.
One of his employees asked for an SSD to speed up his old computer after explaining it would save $1600 per year in boot-up waiting time. Apparently he told him, he cannot afford the $80.

So what to do with an old CRT monitor? Offer it to tight-arse CEO's of small companies.

Offline BrumbyTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 12:45:52 pm »
Give me an address!

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2016, 12:28:10 am »
 Just got worse for my pile of junk. The recycling place takes the electronics and so forth for free, but CRT monitors, smaller ones like mine, are $10 each for them to take.   :palm:

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2016, 01:40:21 am »
Just got worse for my pile of junk. The recycling place takes the electronics and so forth for free, but CRT monitors, smaller ones like mine, are $10 each for them to take.   :palm:

For the parts they won't take, smash it up into small enough pieces to toss in the trash.  Sounds like a job for the Widlar-izer!

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2016, 01:44:11 am »
The charge is $35 here. On the other hand, you could leave it behind a building at a local college and it would be their problem... not that I'm recommending that...

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2016, 01:50:55 am »
In the US, Staples will recycle CRT monitors for free.

Goodwill will also take them in some places, but call first.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2016, 03:08:52 am »
There is the (probably apocryphal) story of the bloke who left his perfectly good but no longer needed appliance outside his house with a sign on it saying "perfect working order, free to a good home", but it remained there for days.  He changed the sign to "For sale, £50", and it was nicked within an hour!  :-+

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2016, 03:12:46 am »
A very true story (as it happened to me) is that I had repaired our old washing machine after the Missus insisted we buy a new one.  It was only about ten years old.  I put it up on Freecycle and in Gumtree freebies, not a single person got in touch.  I then put it on eBay with a starting price of £2.90 (the cost of a pint of Guinness in my local), and it sold for........ £35!

Couldn't give it away, but got thirty five quid for it!  What is the world coming to?  :scared:

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2016, 04:17:40 am »
People don't make rational purchase decisions (or, at least, the decisions they make aren't rational in a simple economic model). There is a whole discipline of price selection that tries to exploit this.

Offline BrumbyTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2016, 05:07:55 am »
Couldn't give it away, but got thirty five quid for it!  What is the world coming to?  :scared:

Have you heard the story of the greengrocer selling apples for $1.99/kg and $2.99/kg ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf