Products > Vintage Computing

FORTRAN coding form

<< < (3/3)

DrG:
I always thought the slashed 0 [zero] was to clearly differentiate it from O and was completely unaware of the slashed O before reading in this thread (at least as far as I remember).

But, yep...

--- Quote ---Slashed 'O'
Apollo 11 video display terminal with a slashed O

IBM (and a few other early mainframe makers) used a convention in which the letter O had a slash and the digit 0 did not.[9] This is even more problematic for Danes, Faroese, and Norwegians because it means two of their letters—the O and slashed O (Ø)—are visually similar.

This was later flipped and most mainframe chain or band printers used the opposite convention (letter O printed as is, and digit zero printed with a slash Ø). This was the de facto standard from 1970s to 1990s. However current use of network laser printers that use PC style fonts caused the demise of the slashed zero in most companies - only a few configured laser printers to use Ø.

--- End quote ---

(from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashed_zero)

The OP's sheets have a Form number, which I looked up but could not find.  Could they have been from IBM [which from the first post is exactly what it sounds like]? Even if not, it seems like this feature dates them which is cool.

rstofer:
Folks, I have a new project! 

It would be nice to have pristine copies of the Fortran Programming Form.  How about I use my LaserJet 'plotter' on my fPGA IBM1130 and a bunch of FORTRAN code to recreate a master.  Plotting on the 1130 was always a low level chore and this will be no exception.

ETA:

It would be a lot easier in Excel...

Bassman59:
To design a user interface that got implemented in a 128 x 64 graphic LCD I created a spreadsheet that looks pretty much like that screen-design form!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version