Poll

Should the EEVblog forum have a dedicated "Vintage Computing" section?

Yes
21 (72.4%)
No
8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Forum Topic Suggestion: Dedicated "Vintage Computing" section  (Read 12008 times)

Offline djos

• Supporter
Re: Forum Topic Suggestion: Dedicated "Vintage Computing" section
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 06:18:13 am »
My "Tandy 1000 ex/hx PLUS Expansion to 8-Bit ISA Riser card project" topic is prolly better suited to the Vintage Computing section too.  8)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 06:52:46 am »
Approx 20 years plus is vintage (in case anyone is confused).

Ahh, I didn't realize that you are owning the official definition.  ;)

I have seen various different definitons applied, e.g. by the organizers of vintage computing festivals. I like the criteria most European vintage computer organizations seem to have gravitated towards: "Older than XX years and interesting, which typically excludes Windows PCs", or something alsong those lines.

Of course these criteria are not absolute, and Windows machines can be quite interesting, e.g. if they have a unique form factor. And you can probably find some machines/devices which are quite a bit younger than 20 years, and are nevertheless of interest to (some) vintage computing enthusiasts -- either if they were groundbreaking innovations, or quirky dead ends of the technology roadmap.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 08:06:09 am »
... with cars a common definition for vintage is pre 1930. I don't see what is wrong with that standard being applied here at least for semantic convenience.

Define "vintage computers" as pre-1930, you mean? Hmm, let me think... There might be one tiny little weakness in that suggestion, but I can't put my finger on it...  :P

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
Woudnt have to do much with electronics then, if anything :D 
Id say starting with 1990 and back should be considered vintage. I certanly would consider my L40SX to be vintage...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2017, 08:17:49 am »
Why not "Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff" since it is about a project and not a vintage computer in its unmodified state as it was once before it was vintage? In any case with cars a common definition for vintage is pre 1930. I don't see what is wrong with that standard being applied here at least for semantic convenience.

Any computer made after 1980 should be defined as a modern classic and after 1990 post-modern classic and after 2000 as old.

So can we ask Dave for three more categories to avoid any miscategorisation.

BTW 1930 - 1979 can be categorised as interesting.

Well as an active member of a real life Commodore & Amiga user group, I'd suggest most of my fellow "retro" computer enthusiasts would strongly disagree with your categorisation of our beloved 70's-90's (very early) computers as not "vintage".

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2017, 10:01:17 am »
Ok, done, with some topics moved to seed it. Will see how it goes.

Cheers Dave!

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2017, 10:14:12 am »
Well as an active member of a real life Commodore & Amiga user group, I'd suggest most of my fellow "retro" computer enthusiasts would strongly disagree with your categorisation of our beloved 70's-90's (very early) computers as not "vintage".
But you would agree the Amiga is a modern classic?  :)

Anyway my post was a dig at the inevitable debate that will pop up from time to time about what's in and what's out when there is no rigid guide. Not that I think a rigid guide is needed. My point was that "classic computing" would have worked just as well.

If I have any reticence at all it is that category creep inevitably leads to increased confusion about the best category and for those so inclined to category nazis.

Well if you want to get technical, the computers most of us collect and play with from the 70's-90's (early) should be classed as "Vintage Personal Computers" as that 17 year period between 1975 and 1992 was really the dawn of Personal computing.  8)

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 11:05:06 am »
If they do add this, it would be a god idea to add a trusted "moderator-at-large" for a week or so, that would volunteer to look around on the forum boards and move existing vintage computer threads to the new board so they'll be in one place. After they get done they can be removed from moderator status.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 11:11:23 am »
If they do add this, it would be a god idea to add a trusted "moderator-at-large" for a week or so, that would volunteer to look around on the forum boards and move existing vintage computer threads to the new board so they'll be in one place. After they get done they can be removed from moderator status.

Probably not a bad idea. Smells like a job for gnif ;-)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 11:23:32 am »

And you are volunteering? Thanks mate!!

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2017, 11:29:50 am »
Well if you want to get technical, the computers most of us collect and play with from the 70's-90's (early) should be classed as "Vintage Personal Computers" as that 17 year period between 1975 and 1992 was really the dawn of Personal computing.  8)

It'll have to do since there weren't many computers made pre 1930 to fit the vintage definition the car nuts use.
But I must strongly  ;) take exception to the use of the term personal computing as I find in needlessly restrictive. Vintage computing should embrace non-personal computing too.  :)

In that vein I have recently been taking an interest in CSIRAC which was regarded as Australia's first computer and in some accounts the 4th computer in the world. Admittedly a rich and fertile ground upon which to mount a debate. Here are some links for the interested.
http://www.cis.unimelb.edu.au/about/csirac/
http://www.cis.unimelb.edu.au/about/csirac/the-last-of-the-first-csirac-ebook.pdf

Now vintage mainframe computers, there's a fascinating subject.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2017, 11:47:54 am »
Indeed.

Is this board going to tolerate discussion about getting emulator software working so you can run old mainframe operating systems and software? DEC PDP 10 anyone?
What about IBM 370 or VAX VMS? What about FPGA emulations?

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 12:03:50 pm »
Indeed.

Is this board going to tolerate discussion about getting emulator software working so you can run old mainframe operating systems and software? DEC PDP 10 anyone?
What about IBM 370 or VAX VMS? What about FPGA emulations?

Hell yes! Bring it on wilfred!

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2017, 12:34:03 pm »

And you are volunteering? Thanks mate!!

Sure. I put my money where my mouth is.

Thanks mate!!
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2017, 03:38:25 pm »
Let me take you on a time warp to the 80s, vintage was referred even back then as 20 plus years old.

Sorry if you didn't speak english, hadn't heard of the internet, weren't talking to people all over the world, weren't born or were told otherwise from someone who had no idea.

Two decades is a long time there has been 6 versions of Windows for consumers to use in the last 20 years. Back in the 80s people expected most things to last well over 10 years before replacing, but 20 years old, man that was vintage.

Case closed.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2017, 03:50:55 pm »
[...]
Case closed.

Attitude problem?  ???
Time to go to bed?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2017, 05:52:35 pm »
[...]
Case closed.

Attitude problem?  ???
Time to go to bed?

What are you trying to do, provoke me? I'm not even talking to you dude LOL.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf