Author Topic: Gigabyte Dual Pentium Pro  (Read 328 times)

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
    • DextersLab2013
Gigabyte Dual Pentium Pro
« on: March 24, 2020, 09:37:58 am »
I picked up this motherboard the other day on a whim, it just called out to me so had to have it... not sure what i am to do with it yet :-//

Board is a Gigabyte GA-686DX, the PPros are 200Mhz / 256kb cache versions overclocked to 233Mhz. The board is really nice, it's standard ATX and not the older AT or some other weird form factor like a lot of PPro boards were.

it is gorgeous though, it's a shame i have to cover up those CPUs with heatsinks!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:39:53 am by dexters_lab »
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
https://www.youtube.com/user/DextersLab2013
http://dexterslab2013.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
Re: Gigabyte Dual Pentium Pro
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 03:12:27 pm »
Wow, Gigabyte GA686DX seems to be hilariously late socket8 mobo. Early/mid 1998 and SIMMs, couple of months window before single Pentium 2 450MHz on off the shelf motherboard was faster, cheaper and less troublesome.

it's a shame i have to cover up those CPUs with heatsinks!!

why would you do that? the best you can do with a pair of PPros is hanging them on a wall anyway 8)
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 04:55:07 pm »
Wow, Gigabyte GA686DX seems to be hilariously late socket8 mobo. Early/mid 1998 and SIMMs, couple of months window before single Pentium 2 450MHz on off the shelf motherboard was faster, cheaper and less troublesome.
The rollover from generation to generation of CPU was more gradual in the 1990s. People didn't queue up to get the latest CPU on its release day, and immediately abandon the previous ones.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • If you can buy it for 4$ on eBay, why design it?*
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 03:37:07 pm »
That brings back memories , I had a single PPro computer back in the day. I don't even know why I bought the thing, probably because it looked cool.
*Except AC/DC adapters on eBay. Avoid them all!

Online Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 01:37:27 am »
Pentium Pros are beautiful, I have a 1996 top spec gaming machine with one in it.

C/C++/Java Programmer, Legacy hardware enthusiast, madman.
If it's broken, I probably did it.
EEVBlog IRC: irc.austnet.irc #eevblog

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 04:12:39 am »
Same here. It was my second computer, has a Diamond Monster II (Voodoo II) card in it and some kind of Soundblaster AWE if I remember right. It hasn't been turned on in many years though. I should drag it out of the closet some day and see if it'll still boot.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
    • DextersLab2013
« Reply #6 on: Today at 07:34:30 am »
I am contemplating a retro build using it but i am in two minds

i wanted to make a dual pentium pro, dual voodoo 2 machine, which IMO is cool-as f**k but Win98 will only use one CPU and even if i ran Win2K for SMP any games are going to be single thread anyway so the only tasks that could make use of the dual cpu  would be windows ones so it's a totally irrational thing to do... but it certainly has some kudos about it

the other option is a P3 1.4G Tualatin Dual Voodoo 2, which technically would be a far better machine

i am still undecided which way to go  :-\
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
https://www.youtube.com/user/DextersLab2013
http://dexterslab2013.blogspot.co.uk/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf