Author Topic: Google Looks Different on WinXP Machine  (Read 2754 times)

Offline bostonmanTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Google Looks Different on WinXP Machine
« on: January 17, 2022, 02:51:49 am »
Google looks as if it's resorted to a Windows 98 look on a XP machine.

This began around last week. Any search results look basic and limited.

Does anyone know what changed?

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Google Looks Different on WinXP Machine
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 06:19:17 am »
Yeh, what browser?

Looks more or less normal in Chrome 49 (last version supported on XP).  Alignment is a little bit off, fonts and content look fine.  The adblocker probably doesn't work as well, that might explain some layout differences, or just that they're using whatever set of webkit stuff is newer than that.  Let's see, that's a 5 year old version huh, so probably a few things missing since, current version is 97?  Sheesh.

It goes without saying, IE shouldn't be online at all, and with Firefox support ended around a similar time frame as Chrome, the best option is to firewall or disconnect any XP machines you can't upgrade/replace for whatever reason.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 03:57:24 pm »
I should have included the browser.

The browser is Firefox. I haven’t tried Chrome, but know very few websites load in IE. I forgot the error, but IE refuses to view (I think) anything that is an https.

Also, I’m finding websites don’t even work with Firefox. MSN sometimes won’t display a news article, Home Depot same, etc…

Edit: using Firefox on Ubuntu 32 but looks fine.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 03:59:06 pm by bostonman »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 02:23:37 pm »
By the way, this is what Google looks like for me on XP, but looks normal on Ubuntu 32-bit.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 04:17:38 pm »
I noticed that on old browsers and when turning javascript off like with extension "Quick Javascript Switcher".

Offline precaud

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 01:25:42 pm »
Same on my XP machine w/ Firefox. Looks like a cutesy narrow format for cellphones. Lots of unused real estate on the screen.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 02:26:11 pm »
That's OK for me. I have my monitor in portrait orientation. But I can't get Chrome to work any more on my Windows XP machine.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 03:35:10 pm »
I noticed that on old browsers and when turning javascript off like with extension "Quick Javascript Switcher".

Hmmm I don't have "Quick Javascript" in my extensions (just Adobe Acrobat - Create PDF - and this is disabled).  In the Plugins I just have Javascript Development and Platform, and these are both turned off. I can't turn them on; seems it won't let me because they are no longer supported.

I checked Google webpage on Opera and Chrome, and they seem to display normal. Looks like it's exclusively Firefox, however, IE also displays Google webpage as it looks in Firefox, but for the longest, whenever I click on links, the majority of the time I get 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'. My thought was that IE stopped displaying websites due to security. Since I dislike IE anyway, I never worried about it not working, but I have spent time doing things like resetting IE to its original settings without success.

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 03:42:28 pm »
You're online and browsing with XP!?
Brave.

https://www.exploit-db.com search for windows XP and upgrade yesterday :)  :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 03:48:47 pm »
I keep meaning to buy the hardware to build a new powerful machine, but I had been using a laptop from work.

Periodically I use my XP machine online, but I have so much software that, if I get a new computer, will have to update everything which will be quite costly.

Anyway, I'm uncertain if Firefox changed something since this issue seems exclusively with Firefox (and I guess IE too - but I don't use it anyway).

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 12:03:38 am »
Hmmm I don't have "Quick Javascript" in my extensions (just Adobe Acrobat - Create PDF - and this is disabled).  In the Plugins I just have Javascript Development and Platform, and these are both turned off. I can't turn them on; seems it won't let me because they are no longer supported.

Handy for when websites misbehave and do spammy things especially some of the news sites:

This is the one I use for Chrome:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/quick-javascript-switcher/geddoclleiomckbhadiaipdggiiccfje?hl=en

Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/javascript/?utm_source=addons.mozilla.org&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=search

An older one for Firefox 22 attached: quickjava.zip, extract quickjava.xpi and drag in browser and the controls should show at the bottom right.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 12:13:52 am »
I get an error message that reads: this add-on could not be installed because it has not been verified

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 01:56:46 am »
aah sorry I forgot about this:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1101877

Hi, type about:config into the address bar, press Enter, accept the warning, scroll down to xpinstall.signatures.required and double click on it to change 'Value' from True to False. You may then need to restart Firefox. Note that this will only work until Firefox 44 - due for release on 26 January. After that, they will need to be signed - Add-on signing in Firefox.

If your question is resolved by this or another answer, please take a minute to let us know. Thank you.

In address bar type: 
about:config

Search:
xpinstall.signatures.required

Set from true to false.

I don't know what version of Firefox you have but beware this one QuickJava.2.0.3 is built around Firefox 22
Install.rdf
      <em:minVersion>4.0b1</em:minVersion>
            <em:maxVersion>27.*</em:maxVersion>

Firefox version: 4 to 27

I am sure you could rename, xpi to zip, extract to folder, edit install.rdf and change the 27 to a higher number, compress folder and rename back to .xpi and see if that works. I am looking myself and can't find anything newer than that at the moment. I stopped using Firefox after 28 or so until 78ESR due to slowness, memory consumption and stability issues with the built in bundled Flash player that I could switch off/kill or it covers over the contents with a message "the tab has crashed" pathetic and only gives and option to reload the page which in turns restarts the flash player even though it is not needed most of the time.

That particular extension is no longer being maintained and not available from Mozilla but there are others out there like this one too:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/disable-javascript/

http://quickjavaplugin.blogspot.com/2017/10/quickjava-to-be-obsolete-with-firefox.html
QuickJava to be Obsolete with Firefox 57 (November 14th, 2017)
The Mozilla developers could not envision a reason why users would want the main feature of my addon (disable JavaScript) and decided not to provide an appropriate API. This left me with workarounds that would slow down the user's experience on every page request while being more difficult to implement and potentially maintain in the future. Other feature APIs  that were going to be implemented without a half-baked work around were not going to be ready in time for me to be able to move over to them. And that's not even getting into the restrictions on the user interface.

Since this would cause QJ to be less user friendly, have less functionality, cause performance degradation and increase the maintenance requirements, I have decided that I will let QuickJava become obsolete with the release of FF57.

It's been a great 12 year run, thank you everyone for your support, bug reports, code submissions and most importantly (to me) your 5 star reviews!

What I like about it I can turn off cookies, animated images, CSS (where some sites hide the contents).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 02:25:32 am by MrMobodies »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 02:32:39 am »
Damn, that doesn't work either.

On a side note, I'm using v52.9

Don't worry about searching.... bottom line is I need a new computer. As I said, I'm just not excited about having to "find" all new versions of the software I have, and one of the main reasons I've blown off getting a new computer.

Offline pedro48

• Contributor
  • Black is just White without light
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2022, 02:51:35 am »
Looks the same side by side on Windows 10 and XP here in Aus

I have XP on a Toshiba Tecra, and resisting migrating a licensed MACH3 machine controller. I'm sure if I move it, it will break.

Using Vivaldi 1.0.435.46 (32bit), which is Chrome without all the  Google fruitiness. Working normally today in fact on a side by side Google returns more results in a faster time than Windows 10 on 4 cores of AMD

I moved away from Firefox, too slow and too many warnings about being unsafe ...

« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 02:54:29 am by pedro48 »

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 04:21:03 am »
Using Vivaldi 1.0.435.46 (32bit),

I installed it and it looks like a decent browser. I get some error on a few websites (one being EEVblog) that shows 'Your clock is ahead'.

I've checked my computer clocked and sycned it, but, from research, it looks like this may have been an issue before. Most likely they never fixed it in an old XP 32-bit version.

No big deal, just another shove to get a new computer.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 05:49:09 am »
I have been using Vivaldi for a couple of years now slowly migrating profiles (for dedicated purposes) across.

Can also edit the style of the browser with a bit help from their forums:

I am very pleased with it and I can also take pictures of pages at the bottom left near the zoom.

Also I find this StickyHeaderhiderakafixer Chrome extension handy for hiding/showing fixed toolbars/widgets that are set to get in the way as well as the usual abp adblock/ublock:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sticky-header-hider-aka-f/eagncneohcoiofhknkofdobphnhgblad

That one is a Standalone Vivaldi 3.8.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 05:50:47 am by MrMobodies »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf