Author Topic: I need to know, the slowest cd-r writing speeds of sony AW-Q170A CRX320E  (Read 1015 times)

Offline OverclockVintageTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi, i have searched trough the internet really alot, but i could not find that information, so i wonder if somebody here may have had or has one of those DVD/CD burners and may know about it. Thanks.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: I need to know, the slowest cd-r writing speeds of sony AW-Q170A CRX320E
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 05:56:36 am »
Have not met any that cannot do 1x or 2x writing at a minimum, though a lot of the writer software hides the ability to change this. As most typically have decent buffers these days the only reason to drop would be to use old media that only supports slow speed.

The following users thanked this post: OverclockVintage

Online retiredfeline

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 07:16:08 am »
I seem to remember that the burning software, at least on Linux, told me what speeds the drive could do. A hit on a search suggests that it burns CDs but can only read DVDs.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 07:58:52 pm »
SeanB
I was thinking on buying one of those writers, actually some programs i've managed to force slower speeds on mine, but it did not recorded well, while other programs automatically switch back to the slopwest supported speeds of my drive.

retiredfeline
Yes, it is for cds that i want. It's hard to find information and specs for some of those old cd writers.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 08:05:33 pm »
You have to be careful about the actual media, the discs .... modern CD-R / DVD-R / DVD+R use substances optimized for higher speeds and the discs can actually be damaged if you burn them at low speeds because of the amount of time the laser stays on top of some area.

It's quite common for DVD+R discs to require burning at minimum 4x or risk damaging them.

I wrote my first CD-R on an external HP 1x CD writer unit connected to the PC through the parallel port ...that was a boring 60 minutes of write time.

Then I bought a 24x CD-RW unit and wrote discs at 6-8x because that was the lowest speed that enabled protections for empty write buffer and all that.

imgBurn is what I use on Windows - https://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download - it's freeware but when you install it you have to be careful to uncheck some option, otherwise it installs a toolbar.
It shows the disc information, as filled by whomever made the disc, and says the minimum recommended write speeds and all that.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 08:13:18 pm by mariush »

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 10:54:28 pm »
mariush
Yes, most of the new media that you find locally is only good for higher speeds, and they are quite fragille, they warp with the heat of low speed burning and get scratched quite easily, i've got some old Elgin that record the best with 4x when you don't limit to 4x but use 4x as the botom speed, and also some Nipponic from markolon that are great for 4x but they are not so durable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf