Products > Vintage Computing

PCMCIA Development Tools

(1/2) > >>

e_60:
Anybody a past designer/developer of 16-Bit PCMCIA Cards?

I have been collecting little card testers, books etc but this stuff is so rare.    Especially the software for stuff that comes without discs.

ebclr:
Why are you doing that ?

srb1954:

--- Quote from: e_60 on February 18, 2021, 04:49:15 am ---Anybody a past designer/developer of 16-Bit PCMCIA Cards?

I have been collecting little card testers, books etc but this stuff is so rare.    Especially the software for stuff that comes without discs.

--- End quote ---
About 25 years ago I designed a custom PCMCIA card containing a speech synthesiser to allow blind people to use a laptop computer.

A difficult design challenge back in those days as we didn't have access to the super-miniature components that are so readily available these days. I only had 0805 or 1206 sizes SMD passive components available to use and I even had to squeeze a DIP package inside the card as one IC was not available in an SMD package.

Treehouseman:

--- Quote from: srb1954 on February 18, 2021, 07:30:46 am ---About 25 years ago I designed a custom PCMCIA card containing a speech synthesiser to allow blind people to use a laptop computer.

A difficult design challenge back in those days as we didn't have access to the super-miniature components that are so readily available these days. I only had 0805 or 1206 sizes SMD passive components available to use and I even had to squeeze a DIP package inside the card as one IC was not available in an SMD package.

--- End quote ---

Did this happen to be your card? Your description almost exactly fits this which I picked up off ebay a few years ago.

srb1954:

--- Quote from: Treehouseman on February 18, 2021, 04:04:17 pm ---Did this happen to be your card? Your description almost exactly fits this which I picked up off ebay a few years ago.

--- End quote ---
No, but is it quite similar.

My card also used a Xilinx FPGA (XC3030 as I recall) with a parallel EEPROM for the FPGA configuration memory. I also used a cut-out in the PCB to accommodate the DIP packaged IC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version