Products > Vintage Computing

PICL National Industrial Basic Language computer by Karen Orton

(1/4) > >>

Phil_G:
Edit: See version 2 update:   PICLV2

(original v1 post...)
I've just done a small PCB for Karen's 2007 PICL design, which is an SC/MP emulation in a PIC, running the genuine National NIBL interpreter code from 1976.
Karens SC/MP emulation is cycle-perfect and enables a two-chip genuine NIBL machine to be built very cheaply and easily.
The PCB is under 3" square and has all the Flag and Sense lines brought out to LEDs, buttons and a header, and talks via the usual USB-to-serial CH340 module rather than Karens original MAX232. The chips are a 6264 static RAM and a PIC16F877 (not sure if an '877A' will work).

For anyone fancying a look at NIBL or a trip down memory lane, this computer is really simple to make. Its nice to make one of Karens many projects as a tribute to all she achieved.

Here's a video:

The channel also has a video of the strip-board version, another running a Geoff Graham terminal chip and one using a re-coded Xbox chatpad keyboard.

Ultimately I'll post the gerbers but first I need to check some changes I made for the next batch (If there is a next batch!). The change is minor, just repositioning the serial board so its flush against the edge of the PCB. Its electrically identical but I'd like to test one first.

If anyone would like a board, please email me and I'll send a PCB at cost, strictly non-profit.

Here's Karens original PICL page from 2007: http://techlib.com/area_50/Readers/Karen/micro.htm#PICL

Cheers
Phil email: рhіlg@tаlk21.соm
Note that to avoid spam, the address above is unsearchable text & cant be copy-&-pasted into the 'to' field !

granzeier:
Very nice.

I actually have an old Nibbler PCB, which runs NIBL. One of these days, I need to get it out and make sure that it works. Hopefully the SC/MP chip actually works, or else I'll have to get one of these - they actually look really great.

Phil_G:
The second batch of PICL PCBs have just arrived this morning, I've a couple spare if anyone is interested. I took the opportunity to to flip the CH340G serial board so its component-side up, and to move it in a few mm so its flush with the overall outline. The pcb has corner mounting holes - otherwise its identical to the previous board. Functionally its identical.
If anyone would like a board, please email me rather than use the forum and I'll send a PCB at cost. If I run out again, I can order more, no problem. This is at cost, strictly non-profit.

Cheers
Phil email: рhіlg@tаlk21.соm
Note that to avoid spam, the address above is unsearchable text & can't be copy-&-pasted into the 'to' field !

granzeier:
I have the SCMP NIBL Reference Guide (http://files.granzeier.com/Downloads/NIBL-Ref.PDF) available. This is the National Semi document that describes the National Instruments BASIC Language (NIBL) used on their SC/MP chip, and Karen's PIC emulation of the SC/MP.

I also have the National Semiconductor ins8060 datasheet. This is the original CPU on which they installed NIBL (when they installed NIBL they then called it the INS8070.) I also have an article on NSC Tiny BASIC (on which NIBL is based) plus a few more articles, if anyone is interested. Note that these additional documents are not directly related to Karen's design, nor Phil's implementation of her design - they are just historically interesting things somewhat related to this project.

Phil_G:

--- Quote from: granzeier on July 24, 2021, 01:37:38 am ---I also have an article on NSC Tiny BASIC (on which NIBL is based) plus a few more articles, if anyone is interested. Note that these additional documents are not directly related to Karen's design, nor Phil's implementation of her design - they are just historically interesting things somewhat related to this project.

--- End quote ---
Yes please! I would be interested to see anything NIBL related - programs, projects, documents - considering it was so popular at the time theres surprisingly little NIBL stuff that has survived on the net...
BTW your PCB is on its way!
Cheers
Phil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version