Products > Vintage Computing

Probably the most sophisticated CP/M-80 machine ever made

(1/7) > >>

precaud:
The boot screen looks innocent enough, though that "g" in the BIOS version has special meaning...

precaud:
Front and rear views suggest this isn't a typical Z80 machine.

precaud:
And though you can run the generic CP/M software of the day on it, it was really built to do things like this.
1st pic is anechoic magnitude and phase vs frequency of a tweeter on a test baffle.
2nd pic is an 3D "waterfall" display (energy vs time vs frequency) of a speaker system.

RoGeorge:
I'm intrigued by the Charge/Battery indicators, thought I see a power cord in the pics.

Is that portable, can it run on batteries only?  ???

precaud:
So what is it, Johnnie?

It's a Tecron TEF-10 TDS Analyzer. A purpose-built Z-80 CP/M-based computer for doing acoustical measurements using Richard Heyser's Time Delay Spectrometry techniques. Inside are three Z80's, an AMD 9511 FPU, the usual 64kB of ram, sine and cosine oscillators, balanced mic and line-level preamps, etc. The "g" in the Bios string signifies support for the GPIB interface.

I bought this new in 1983. It has been in storage since 1989, when I upgraded to it's big brother TEF12+.

I set it up yesterday and it booted up. It ran all the software (from 38-yo 5.25" floppies) just fine. Time in a bottle.

I'm thinking of setting up a simple rig to measure headphones. My AKG C451E with CK2 capsule from the same period also appears to be just fine.

Fun stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version