Author Topic: Replacement Toshiba 440CDX Laptop RTC/CMOS Battery?  (Read 5028 times)

Online HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Replacement Toshiba 440CDX Laptop RTC/CMOS Battery?
« on: January 20, 2017, 12:58:32 am »
I'm after some advice. I need two new NiMh battery packs for a (very) old laptop (see attachments). The smaller one marked 'Varta 3/V30H' keeps the RTC ticking and retains CMOS settings. The larger one marked 'Varta 6/V110H' is the battery backed RAM for suspend/resume operations (which I'm not too worried about).

I've done a quick Google and checked Element14 and they don't seem to stock this type of pack. Not sure if it was a standard Varta part or something custom made by Toshiba. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get a new one or a suitable non-Varta replacement? (Not interested in "New old stock" from eBay.)

Failing that, does anyone have the capability to spot weld and recreate one of these packs using the existing cable/connector that can help me out, preferably in Australia?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:03:23 am by Halcyon »

• Global Moderator
Re: Replacement Toshiba 440CDX Laptop RTC/CMOS Battery?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 01:08:42 am »
Could you try a cordless phone battery. Physical size might be a problem though. 30mAh is pretty small for a cordless phone.

The space is at a premium in there. The cover (which is removed in the photos) is where the palm rest/mouse buttons are. I could remove the suspend/resume battery altogether as I'm not using that feature, however it would be nice to keep it in as original condition as possible.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 02:58:13 am »
It hardly seems worth spending the money on such an old beast. I had one once. Unless you're attached to it for some reason my advice is to buy something just a bit more recent. I'd have a good look before shelling out $20 or more on new batteries.

I don't use it for anything serious, it's just part of my old computer collection but it's in fantastic condition, almost like it just came out of the box.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 03:47:12 am »
The big one is a 6S pack of 1.2V 110mAh NiMH cells. Looking around, it seems the 110mAh has been discontinued and replaced by the 150mAh V150H: http://www.varta-microbattery.com/applications/mb_data/documents/data_sheets/DS55615.PDF

https://cellpacksolutions.co.uk/products/batteries/varta-v150h-rechargeable-button-cell-battery/

The small one is a 3S pack of 30mAh cells, V30H which seem to still be available.

http://www.varta-microbattery.com/applications/mb_data/documents/data_sheets/DS55603.pdf

Offline samnmax

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 08:28:31 am »
Are you sure you want to replace the battery? I've had some corrosion problems with a similar Toshiba laptop (220CS, I think). The negative cable had that green corrosion up to the connector on the mainboard. I just removed both batteries and just enter the time and CMOS data the seldom times it is powered up.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 09:59:57 am »
Are you sure you want to replace the battery? I've had some corrosion problems with a similar Toshiba laptop (220CS, I think). The negative cable had that green corrosion up to the connector on the mainboard. I just removed both batteries and just enter the time and CMOS data the seldom times it is powered up.

The batteries hold a charge for a matter of weeks, but not months. So there is still some capacity left in them. Ideally I'd like to replace them before they totally crap out and/or leak. Call it preventative maintenance if you like.

Mind you, the original main battery still lasts over an hour on a charge. Not bad for something this old  :-+

Offline samnmax

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 01:04:24 pm »
Mind you, the original main battery still lasts over an hour on a charge. Not bad for something this old  :-+

Haha, yes, I think my 220CS (Pentium 133!) still holds some charge in the main lithium battery. That must be because they are Li-Ion batteries ,otherwise NiMH or Nicd would be dead by now.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 10:15:14 pm »

Haha, yes, I think my 220CS (Pentium 133!) still holds some charge in the main lithium battery. That must be because they are Li-Ion batteries ,otherwise NiMH or Nicd would be dead by now.

I think you're right. The one in my machine is a lithium pack. Also looking at the bottom of the unit it has "Made in Japan" -- All the best stuff is made in Japan! :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf