Author Topic: retro video game using DEC T-11 and Tek 606B  (Read 2223 times)

Offline saipan59Topic starter

• Contributor
retro video game using DEC T-11 and Tek 606B
« on: September 16, 2021, 08:15:33 pm »
My daughter works in the hand-held gaming industry, so that inspired me to make a simple "video game" using only 1980's technology.

Key features:
- The MPU is a DEC T-11, running at 4 MHz. It has 8K of EEPROM, 8K of RAM, an MC68B50 UART, and a few GPIOs. I made the PCB a few years ago, for experimenting with T-11's.
- The display is a Tektronix 606B X-Y display (like a fancy oscilloscope, but without any sweep circuits).
- The T-11 board mates with an I/O board that includes a pair of DAC1230 DAC's, which drive the X and Y inputs on the display. The I/O board also has an MC68B21 PIA, and an AY-3-8912 sound chip (used in some 1980's console video games).
- Most of the code space in the EEPROM is used by my hacked version of figFORTH. The game code is in assembly, and can be run via a FORTH command.
- In the game, you launch a spaceship from "earth" and land it on an orbital platform. I'm calling it "MajorTom" :-) . Keystrokes (thru the serial port) control 'increase thrust', 'decrease thrust', 'move right', and 'move left'. If you hit earth or the platform at more than a slow speed, you blow up (Game Over).
The sound chip works, but I haven't implemented anything in the code to use it yet.

Question/Comments are welcome!
Attached: a couple of pictures, and the source code.

Pete

The following users thanked this post: Gyro, Teichhermelin, abeyer, DrG, Ted/KC9LKE

Offline Adenyassko

Re: retro video game using DEC T-11 and Tek 606B
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 11:39:00 am »
The technical specifications of your setup, including the DEC T-11 MPU and Tektronix display, bring back memories of early computing and gaming. It's impressive that you've incorporated components like DACs and sound chips reminiscent of 1980s console video games.
The choice to use figFORTH for most of the code space in the EEPROM adds a unique twist to your project. The gameplay, where you control a spaceship named "MajorTom," sounds like a fun challenge with the keystrokes controlling thrust and movement.
By the way, I'd also recommend checking out what is cash giraffe. It's always intriguing to explore new topics.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 12:05:19 pm by Adenyassko »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf