Author Topic: Sonos is planning to enter the "Internet of Things" / Voice Control market  (Read 1381 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Most of us probably know Sonos products as those fantastic wireless speakers. I personally use them and love every bit of them... so far.

A recent change to their "Beta Tester & Confidentiality Agreement" was a little troubling...

Sonos may use, collect, or store information generated from your testing and use of the Sonos products and materials being provided to you under this Agreement including voice data and recordings used to improve the overall voice command/ Sonos skill service (“Usage Data"). Sonos may disclose, share, redistribute, or publish such Usage Data. If you are outside of the United States, you understand and agree that personal contact information and Usage Data will be transferred to the United States and stored on servers in the United States, subject to laws applicable in the United States.

As far as I'm aware, the only Sonos device that includes a microphone is the Sonos Play:5

Then there was this article: http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/sonos-microphone-speaker-coming-1202532771/

It seems as though Sonos are following the Amazon, Apple and Google paths and turning their products into potential listening devices. If this is the case, no thanks, I'll keep using my old products that don't listen to my every word.

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Re: Sonos is planning to enter the "Internet of Things" / Voice Control market
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 07:58:41 am »
Dammit, this was meant to go into "General Chat", could a mod move it?

Offline expinkolator

• Contributor
Re: Sonos is planning to enter the "Internet of Things" / Voice Control market
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 05:30:59 pm »
Most of us probably know Sonos products as those fantastic wireless speakers

I only know them as fantastically expensive.

Sonos Play 5 speaker from Amazon $499.

Net connected Sony 5.1 Channel 1000 Watts 3D Blu-ray DVD Surround Sound Home Theater System from Amazon $349.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf