Products > Vintage Computing

TRS-80 M1 Monitor rejuvenation

<< < (3/3)

BrokenYugo:
Yeah, at this point I don't consider touching anything working well unless perhaps it's life/revenue critical (i.e. failure has some real cost attached) or a known weak point that will lead to additional damage (e.g. early SMD electrolytic caps). Even if you do spec out good parts and do good work replacing them there are sometimes traps encountered when forcing modern parts into ancient designs. I'm even beginning to get wary of shotgunning equipment as a "while I'm in there", change the bad parts and GTFO.

DrG:
I'm sorry, but why did I want to do this again? :)

The first CPU has a likely flaky/stuck bit 0 of video RAM [Z48 if you are keeping score]. I did order a couple of 2102s, but I am rethinking this whole project, at least at this time. Brittle plastic. Non-working keys - general electronic malaise.

The second CPU is not in as good shape.

On the plus side, there is so much documentation on this machine that I am relatively certain I can fix it with enough hours and a little cash. Perhaps, however, some reassembly, and new boxing and storage for another day is in order. We'll see.

helius:
A CRT tube has a gray paint on it called the aquadag. You should only use mild cleaners such as soap and water (and not too much water!) to avoid damaging this layer.

james_s:
On a lot of them it's quite durable, I have washed numerous CRTs in the dishwasher, but then I did it once on a 19" monitor and it washed off the aquadag! Thankfully that tube turned out to be the fault with that monitor. I had another where it was stored in a humid environment and the stuff flaked off, I got some graphite paint sold for shielding electric guitar bodies and fixed it with that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version