Author Topic: Video: M8650 working on PDP-8/F  (Read 3161 times)

Offline intabitsTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Video: M8650 working on PDP-8/F
« on: October 09, 2021, 02:41:15 pm »
For anyone who might interested, a video where I get my PDP-8/f to do some I/O at last.
Using the M8650 board for serial communications (but only at 110 baud).

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline granzeier

• Regular Contributor
Re: Video: M8650 working on PDP-8/F
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 01:58:02 am »
Nice!

I really like how you show all the steps you took to get the data out. It can be pretty confusing to describe the levels in TTL, versus RS-232. :P

I like the speed, it reminds me of using the old ASR-33 teletypes back in school. Before you upgrade the speed, load up a BASIC interpreter, and show us a bit of playing with that.  :) (Although, you will want to keep that to a minimum and get the speed up to a usable speed after that.)

This also makes me want to get my own PDP, or a Nova, or some other minicomputer.

Offline intabitsTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Video: M8650 working on PDP-8/F
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 05:58:59 am »
Nice!

I really like how you show all the steps you took to get the data out. It can be pretty confusing to describe the levels in TTL, versus RS-232. :P

I like the speed, it reminds me of using the old ASR-33 teletypes back in school. Before you upgrade the speed, load up a BASIC interpreter, and show us a bit of playing with that.  :) (Although, you will want to keep that to a minimum and get the speed up to a usable speed after that.)

This also makes me want to get my own PDP, or a Nova, or some other minicomputer.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

This was the first, and currently the only, means of any form of I/O on this computer.
I do also have a rudimentary parallel interface for inter-computer communication still to try out, but it's usefulness would be limited.

It has no form of mass storage, and therefore no way to load a Basic interpreter. (I think one exists, but I'm not even sure about that)
I'll be working on that, but it's a fair way off...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf