Products > Vintage Computing

Video: M8650 working on PDP-8/F

(1/1)

intabits:
For anyone who might interested, a video where I get my PDP-8/f to do some I/O at last.
Using the M8650 board for serial communications (but only at 110 baud).

granzeier:
Nice!

I really like how you show all the steps you took to get the data out. It can be pretty confusing to describe the levels in TTL, versus RS-232. :P

I like the speed, it reminds me of using the old ASR-33 teletypes back in school. Before you upgrade the speed, load up a BASIC interpreter, and show us a bit of playing with that.  :) (Although, you will want to keep that to a minimum and get the speed up to a usable speed after that.)

This also makes me want to get my own PDP, or a Nova, or some other minicomputer.

intabits:

--- Quote from: granzeier on October 10, 2021, 01:58:02 am ---Nice!

I really like how you show all the steps you took to get the data out. It can be pretty confusing to describe the levels in TTL, versus RS-232. :P

I like the speed, it reminds me of using the old ASR-33 teletypes back in school. Before you upgrade the speed, load up a BASIC interpreter, and show us a bit of playing with that.  :) (Although, you will want to keep that to a minimum and get the speed up to a usable speed after that.)

This also makes me want to get my own PDP, or a Nova, or some other minicomputer.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

This was the first, and currently the only, means of any form of I/O on this computer.
I do also have a rudimentary parallel interface for inter-computer communication still to try out, but it's usefulness would be limited.

It has no form of mass storage, and therefore no way to load a Basic interpreter. (I think one exists, but I'm not even sure about that)
I'll be working on that, but it's a fair way off...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version