Author Topic: What was the very first computer you owned or used ?  (Read 142998 times)

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
Re: What was the very first computer you owned or used ?
« Reply #475 on: July 19, 2021, 01:34:19 am »
First owned was an IMSAI 8080. I also have an IBM 5100 from the same era (1975 or there abouts). First to use was a DEC PDP-11/35.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline gcewing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #476 on: August 08, 2021, 05:59:10 am »
Miniscamp, built from a design published in Electronics Australia. National SC/MP CPU, 256 bytes RAM, switches and LEDs for program entry and I/O.

Much hacked upon over the next few years. RAM was expanded to 1.5k, a hex keypad and display was added, a cassette tape interface was added. The CPU was replaced with a 6800 (big improvement!). I experimented with random-access tape storage based on an old 8-track cartridge player (kinda sorta worked, not very reliable or practical). I connected it to a 5-bit teleprinter (worked well, but was very noisy!)

My next computer was a Dick Smith Super 80 built from a kit, but that's another story...

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #477 on: August 08, 2021, 05:04:50 pm »
Miniscamp, built from a design published in Electronics Australia. National SC/MP CPU, 256 bytes RAM, switches and LEDs for program entry and I/O.

Much hacked upon over the next few years. RAM was expanded to 1.5k, a hex keypad and display was added, a cassette tape interface was added. The CPU was replaced with a 6800 (big improvement!). I experimented with random-access tape storage based on an old 8-track cartridge player (kinda sorta worked, not very reliable or practical). I connected it to a 5-bit teleprinter (worked well, but was very noisy!)

My next computer was a Dick Smith Super 80 built from a kit, but that's another story...

Would be nice if you still had photos of either to share.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #478 on: August 08, 2021, 05:09:08 pm »
/--/

Was looking at that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Smith_Super-80_Computer At lest than 300 for the kit looks like a nice price for the time!
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #479 on: August 08, 2021, 09:18:27 pm »
The first personal computer I used was the ubiquitous Apple ][, owned by a family on my paper router. I was a Freshman in high school. The school eventually set up a computer lab with Apple ][e and later ][g and in addition to BASIC we had courses in FORTRAN and Pascal. (Back then FORTRAN was also compiled down to p-code.)

The school also had an office that had a time-share terminal with a dial-up modem to some big mainframe somewhere and they let students come in and use it. We'd play that text-based Star Trek game, Hunt the Wumpus, and of course the grandaddy of 'em all, Zork/Adventure. To this day I still say "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

At university my freshman year, every student got a DEC Professional-350 desktop machine. It was DEC's first ill-fated attempt at personal computers, and it was based on the LSI/11. It had two 5 ¼" floppy disk drives (which were not compatible with IBM PC diskettes), a 10 MB hard disk drive, and it ran a desktop version of VMS.  The university was a big DEC shop. The summer before my arrival they decommissioned the DEC System10, but the full-up VAXcluster was still operational. The choice of the Pro350 would have made more sense had we all been given modems to dial in to the big system, but since the dorm rooms didn't have telephones they wouldn't have been of use anyway. There was never much of an attempt to integrate the computers into the curriculum, and that was the biggest flaw of the scheme.

(Later DEC released the second ill-fated attempt at personal computers, the IBM-PC-compatible DEC Rainbow, but it used the same weird incompatible floppy disks as the Pro350, so while software was "available" for it, you couldn't buy a box in the store and use it. But wisely the school changed from the Pro350 to actual IBM PC-ATs (or XT, I don't remember) and skipped the Rainbow.)

Offline gcewing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #480 on: August 09, 2021, 11:25:30 am »

Would be nice if you still had photos of either to share.

It never occurred to me to take any photos of them at the time. This was long before both digital photography and the internet, so I wouldn't have had any easy way of sharing them with anyone.

I could take some photos of what's left of them. Only the case of the Miniscamp remains, unfortunately -- it was long since gutted. I still have the main part of the Super 80, but not the somewhat cruddy expansion cabinet I made for it...

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #481 on: August 09, 2021, 03:13:23 pm »
At university my freshman year, every student got a DEC Professional-350 desktop machine. It was DEC's first ill-fated attempt at personal computers, and it was based on the LSI/11. It had two 5 ¼" floppy disk drives (which were not compatible with IBM PC diskettes), a 10 MB hard disk drive, and it ran a desktop version of VMS.
That can't be right. The 350 was definitely an LSI/11 based machine, which means it would not run VMS. VMS was a 32 bit VAX (and later 64 bit for the Alpha) only OS. I think most 350s ran RT-11, although there are other PDP/11 OSes it could run, even a good old 16 bit Unix.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #482 on: August 10, 2021, 07:12:48 pm »
A 8088, a 386, 486 ...  and briefly an real 586 133mhz board+cpu, returned it after a 24hours battle to make it work lol

My most precious was a 486 100mhz  overdrive cpu, the heatsink on them was beautiful  lolll

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #483 on: August 11, 2021, 02:23:28 pm »
My most precious was a 486 100mhz  overdrive cpu, the heatsink on them was beautiful  lolll

*damn* you are making me feel old. My 486 was, I think, 66 MHz and I was so happy to move on to the Pentium days, but I am understanding that there is a little retro-resurgence going on with these.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #484 on: August 11, 2021, 06:41:35 pm »
At university my freshman year, every student got a DEC Professional-350 desktop machine. It was DEC's first ill-fated attempt at personal computers, and it was based on the LSI/11. It had two 5 ¼" floppy disk drives (which were not compatible with IBM PC diskettes), a 10 MB hard disk drive, and it ran a desktop version of VMS.
That can't be right. The 350 was definitely an LSI/11 based machine, which means it would not run VMS. VMS was a 32 bit VAX (and later 64 bit for the Alpha) only OS. I think most 350s ran RT-11, although there are other PDP/11 OSes it could run, even a good old 16 bit Unix.

PRO-350s shipped with P/OS (not POS :D) which was based on RSX-11M rather than RT-11. As you say though other OSs could be used though.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #485 on: August 11, 2021, 08:26:35 pm »

The Pro350 ran something called/like ProDOS, which was some variant of whichever DEC operating system ran on the LSI/11. It was a long time ago!

Offline ferdieCX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #486 on: August 12, 2021, 01:41:33 am »
The Pro350 came with P/OS.
In the few Pro350 that our customers had, we installed RT-11 and the time-sharing  TSX-plus from S&H Computer Systems

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #487 on: November 13, 2021, 03:57:11 pm »
DEC Pro350 was originally LSI-11/23 (DCF-11).
Later Pro380 was LSI-11/73 (DCJ-11).

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/DEC_Professional_(computer)

I have a faint memory that there was a VMS port, something where original motherboard bypassed to I/O only module and new CPU was in a slot.
If the recollection is not totally bogus it also includes that the invented VAX-11/7xx was slow.

PC100 was CP/M and MS-DOS machine.
It later got a MS-DOS 3.xx port for non standard graphics.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline Garry G

« Reply #488 on: November 28, 2021, 03:58:48 pm »
The first computer I ever owned was also the first computer I ever used, a VIC-20.
I got this when I was around 12 or 13 and still have it... although it's a bit poorly now!
I do have another fully working one now though, and should try to get around to fixing my original one.

I've recently started looking a writing a few games in assembly for the VIC, just to see what I can come up with now, compared to all those BASIC games I wrote way back when.

The following users thanked this post: MK14, jack-daniels

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #489 on: December 03, 2021, 08:12:05 pm »
You know it occurred to me the thread title might have been more controversial in the 1940s when a "Computer" was usually a woman performing repetitive computational tasks.  Updating ledgers etc.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, MK14, Neomys Sapiens

Online granzeier

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #490 on: December 06, 2021, 01:29:09 pm »
   The first time that I ever used a computer was sometime in the late 1960s, when I went to the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, and saw a computer that played Tic-Tac-Toe. It used a telephone dial for data entry, and displayed your move, and then its move, on a light panel above the dial. I think that I was allowed to play one game with the computer. You can see a good description of a recreation of the computer here: https://www.museumofplay.org/2018/08/08/an-expansion-pack-for-a-history-of-video-games-in-64-objects/ (item # 1,) and there are four pictures of that recreation here: https://twitter.com/jpdysonplay/status/948258557773910017?lang=en. A couple years later, I used a bunch of Christmas Light sockets and bulbs (the old kind that screwed into their sockets) and switches to attempt to recreate the Tic-Tac-Toe computer myself – not a computer, but pretty good for a pre-teen.

First used on a regular basis: HP 2000 (not sure, but probably an A model.)

This was upgraded to an HP 2000F/Access during summer break (summer of '76, or '77.) A few days prior to graduation, an older friend took me to what became my high school, and sat me down in front of a large "typewriter" (what I now know was an ASR-33 Teletype.) He then picked up a phone, dialed a number and placed the handset into a white box next to the "typewriter" (the modem.) Then he typed something, and the Teletype typed back - All... By... Itself...!!! I was hooked. He got me logged in and ran a tutorial program (TUTxx, from the HP library) and it got me started in programming.

The first "computer" I owned (other than that tic-tac-toe computer) was a Bell Lab's CardIAC (Cardboard Illustrative Aid to Computation - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CARDboard_Illustrative_Aid_to_Computation. If you would like to build your own clone, check out: https://www.kylem.net/hardware/hardware.html).

Miss McGuigan, one of our math teachers, and the sponsor of the computer club gave the CardIAC to me. While still in high school, I wrote an emulator for the CardIAC on the HP 2000, in BASIC. I actually still own a CardIAC, and am working on building an electronic hardware emulator.

My first real computer was a Sinclair ZX-81.

I ordered this in December of 1980, received it in early 1981, and took it to work (an Air Force shop where we maintained mainframe air defense computers - I was on active duty at the time) to assemble. All of the guys in my shop kept "finding things to do" near the workbench that I was using. One thing that I noticed was that there was a dual RAM option on the PCB, allowing either the two 2114 1KX4 RAM chips, or a single 6116 2K RAM chip. Unfortunately, I did not have the 6116 chip to double my RAM. This computer quickly received a 16K RAM and a real keyboard. I talked a co-worker into getting one, and helped him give it a real keyboard, just like mine. I actually still have a couple of ZX-81s and Timex-Sinclair TS-1000s.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 02:15:40 am by granzeier »

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #491 on: December 06, 2021, 02:16:55 pm »
I had never heard of the Cardiac [CARDboard Illustrative Aid to Computation] and I did some digging and, wow, that is quite cool for 1969 [and today] https://www.cs.drexel.edu/~bls96/museum/cardiac.html

Online granzeier

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #492 on: December 06, 2021, 02:51:06 pm »
The CardIAC was (and is) a lot of fun - although tedious.  ;D

I blame Bell Labs, and their CardIAC, for my firm grasp of assembly language. It really made the computer understandable.

Also, that Drexel page is one of my favorite. Lots of good information about the CardIAC there.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 02:53:46 pm by granzeier »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #493 on: December 06, 2021, 06:07:10 pm »
The CardIAC was (and is) a lot of fun - although tedious.  ;D

I blame Bell Labs, and their CardIAC, for my firm grasp of assembly language. It really made the computer understandable.

Also, that Drexel page is one of my favorite. Lots of good information about the CardIAC there.
Would you care to show some pictures here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/those-old-cardboard-sleeved-slide-charts-!!

Online granzeier

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #494 on: December 07, 2021, 02:03:49 am »
Would you care to show some pictures here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/those-old-cardboard-sleeved-slide-charts-!!
Unfortunately, the final !! and the slash got taken out of the URL, so I fixed it in the quote above.
That looks interesting, I'll go ahead and post about the CardIAC to that thread.
Thanks

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #495 on: December 07, 2021, 07:59:34 am »
   The first time that I ever used a computer was sometime in the late 1960s, when I went to the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, and saw a computer that played Tic-Tac-Toe. It used a telephone dial for data entry, and displayed your move, and then its move, on a light panel above the dial. I think that I was allowed to play one game with the computer. You can see a good description of a recreation of the computer here: https://www.museumofplay.org/2018/08/08/an-expansion-pack-for-a-history-of-video-games-in-64-objects/ (item # 1,) and there are four pictures of that recreation here: https://twitter.com/jpdysonplay/status/948258557773910017?lang=en.

The Chicago Tic-Tac-Toe game might have been inspired by an earlier version published in Radio Electronics in 1956:
https://www.vintagecomputer.net/cisc367/Radio%20Electronics%20Dec%201956%20Relay%20Moe%20Plays%20Tic-tac-toe.pdf

The article gives quite a bit of technical detail, although not a complete set of building instructions. This was an electro-mechanical device, with a rotating drum to control the timing sequence. It also featured rotating cams to cause less-than-perfect moves "at random", to keep the game interesting.

Offline AardvarkM31

• Contributor
« Reply #496 on: December 11, 2021, 04:02:40 pm »
Well, IIRC it was a Commodore VIC 20, soon replaced by a Commodore 64, added a cassette tape backup.
Cheers

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #497 on: December 13, 2021, 11:03:33 am »
My first computer was a mini-portable notebook, produced by Olivetti in 1992: the - smaller than a regular - Quaderno PT-XT-20!!!

It was powered by a NEC V30HL @ 16MHz CPU (x86 compatible), 1MB of memory, and 20MB, 2.5" (CHS, pre-LBA, and loaded with proprietary firmware) hard-drive, while MS-DOS v5 was loaded in ROM.

1992..1997, I used the the notebook with Lotus 123, QuickBasic v4.5, TurboPascal v6, and Procomm (thanks to a PCMCIA-to-RS232 adapter).
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline x86guru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #498 on: December 13, 2021, 03:00:22 pm »
My very first computer was a new Commodore VIC-20 when I was ~10 years old
My next computer was a used Apple ][ (Not the ][+ or //e, the original ][) when I was ~12-13 years old
My next computer was a used Amiga 1000 when I was ~17 years old
My next computer was a used PC-AT clone when I was ~19 years old with a i386/33 CPU, 50MB 5.25" HD, monochrome monitor.
Then a flood of PCs from there.

Offline MK14Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #499 on: December 13, 2021, 03:10:40 pm »
You know it occurred to me the thread title might have been more controversial in the 1940s when a "Computer" was usually a woman performing repetitive computational tasks.  Updating ledgers etc.

That's true. I may get some of the following wrong. But I think in that era, 'programmer' was actually ladies (usually), who 'programmed' the desired actual program into the computer. Using things similar to telephone exchange patch cables, to the different computational units (before stored program computers, were available and/or in common use).
'Bugs' were literally causing faults because of actual insects getting caught between the computers relay contacts, and hence causing it to malfunction.
'Calculators' were also humans calculating stuff, rather than actual mechanical/electronic calculators.

Also, condensers (capacitors), clock frequencies in non-SI units, etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf