Author Topic: What was your first computer?  (Read 65074 times)

Offline Keith956

• Regular Contributor
    • peardrop design systems
Re: What was your first computer?
« Reply #225 on: November 11, 2020, 01:10:55 pm »
So the first digital computer I owned was an Exidy Sorcerer bought in 1979, Complete with S100 bus extender, two 8 inch floppy drives and it ran CP/M. Somewhere I've still got 'Original Adventure' on floppy for it.

Offline THDplusN_bad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #226 on: November 11, 2020, 05:58:54 pm »
Good Day,

Ah, yes, it seems that everybody holds some fond memories of the 1st computer in his/her heart...  :)

I suppose I had a "typical computer career" of a teenager that grew up in West-Germany in the 80s.

• 1st impressions of what a PC is were the Spectrum ZXs, Sinclair ZX-80s and Commodore VC-20s of my peers at the boarding school. A TI99/4A with TI invaders game on it was the ultimate attraction, until we have found out how restrictive TI's policy was - no schematics, no real programming support, no real 3rd party network  :-DD
  • I had then saved enough to get my own Commodore C-64 two years after that. I was over the moon with it - we built several user port interfaces for a hardware reset-button (lo-and-behold), a series of LEDs and even an AD-converter! I was not much into assembler programming back in the days, but very much into "swapping" cracked games!
    Anyone here that still remembers the Dynamic Duo "intros" or those by the Swedish Cracking Association SCA? Oh my, there are even websites for that!
    https://intros.c64.org/intro/swca-01
    and YT-videos!

Never really interested in the Schneider CPC128/Amstrad-CPC or other alternatives. I still have that C64 with its bulky power supply and a datasette
  • I had then "upgraded" to an Commodore AMIGA A500, topped the memory to 1 MByte - oh, yes, just to see that famous video animation of a walking cat "El Gato" turning a full 360° angle :palm: Holy Moly -  the cat video can still be found at 1:47 here, that is AMAZING!
    https://www.techeblog.com/a-look-back-amiga-500
    I remember that the Atari ST was the dream machine for the more serious programmers and for the egg-heads... >:D
  • Just because it was cheap I had also bought a Commodore C-16 a few years after the Amiga.
  • And then up for a 486DX-40 (?) IBM-compatible PC and on with Cyrix-CPUs-powered PCs, and Pentiums...

Cheers,

THDplusN_bad

« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 06:04:52 pm by THDplusN_bad »

Online woofy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Woofys Place
« Reply #227 on: November 12, 2020, 09:03:18 am »
So the first digital computer I owned was an Exidy Sorcerer bought in 1979, Complete with S100 bus extender, two 8 inch floppy drives and it ran CP/M. Somewhere I've still got 'Original Adventure' on floppy for it.
That's a computer I've not heard of in a while. Never owned one myself but a colleague I used to work with did. We used to get together for a "computer evening" at home with my Nascom 1.
Fun days.

Offline larrybl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #228 on: November 16, 2020, 05:21:33 pm »
My Son got this working.

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #229 on: November 16, 2020, 08:05:31 pm »
My Son got this working.

Nice, thanks for posting. I never had one but for some reason Radio Shack, at some point, sold their power supply boards for this TI computer....and, again, for some reason, I bought one of those :)
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

The following users thanked this post: larrybl

Offline salvathor

« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2020, 09:54:20 am »
Mine was an Olivetti Prodest PC128, a rebranded Thomson MO6. With 128 Kb of RAM ! :-DD

https://worddisk.com/wiki/Thomson_MO6/

Offline larrybl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2020, 12:30:26 am »
My Son loading a game on to his vintage TI 99 Computer from his Smart Phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B6vf8--Gn0&feature=youtu.be

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #232 on: November 19, 2020, 10:55:55 pm »
"Iskra-1256"  :)
And sorry for my English.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #233 on: November 19, 2020, 11:34:31 pm »
eurocard system in 19 inch rack built around a motorola 6802 processor. i had to solder everything myself. then i got my hands on a used apple II and then a single board around a 8052-ah-basic. and then i got my first pc. a 386DX , non of that sx crap ) with 1 meg of ram and a 100Mb harddisk. VGA card on a NEC Mulitsync 3 monitor.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline brcondor

« Reply #234 on: December 21, 2020, 04:34:16 am »
Mac 128K with one 3.5 internal floppy. I added an external floppy some time later and thought it was awesome to not have to swap floppies from the OS to another program. My first mod was swapping the motherboard with one from a Mac Plus that had the CRT cracked. I thought it was such an advance to be able to add memory simms.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 04:42:29 am by brcondor »

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #235 on: December 21, 2020, 05:25:08 am »
I have to ask:  Did you ever accidentally press Reset when intending to press Write?

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #236 on: December 21, 2020, 08:57:59 am »
I have to ask:  Did you ever accidentally press Reset when intending to press Write?

No, I was young and had very good coordination, stimulated by re-entering the program text line by line.  :)
The photo, by the way, is inaccurate, this is another model "Iskra-226" in which Basic. I didn't find the photo "Iskra-1256".  :-\
But outwardly they are very similar.

Or... no, no, that's right: there is a switch "Fortran-bird language". The "write(" operator is for Fortran, and on the same button, the "ввод (" operator is for bird language.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 09:01:24 am by S. Petrukhin »

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline Kuber

« Reply #237 on: January 14, 2021, 02:27:44 pm »
SWTPC 6800 kit system, purchased in 1977.  It had a whopping 2K of RAM, which I later upgraded to 4K.  To this day I could still (probably) write a 6800 machine code program without referring to any documentation. 

The following users thanked this post: srb1954

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #238 on: January 14, 2021, 04:22:32 pm »

I always thought those boxes were quite cool. Do you still have it? If not, do you remember where it ended it up?

Offline Wawavoun

• Regular Contributor
  • Someday I'll get you, Red Baron !
« Reply #239 on: January 14, 2021, 06:02:42 pm »
Hello there !

Elektor Junior Computer.... 1982... The one on the picture is a rebuild !

Soldering iron was useful when programming !

Philippe

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #240 on: January 14, 2021, 06:24:09 pm »
I remembered a joke...
-Dad, did you have the Internet as a child?
 -No.
- DVD?
- No...
- And there was no computer?
- It was not...
- Paaap, and you have seen the dinosaurs?
 :)

Offline Larryc001

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #241 on: January 24, 2021, 10:37:02 pm »
My first computer was not really mine, but it was the first computer I had seen. It was in 1966 that the radio observatory where I worked purchased a Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) PDP-9. It lived in a large screen room inside the radio telescope control room. I learned to program it in assembly language. It was the start of a career in computer software. I eventually worked for DEC and I was able to work on a variety of their computers. I even spent some time in the plant in Maynard, Mass. Those were the days all right, the Wild West of computers.

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What was you first computer?
« Reply #242 on: January 25, 2021, 02:21:36 am »
TRS-80 Model I Level II with 16K ram, and NO disk drive or Expansion Interface.,...    The concept of 32  baud cassette tape program storage  still gives me the jitters...
Anyone else remember the one line programming challenge?  reason being cr-lf burned a hell of  a lot of RAM,

47x127 B&W graphics... yum.. Sound (if you could call it that) by modulating the tape drive on/off bit.

Still taught me one heck about low level computing and TTl interface.

"WHAT?"   :palm:

Steve

Mine was exactly the same. I learned a lot from it. I hand assembled and poked into memory. I did a mod to double the clock speed. I did a mod to add lower case. I got the technical reference manual, and as a high schooler got a start understanding digitial electronics. The whole design was simple enough for me to understand every part of it (those were good times). Everything was memory mapped (keyboard, display). Just Z80, TTL chips, character ROM, BASIC ROM, RAM, not much else. When the warranty ran out and the display went wonkers, I made a logic probe and traced the problem down to a bad inverter in the video circuit. I was very nervous taking the bad DIP part off the board (I'd never done anything like that before). I used an IC socket for the replacement, and solved the problem. I had planned on making an expansion interface, but never finished it. Still have the wire wrapped fragments of the start of the project (and 16k of memory).

Before that, the first computer I used was an IBM 360. At my dad's job they let me run a FORTRAN program on punch cards which computed a quadratic equation. Then at the same company, they let me play with an Olivetti programmable calculator like this one:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 02:33:04 am by rfclown »

Offline MIS42N

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #243 on: January 25, 2021, 09:04:13 am »
My first computer program was written in Algol for an Elliot 803 c. 1967. Years later I had shares in a KIM-1, we couldn't individually afford it. We had the use of an old paper tape teletype for I/O. I wrote a 6502 assembler for it, I'm hoping to unearth the code one day, it was tiny, I think 300 bytes. It read the source, put the code direct into memory. It had no error checking so there was also a disassembler and if it was loaded first the assembled instruction, instead of loading into memory, was disassembled and compared with the source line. If it didn't match byte for byte it was flagged as an error. The first computer I owned was an Ohio Superboard with ROM BASIC and keys soldered direct to the motherboard. Then followed Atari 400, Atari 800, Osborne 1, Visual 1050 then various PCs starting with a 80486SX with DOS. I still have most plus a few others given to me. C64, Amiga, Apple IIc, Kaypro, Toshiba 3100. Awaiting the time when I restore them (probably never). I also have an acoustic modem terminal. And an Intel 4040 evaluation kit with ceramic ICs. Still using a Compaq Armada laptop c.1998 as a serial terminal. The junk we keep!

Offline intabits

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #244 on: January 27, 2021, 06:31:20 am »
It was in 1966 that the radio observatory where I worked purchased a Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) PDP-9. It lived in a large screen room inside the radio telescope control room.

Have you seen the movie "The Dish"?
About the Parkes radio telescope involvement with the Apollo program. They also had a PDP-9.

The following users thanked this post: Larryc001

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #245 on: January 27, 2021, 08:03:54 am »

I always thought those boxes were quite cool. Do you still have it? If not, do you remember where it ended it up?
I still have my SWTPC 6800 stashed away somewhere. I built it from a kit in 1978.

I equipped it with what was a huge amount of RAM at the time: a whole 8K bytes. With that amount of memory I could run the Motorola co-resident editor and assembler and still have enough memory left over to assemble and run small programs. All the application S/W had to be loaded off a painfully slow cassette interface which took about half an hour to load each time.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #246 on: January 27, 2021, 06:11:31 pm »

I still have my SWTPC 6800 stashed away somewhere. I built it from a kit in 1978.

I equipped it with what was a huge amount of RAM at the time: a whole 8K bytes. With that amount of memory I could run the Motorola co-resident editor and assembler and still have enough memory left over to assemble and run small programs. All the application S/W had to be loaded off a painfully slow cassette interface which took about half an hour to load each time.

If you ever dig it up, please post the experience (getting it to work) and, by all means, with some pics!

Offline faraday

• Contributor
    • ielektro.net
« Reply #247 on: January 27, 2021, 11:47:43 pm »
My first computer TIMEX2048

Offline Larryc001

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #248 on: January 29, 2021, 04:36:42 am »
It was in 1966 that the radio observatory where I worked purchased a Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) PDP-9. It lived in a large screen room inside the radio telescope control room.

Have you seen the movie "The Dish"?
About the Parkes radio telescope involvement with the Apollo program. They also had a PDP-9.

Yes thanks I have. I actually wrote some software for them. Funny I had forgotten about that.

Offline ozcar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2021, 06:17:41 am »

I built my SWTPC 6800 in 1977. Building it in stages, I spent quite some time working with it before I put together any of the RAM boards, so fitting hand-assembled programs into the huge 128 byte RAM chip on the CPU board. I know it ended its days upgraded to a 6809 with 48K RAM, but now I can't even remember now how that 48K was made up, maybe 2 x 8K boards and a 32K non-SWTPC board.

I got rid of most of it over 10 years ago, but I had a lot of the plug-in boards up until 2017, when I finally turfed them out. However, on my desk next to me now there is a small power supply I built in the last year. The top cover of that is made out of a piece of the perforated aluminium sheet from the SWTPC machine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf