General > Work Wanted

[US] Seeking participants with Eagle knowledge to participate in a user study

(1/2) > >>

jgarzagu:
Hello,

I'm Jorge Garza (J Garza), a Ph.D. student at the University of California, San Diego, and we're doing a user study on a schematic capture prototype we developed called TypedSchematic. TypedSchematics (based on Eagle) is a tool with a different approach and workflow for connecting reusable schematic designs, also known as schematic blocks. The intent of the study is to compare the integration of schematic blocks for creating new schematics between Autodesk Eagle and our tool TypedSchematics, as well as to evaluate the schematic model representation of both.

We are seeking people with Autodesk Eagle schematics design knowledge and basic hardware protocol interfaces (e.g., I2C, SPI, Serial) knowledge to participate in a research study. The study will be run fully remotely using Zoom where you will be asked to complete a schematic design using Autodesk Eagle and then using TypedSchematics.

The Zoom session will last for 1 hour and will be scheduled based on your availability. Be expected to screen share an Eagle window during the session. After the session, you will be asked to complete an online questionnaire that takes approximately 25 minutes.

Your participation will be of great help to us in evaluating our tool, apart from giving you knowledge of current research that is being carried out to improve electronic design tools.

To thank you for your participation and feedback, you will receive a $40 Amazon gift card.

Interested participants have the option of reviewing an informative instructional video of our tool prior to the study:

If you are interested in participating in the study, please contact me: jgarzagu at eng.ucsd.edu.

System requirements:
A computer (desktop or laptop) with a touchpad or mouse capable of running Zoom and Autodesk Eagle (Free Version)
(*Note: Our system currently doesn’t support touchscreen inputs).
Microphone and Speakers

* Note: This user study has been approved by the IRB and is limited to people living in the US.

Thank you :)!

jpanhalt:
Autodesk has stopped development of Eagle ("deprecated").  Have you considered using for comparison a program that is current and may remain in the future?

jgarzagu:
In replay to jpanhalt,

Thank you for your question  :).

As far as I know, Eagle and most of its futures have been integrated into Fusion 360.

TypedSchematics uses the Eagle file format on the backend using our own framework for manipulating Eagle files. Eagle and Fusion 360 files are compatible, so our tool can also work with Fusion 360, which is active.

However, for the user study we are not expecting participants to pay for Fusion 360, so we have selected Eagle because it is free, but anyone who wants to use Fusion 360 instead is welcome to participate in the study.

We would like to incorporate other PCB CADs (e.g., KiCAD), and we also want to add PCB blocks, so you can create PCB designs very quickly, which was the main goal. Something we already have achieved in another tool in a different fashion -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I315VCho9jw. But currently we are limited by financial resources and time. Which translates to `I'm the only developer and I'm running out of time to graduate` :scared:.

twospoons:
Just when you thought schematic entry couldn't get any worse ...

jgarzagu:
In replay to twospoons,

Thank you for your honest critique :). I think there may be a misunderstanding of the tool due to lack of broader context and lack of time on my part to post detailed documentation. I admit the entry may looks quite different at first but has its advantages, however the schematic entry is not the main focus of the tool, the main focus is reusability and sharing of schematic blocks. You add reusable Eagle schematic designs to the tool with and additional syntax, hence *typed* schematic. The benefit of having this syntax is that constraint validations can be enabled every time you try to make connections. This way, when others try to use your blocks, the block will be safe from connection errors, as well as providing more information.

This tool is designed to be used in a community environment and is more similar to Altium's Upverter layout https://upverter.com/ with the added benefit that the integration of the different schematics blocks can be done automatically, although we are missing the PCB side. You also don't need to wait for the tool's maintainers to add blocks for you, you can add them yourself. Another similar design, in a certain sense, would be Sparkfun A La Carte https://alc.sparkfun.com/.

TypeSchematics is a tool for rapid prototyping and generation of schematic templates which relies on existing CADs, not a new Schematic / PCB CAD.

BTW. If anyone has any feedback, I'm happy to read it here or via email, it would help me improve the tool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version