Author Topic: Looking for an durable Plastic sheet to replace a current one in a Display  (Read 10407 times)

Offline Lord of nothingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hi
I try to restore an good "old" Tablet "Pc" from some Years ago and thankfully the Top sheet who sit a view mm above the LCD is made just out of an 2mm (I guess) Plastic Sheet with cuted corners. Long story short I dont think that I will find an "original" Replacement so I looking for a Company who produce Plastic Sheets who are coated with some scratch resistant stuff.
Thanks!
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Have you tried Google?  ::)

Plexiglas (acrylic) seems to be your option if you need 2 mm thickness. Available e.g. here, cut to size and with rounded corners if required: https://www.plattenzuschnitt24.de/PLEXIGLAS-kratzfest-Optical-HC-2mm.html

Next time you have a similar question, please post it under "Projects, designs and technical stuff". It really has nothing to do with contract work. Also, please do at least a minimum of homework before asking for help -- measure the thickness instead of "guessing" it, and do your own search.

The following users thanked this post: Lord of nothing

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Polycarbonate plastic is another option.  It's a bit more scratch resistant than acrylic.  One brand name is Lexan.

This is just one source and has metric sizes: https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/polycarbonate_sheets/516

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Polycarbonate plastic is another option.  It's a bit more scratch resistant than acrylic.  One brand name is Lexan.
This is just one source and has metric sizes: https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/polycarbonate_sheets/516

That polycarbonate does not have a scratch-resistant coating -- although, as you said, it is tougher than bare acrylic to start with. I assume the coated acrylic is still ahead in terms of scratch-resistance. Hard-coated polycarbonate is also available, but I could not find any in thicknesses below 3mm.

Not sure how critical scratch resistance actually is in the OP's application. With a 2 mm faceplate, which itself sits a few mm above the LCD (as described in the OP), are we even talking about a touch display here?

• Super Contributor
Hey
Sorry to say Yes I check other Companys and I will send multiple request to them. It its sadly not that simple since the corner are special shaped to avoid to be wrong placed.
The major "problem" is I dont know if a random Acrylic sheet is produce different from the one who is intend to cover the Display. There could be maybe some artefact from pollishing or what ever. When I order some I will order more than 1 since its very easy to replace them. Just carefully remove the Double sided glue thants it.
are we even talking about a touch display here?
Nope its 100% passive. I have to use the Pen for touch.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
It its sadly not that simple since the corner are special shaped to avoid to be wrong placed.

You can always find a separate company to do contour milling of a hardened acrylic plate you provide, e.g. https://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/products#. But that gets much more expensive than the standard contour options offered by the vendor I had linked to above.

Can none of the standard shapes offered by Plattenzuschnitt24 (square, rounded, angled) be made to work? Maybe you could send them an email and they can make a variation on request? Also, you can quite easily fine-tune the shape of an acrylic plate manually with a file, a drill, sandpaper etc., as long as the rough edge remains hidden under a frame eventually.

Could you share a photo of the "exotic" corner shape?

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
There are a lot of workshops, specialized in plastic and all you need to send is a CAD file and they will make the exact shape you want.

I would also go with Polycarbonate / Makrolon
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

• Super Contributor
 ;) Yes maybe someone here have an small Shop or full equipped Basement who can do that?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
;) Yes maybe someone here have an small Shop or full equipped Basement who can do that?

You have not shared a picture yet. But unless it is some unexpectedly complex and precise shape: Buy a rectangular sheet cut to the correct size, get your jigsaw out, and be done with it.  ;)

• Super Contributor
hmm I dont know where I put the sheet in.  :=\
One edge need to be shorter. Well since I (or when some produce it he) want to sell them the should look somewhat profession.  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf