Author Topic: Looking for Resume Feedback for EE Student  (Read 10818 times)

Offline CujoTopic starter

• Contributor
Looking for Resume Feedback for EE Student
« on: December 19, 2022, 07:23:24 am »
Looking feedback would be appreciated for my resume. Some info about my situation: I currently do not have any engineering work experience. In Australia, it is required to have 60 days of accredited work experience to obtain your degree. So I am looking to find some internships/work. I will be currently going into my fourth year in 2023 probably will not be finished till 2024 due to some failed subjects.  :)

Edit: I'm keep updating resume on this thread as I see some improvements.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 06:08:46 am by Cujo »

Offline donnyDA

Re: Looking for Resume Feedback for EE Student
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 04:20:59 am »
With what I see on your resume, you should submit a resume to BAE Systems. Graduate engineers from Adelaide Uni are welcomed there. Why not you ?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 10:03:56 am »
Consider stating what courses you have done. An engineer needs both theory and practice; both are necessary, neither is sufficient.

Consider stating objectives. The ability to define achievable objectives is a good skill. It helps if your objectives are aligned with the organisation you are approaching :)

Before graduating, define a project that isn't on your course, define stretch goals, implement it, make mistakes and workaround them, and be able to state what you would do better next time.

During the university milkround one decent interviewer asked me a question about what I wanted to do (standard boring question). I gave my answer and he asked whether I was just saying that because I thought he would like the answer (competent response indicating he had listened, which isn't guaranteed). My response was that I had thought what I liked to do and thought what I guessed a company needed, and matched the two. He liked that answer, and I eventually joined that company.

Good luck with your career.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 09:07:22 am »
There are two major gaps from my perspective:

You do not state anywhere how well you did, i.e. what grades you got. Maybe it is not common to include these in your part of the world? Over here, it would make readers wonder whether you omit that information since your grades are poor. I would expect at least an average grade/score in the bottom "Education" section.

What I would be looking for most in a student candidate is practical experience and interest outside of university -- technical hobbies, student jobs (even if only remotely relevant to the field). Have you done any programming, electronics, or other tinkering as a hobby? Mention it!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 09:20:39 am by ebastler »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 04:02:11 pm »
Curious about "SPICE" -- does this mean you used a simulator before, or are you fluent in code?  Which variant: command line based, GUI front end, LTSpice, Altium's, etc.?  Might be worthwhile to be a little more specific on this and related items (e.g. I suppose that'd Altium Designer 22?).  Doesn't hurt to be precise, at least when it's so few characters to add.

You do not state anywhere how well you did, i.e. what grades you got. Maybe it is not common to include these in your part of the world? Over here, it would make readers wonder whether you omit that information since your grades are poor. I would expect at least an average grade/score in the bottom "Education" section.

"Honors" implies better than average at least, but agreed there should probably be a quantifier (GPA?). :-+

As for content, the project listing seems fine; maybe specify which classes they were labs of, where applicable (or highlight projects that weren't!!).  Be prepared to discuss things in detail -- for example, you say the oscillator came out with the wrong frequency, why?  Keeping it to one page is fine at this stage, and the unbalanced two-column layout makes efficient use of space, seems good.

Ed: also to reiterate, I don't know US vs. AU differences either, so take this with a grain of salt of course. :)

Tim
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 04:08:05 pm by T3sl4co1l »
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 07:40:28 am »
Another thing employers often look for in student candidates is persistence and follow-through. Rather lacking from the OP in this thread...

Edit: Thanks, Tim, for pointing out the "Honours" attribute; I had indeed missed that. But it seems that in Australia "Bachelor with Honours" has a different meaning. It describes the scope of the degree, i.e. an extra fourth year, rather than the level of achievement. If I understood that correctly, information about the OP's grades is indeed missing in the resume.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 08:57:55 am by ebastler »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 02:53:54 pm »
Another thing employers often look for in student candidates is persistence and follow-through. Rather lacking from the OP in this thread...

Edit: Thanks, Tim, for pointing out the "Honours" attribute; I had indeed missed that. But it seems that in Australia "Bachelor with Honours" has a different meaning. It describes the scope of the degree, i.e. an extra fourth year, rather than the level of achievement. If I understood that correctly, information about the OP's grades is indeed missing in the resume.

Ah, then that would be indeed one of those differences!

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf