General > Work Wanted

On the job hunt in Sydney

<< < (4/7) > >>

EEVblog:

--- Quote from: logictom on September 25, 2014, 05:50:50 am ---I have come across maybe two jobs that indicate the salary they're prepared to offer but they have been fairly large ranges, eg 60-110k.
I suppose it's like asking the length of a piece of string but can anyone give any pointers to what range you could expect for a job with around 3 years experience, the company itself designs data loggers and remote monitoring type of products.

--- End quote ---

I haven't been keeping up to date on the industry, but that $60K-$110K figure would be right, it can be that large. Depends entirely upon who the company is, whether you come into a project which is cashed pumped at the start, or cash starved at the end, how desperate they are to get you etc.
Personally, if they ask, I never tell them a figure, instead I say if they like me then make me an an decent offer and I'll consider it. IMO there is really no upside to answering the question and quoting a figure.
Anyone who does answer the question with a firm confident figure, it's hard not to get the impression that they are simply in it for the money and not because they like the company and/or the potential work. IMO it's a bit unprofessional to ask an interviewee that question, and hints at being a bit unprofessional to answer it at the interview.

I'd probably think you'd be in at least the $70K range. I've seen good graduates get in the $60K range.

EEVblog:

--- Quote from: logictom on September 25, 2014, 05:50:50 am ---Murphy is at work again as the job is on the other side of Sydney

--- End quote ---

From where to where?

logictom:

--- Quote from: EdoNork on September 25, 2014, 06:16:33 am ---Evaluate time from home to work and work to home and add it to the working hours to calculate how much really your salary will be per hour.

--- End quote ---
I hadn't thought about it like that before but it's a valid point. In my previous job I used to commute 45 minutes on a good day and  up to about an 1hr 20mins when the traffic was bad but then we moved home and 15 minutes was long journey as I avoided the traffic going into the city - they then moved the business to the other side of the city and it was back to the longer commute :palm:

--- Quote from: EEVblog on September 25, 2014, 07:58:16 am ---Personally, if they ask, I never tell them a figure, instead I say if they like me then make me an an decent offer and I'll consider it. IMO there is really no upside to answering the question and quoting a figure.
Anyone who does answer the question with a firm confident figure, it's hard not to get the impression that they are simply in it for the money and not because they like the company and/or the potential work. IMO it's a bit unprofessional to ask an interviewee that question, and hints at being a bit unprofessional to answer it at the interview.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, that sounds like good advice and I would be happy approaching it like that, leave the ball firmly in their court.

--- Quote from: EEVblog on September 25, 2014, 07:58:55 am ---From where to where?

--- End quote ---

Arncliffe to Bella Vista, Google maps reckons 1hr 5mins, but that's now in the middle of the day, public transport says 1hr 30mins which I'm guessing will be the same or quicker than car in rush hour but I would have to give both a go to find out.
If all the other variables work out I don't mind a longer commute in return for an enjoyable job but here's to hearing from another application I put in for a job two stations up the road.

zapta:

--- Quote from: logictom on September 25, 2014, 05:50:50 am ---Murphy is at work again as the job is on the other side of Sydney.

--- End quote ---

Could be much worse

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/australian-leader-warns-planned-random-attack-25585654

EEVblog:

--- Quote from: logictom on September 26, 2014, 04:00:07 am ---Arncliffe to Bella Vista

--- End quote ---

You'd be right next door to the EEVblog lab!

--- Quote ---Google maps reckons 1hr 5mins, but that's now in the middle of the day, public transport says 1hr 30mins which I'm guessing will be the same or quicker than car in rush hour but I would have to give both a go to find out.

--- End quote ---

Good news is that is completely against the flow of traffic.
But ouch, that is about as bad as it gets. Basically anything that crosses North-South will be a dog.
Also, you will get hit with the worst possible polls path in Sydney - M2, Lane Cove Tunnel, Bridge (coming in), and I think another one getting under the city. That could be in the order of a couple of hundred bucks a week!
M5-M7 is another option, but that might more of a dog.
There is only one bus route that goes to Bella Vista, and you'd have to swap in the city, probably 1.5hrs total each way, awful.

I would really think long and hard about taking that job, IMO it's just not worth it to travel that far.
Looks for jobs on the south side of the city, they often have a hard time getting people in electronics because probably the majority live on the north side.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version