General > Work Wanted

On the job hunt in Sydney

<< < (5/7) > >>

atunguyd:

--- Quote from: EEVblog on July 27, 2014, 11:47:51 am ---BTW, Sydney is basically split into two by the Great Western Highway / M4 Motorway, North and South.
Whichever half you work in you generally want to live in that half as well, otherwise it can be quite dog to get from one side to the other.
Whereabouts is the wife working?

--- End quote ---

To add to this. Generally if you live south of the harbour bridge you want to work south of it and visa versa . Crossing that bridge every day is extremely painful no matter what the time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

logictom:

--- Quote from: EEVblog on September 26, 2014, 04:42:47 am ---That could be in the order of a couple of hundred bucks a week!

--- End quote ---
I didn't realise the cost of the tolls, but looking at the different roads and costs per toll it does add up pretty quick!

--- Quote from: EEVblog on September 26, 2014, 04:42:47 am ---I would really think long and hard about taking that job, IMO it's just not worth it to travel that far.
Looks for jobs on the south side of the city, they often have a hard time getting people in electronics because probably the majority live on the north side.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: atunguyd on September 26, 2014, 05:08:57 am ---To add to this. Generally if you live south of the harbour bridge you want to work south of it and visa versa . Crossing that bridge every day is extremely painful no matter what the time.

--- End quote ---
I have driven across there a couple of times for the interviews and even through the day when the traffic doesn't seem too bad it has taken over an hour each way, I got caught up in traffic heading back down after around 4:15 and that was significantly slower than heading north. They offered me the job, and it sounds like a good match, but I think the travel is just going to burn through too much of the day.
I would consider it if I could use public transport by just jumping on the train with a quick walk at the end, at least I could bring a book/laptop but it would require multiple changes, I wouldn't be able to just sit down and get on with something until I get there.

I've been asked back for a second interview at a company down in Mascot which is a 15 minute train ride and short walk at the other end, a much better commute. Not quite as good a match but sounds like an interesting job, working for a medical company throwing together prototypes and the likes, before any of the messy paperwork is involved :)

On the commuting side of things I was thinking about picking up one of those folding bikes to shorten any travel to and from the train station if I end up near a train station. I never realised how much the Brompton bikes cost, for something with mudflaps and 3 gears you're talking over $2000 :o I think I'll stick to walking for now!

EEVblog:

--- Quote from: logictom on October 10, 2014, 02:23:13 am ---I didn't realise the cost of the tolls, but looking at the different roads and costs per toll it does add up pretty quick!

--- End quote ---

Yep, it's actually a huge cost when you do the math on it, plus petrol and wear'n'tear. You burn a lot of fuel sitting in traffic.

--- Quote ---I have driven across there a couple of times for the interviews and even through the day when the traffic doesn't seem too bad it has taken over an hour each way, I got caught up in traffic heading back down after around 4:15 and that was significantly slower than heading north.

--- End quote ---

Getting out of Norwest Blvd is a nightmare after 5pm. Then it just gets worse.
If it took you over an hour each way in non peak hour, add 30min easily for peak.

--- Quote --- They offered me the job, and it sounds like a good match, but I think the travel is just going to burn through too much of the day.

--- End quote ---

Yep. Unless they can offer to let you work any hours you want, and/or work from home occasionally, it's not worth it.

--- Quote ---I would consider it if I could use public transport by just jumping on the train with a quick walk at the end, at least I could bring a book/laptop but it would require multiple changes, I wouldn't be able to just sit down and get on with something until I get there.

--- End quote ---

Yes, public transport changes the game a fair bit.

--- Quote ---I've been asked back for a second interview at a company down in Mascot which is a 15 minute train ride and short walk at the other end, a much better commute. Not quite as good a match but sounds like an interesting job, working for a medical company throwing together prototypes and the likes, before any of the messy paperwork is involved :)

--- End quote ---

Take it!
Seriously, take it.

logictom:

--- Quote from: EEVblog on October 10, 2014, 03:38:32 am ---Getting out of Norwest Blvd is a nightmare after 5pm. Then it just gets worse.
If it took you over an hour each way in non peak hour, add 30min easily for peak.

--- End quote ---

I figured as much as I know google maps only estimates the traffic at the time of day when you generate the directions plus they is always variation, sometimes small, sometimes significant delays. I think predicting rush hour traffic is a bit like winning the lottery.

--- Quote from: EEVblog on October 10, 2014, 03:38:32 am ---Take it!
Seriously, take it.

--- End quote ---
I will be putting on my best show on Tuesday with the hopes of getting it, fingers crossed! It's definitely the best of all the jobs I've found as yet in terms of the work involved and the distance.

I did have an interview at another company but that was purely a firmware position, sounded better on paper than it was, again over an hour drive away. They farm out all the electronic design to contractors in the Philippines, I'm sure debugging any hardware issues would be a barrel of fun.
I had an interview with the project manager followed by the bloke I would be replacing and then after that I was emailed one of those online select the most likely and least likely match for my personality, 20 odd questions type profiling system. If they can't suss you out in person how is an online system like that going to help them out? I haven't heard back from that stage but after that was a phone interview with the CEO followed by a lunch with the CEO, talk about jumping through all the hoops!

SeanB:
Serious good luck with the interview. I know just how bad a long commute is, and I live in a country with even less traffic, and no real public transport.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version