Author Topic: On the job hunt in Sydney  (Read 18280 times)

Offline logictomTopic starter

• Supporter
Re: On the job hunt in Sydney
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 02:05:35 am »
Serious good luck with the interview. I know just how bad a long commute is, and I live in a country with even less traffic, and no real public transport.
Thanks Sean, I will let you know how it goes :-+

Offline gregariz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 04:17:52 am »
I saw a couple of jobs in Sydney that caught my attention and am wondering if there is a bit of an uptick in electronics there at the moment?

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 12:22:49 am »
The interview went well yesterday and I will find out end of the this week/beginning of next whether I have been successful.
Murphy is really on my case, they told me that they are moving the business, nothing signed but planned for beginning of next year, and of course it's north of the bridge ::)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 05:05:20 pm »
Clotho is sending you a message that a move is in your future.......

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2014, 03:57:58 am »
Murphy is really on my case, they told me that they are moving the business, nothing signed but planned for beginning of next year, and of course it's north of the bridge ::)

Of course!  :clap:

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2015, 09:39:54 am »
Just spotted this post has been moved to the work wanted section, can't believe it's almost been 6 months since I last posted.
Sorry I didn't leave any feedback. I ended up in the last two for the job with the medical company but they went with the other guy so I went for the one up in Bella Vista.
I takes an hour to get there which isn't as bad I was expecting but we are planning to move close when our current rental tenancy runs out.
Job is great otherwise and I'm learning plenty as I joined right when the products were getting an overhaul and one is going to be completely redesigned so that has kept me busy that the last few months have disappeared, that and exploring in and around Sydney.

I was surprised they had quite a bit of trouble finding good candidates, they were looking for another engineer after I joined but they had already stopped taking new applications when I joined, they interviewed quite a few numpties that had trouble with the quick paperand soldering test that they give.
It seems tough on both sides, finding a good job and finding good employees, I guess it's the same everywhere and it just comes down to the right place at the right time.

Thanks for all the advice along the way, I'll stick up a post if we start looking again, which might be sometime soon  :-+

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2015, 11:04:47 pm »
Sorry I didn't leave any feedback. I ended up in the last two for the job with the medical company but they went with the other guy so I went for the one up in Bella Vista.

You might spot me hanging around Norwest shopping centre...

Offline lm3baker

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 11:43:41 am »

I was surprised they had quite a bit of trouble finding good candidates, they were looking for another engineer after I joined but they had already stopped taking new applications when I joined, they interviewed quite a few numpties that had trouble with the quick paperand soldering test that they give.
It seems tough on both sides, finding a good job and finding good employees, I guess it's the same everywhere and it just comes down to the right place at the right time.

Where were they advertising / looking for candidates?
I know a lot of electronics grads struggling to find work (I am one of them).
Even with 18 months post Uni experience in R&D, most advertised positions seem not to actually exist.
They might acknowledge receipt of paperwork, however most never even bother to send a rejection letter |O

I gave up and applied for Telstra grad program, got to assessment centre stage so the paperwork can't be that bad (or can it...)?

Maybe the good companies advertise where the dodgy candidates look, and the good candidates look where the dodgy companies advertise?

Offline MMDuino

• Regular Contributor
  • First impressions are lasting...
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2015, 11:06:20 am »
Indeed!

Where were they advertising / looking for candidates?
I know a lot of electronics grads struggling to find work (I am one of them).
Even with 18 months post Uni experience in R&D, most advertised positions seem not to actually exist.
They might acknowledge receipt of paperwork, however most never even bother to send a rejection letter |O

I gave up and applied for Telstra grad program, got to assessment centre stage so the paperwork can't be that bad (or can it...)?

Maybe the good companies advertise where the dodgy candidates look, and the good candidates look where the dodgy companies advertise?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf