Author Topic: british citizen working in Germany, rest of EU?  (Read 6117 times)

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
british citizen working in Germany, rest of EU?
« on: October 24, 2021, 01:33:51 pm »
Hi,
If,as a British Citizen, you take a  electronics job in the EU, say in Germany or Belgium etc…does that then mean that you are not at liberty to apply for a different job in Germany? Ie, because you are only allowed to work at the company who is sponsoring you?
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: british citizen working in Germany, rest of EU?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 01:55:41 pm »
Hi,
If,as a British Citizen, you take a  electronics job in the EU, say in Germany or Belgium etc…does that then mean that you are not at liberty to apply for a different job in Germany? Ie, because you are only allowed to work at the company who is sponsoring you?

You can thank Maude, 87, in Clacton-on-Sea, for doing her level best and having the foresight to protect you against being able to do that!

The following users thanked this post: Warhawk, Faringdon

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 02:13:44 pm »
In this  german page it is explained quite well:
https://www.bamf.de/EN/Themen/MigrationAufenthalt/ZuwandererDrittstaaten/Migrathek/BlaueKarteEU/blauekarteeu-node.html

Basically you have to have a job in the EU. But as I read it, as long as you HAVE a job (not necessarily with the same company) it is ok- but the moment you get unemployed you will lose your work status and have to go back.

I have just gotten a colleague as a Sysadmin moving in here from a non-EU country, and there some paperwork to do, mainly with registration as a citizen here in germany. But if paperwork is in order, and there is a job conttract, it is no big deal.

The following users thanked this post: Faringdon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 12:03:10 pm »
Thanks, thing is, if you have to go back to UK as soon as you loose your job in Germany (say), then you are effectively trapped in that particular German company forever...because as soon as you start applying for other jobs in Germany...then your employer can threaten to sack you, which would mean you having to go back to UK....so you are stuck...and cannot leave the company where you work at?

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 05:01:26 pm »
Welcome to Brexit, the gift that really does keep in giving, for years and years to come.  :palm:

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 05:16:04 pm »
When the UK freely decided to leave the EU, that presumably led directly to the removal of free access to the EU labor market as well as other features of the now-cancelled membership.

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 05:52:20 pm »
Your employer in Germany can not sack you for simply applying for another job. How would they even know? Worst that can happen is that you have to wait for a few months before you start your new job. That should all be laid out in your contract.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 07:46:16 pm »
Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember you were a rabid cheerleader for Brexit and lauded your hero Sir James Offshore Singapore Dyson for his pro brexit views.

You got what you voted for.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 09:25:53 am »
Thanks, but i voted remain.

Also, i think employers always know if you put your CV on the job boards......recruiters ring them and tell them "by the way, you know such and such is wanting out".
Even if you speak to a single recruiter in private, they immediately tell their colleague , who tells your boss you are applying elsewhere.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 12:30:52 pm »
[...]  i think employers always know if you put your CV on the job boards......recruiters ring them and tell them "by the way, you know such and such is wanting out".
Even if you speak to a single recruiter in private, they immediately tell their colleague , who tells your boss you are applying elsewhere.

You are probably right about that.  So, once you come to the conclusion that you are not happy where you are, you must put significant effort into quickly finding a new "home".   It almost always means you end up in a better job situation than before...

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 08:07:42 pm »

Also, i think employers always know if you put your CV on the job boards......recruiters ring them and tell them "by the way, you know such and such is wanting out".

See, now I highly doubt that but as you've had so many different personas and have deleted your anti-eu ranting website I can't prove it.

I do agree about recruiters, they're scum.

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 08:14:13 pm »

See, now I highly doubt that but as you've had so many different personas and have deleted your anti-eu ranting website I can't prove it.

I do agree about recruiters, they're scum.

If you send your CV to a recruiter for the purposes of looking for a new position, and they contact your current employer and inform them, they could well be in breach of GDPR. Report them to the ICO for misuse of your data.

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 09:55:01 pm »
Hi,
If you take a job in the EU, you are perfectly able to apply for a different job elsewhere.
But once you leave the employ of EU company#1 you become a non-EU tourist, until EU company#2 sponsors you.

We Brits have the same rights now as the rest of the non-EU world.

However, with senior EE jobs in Cambridge offering 70K-90K why would you deprive plucky 'ole blighty of your skills? Dust off your CV Faringdon and enjoy that sweet-sweet £££
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf